what is the best way and easiest way to write a good riff
no matter how hard I try I can't manage to write a riff that sounds decent

do you have any methods of writing riffs?
do you use scales? chord shapes? etc.
personally to write a riff it has to come to me first, then i figure it out on the guitar. I think that these are often the best ones. Just use your ear to figure out what sounds good.
I usually just play around and eventually i'll come up with riffs that i like, not using any music theory. Sometimes using music theory just complicates things
Know your scales and almost all riff`s are in minor because the distance between (Example)
E - G is really rocky.
Good riff`s are Muse - New Born and Plug In Baby. Enter Sandman. RATM/Audioslave has also good riffs. But when you have a riff in your head try to play it on your guitar. I usually play eventually something really different. But write that riff down and play it often, try to get it longer or better.
Quote by Saitoh
I usually just play around and eventually i'll come up with riffs that i like, not using any music theory. Sometimes using music theory just complicates things

+1,

I had a period in wich I had thoughts like:
"Yeah, good riff but if you look the chords played underneath it`s not right in theory."

Then I thought, screw it! Emaj - Gmaj. Emaj - Gm, I don`t care! It`s about that it sounds good.
im usually just messing around improvising in a certain key and i just stumble on

something then i'll go back and play it and tab it out or record it on my phone so

i remember it
Just Play Your Guitar.

That's how you get the best riffs.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
What my friend sometimes does is if he suddenly gets an idea, but no guitar to hand, he'll record the rhythm / beat on his phone just by using his voice "dada daa da da" or something, you know what I mean. Then he'll play it back later and play something round that. It does work, he's actually come with some sh1t hot riffs that way!
Quote by mdc
What my friend sometimes does is if he suddenly gets an idea, but no guitar to hand, he'll record the rhythm / beat on his phone just by using his voice "dada daa da da" or something, you know what I mean. Then he'll play it back later and play something round that. It does work, he's actually come with some sh1t hot riffs that way!

True, sometimes you just get an idea in your head for a riff or melody rather than creating it while playing!
^Thats a really good idea. Sometimes I feel like I come up with awsome riffs but im in the car with no radio on or spacing out at work with no guitar around and at home i cant remember it.