right so i wanna get a pedal to play metal with, its gotta be versatile cos i play on loadsa different amps,
so im open for suggestions... but pls give a reason why.

also, ive found some distortions even when theyve got a ton of gain. . . its just really hard to do pinch harmonics, and i use pinch harmonics tons so its gotta ring them out....

cheeerrs
I am ashamed that someone named gilmourish wants to play metal AND has attrocious grammar.

Anyways, Metal Muff is ok but it's kinda fuzzy and it won't get you chugging palm mutes.

Pinch harmonics are all about technique so you must not be good at them.
^Yeah, you can do pinch harmonics on an acoustic if you're good enough, you should keep practicing them.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I am ashamed that someone named gilmourish wants to play metal AND has attrocious grammar.

Anyways, Metal Muff is ok but it's kinda fuzzy and it won't get you chugging palm mutes.

lol..............fuzz and no chugging palm mutes.........your way off.
I'd recommend the new pedal digitech made.The Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion .I haven't tried it yet but with 4 knobs for your tone and switch from tight to loose,I don't think there's a better pedal.
My pedals:
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah GCB-95
Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-9)
Digitech Hot Head
MXR Phase 90
Digitech DigiDelay
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I think you are way off. Ask pretty much anyone else and they will say the same. The top boost is useless and the pedal isn't a chugging pedal. Not fuzzy though, more like fizzy. Fuzzy was the wrong way to describe it.

your still way off.
Quote by acdcrocks0323

The Metal Muff is very chuggable. It might get a little fizzy with the gain and volume cranked - and that's depending on the amp settings as well.
Metal Muff does me proud. The top boost is only "useless" if you crank it - set low it can add a nice trebly bite at appropriate moments. There maybe are more "chuggy" pedals out there - I can't say I've done many comparisons - but you can certainly get chugging out of a Metal Muff.

I'd say it matched the threadstarter's "versatile" criteria as well, as you can get a pretty decent range of metal tones out of it - or turn the distortion way down, and it gives you a nice old-school rock sound.

I'd definitely endorse the Metal Muff, but do spend a while fiddling around with it finding the right settings for you. And yes, you can make pinch harmonics with it
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by TheUnholy
Metal Muff does me proud. The top boost is only "useless" if you crank it - set low it can add a nice trebly bite at appropriate moments. There maybe are more "chuggy" pedals out there - I can't say I've done many comparisons - but you can certainly get chugging out of a Metal Muff.

I'd say it matched the threadstarter's "versatile" criteria as well, as you can get a pretty decent range of metal tones out of it - or turn the distortion way down, and it gives you a nice old-school rock sound.

I'd definitely endorse the Metal Muff, but do spend a while fiddling around with it finding the right settings for you. And yes, you can make pinch harmonics with it

I agree with all you've said about the Metal Muff.

Just don't get the Metal Muff confused with the Big Muff, there's no chug in that fuzz...
Drew
Why thank you.

Offtopic a sec, is your name taken from the Brothers Karamazov? I'm about to start reading that, once I've finished the Solzhenitsyn book I'm on just now.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

Squigglymetal!
you still havent realy answered my question?

and just cos my name is gilmourish doesnt mean i have to play pink floyd, pink floyd and more pink floyd.

i play loads of different stuff, including metal, blues AND pink floyd
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem - awesome pedal
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by TheUnholy
Why thank you.

Offtopic a sec, is your name taken from the Brothers Karamazov? I'm about to start reading that, once I've finished the Solzhenitsyn book I'm on just now.

Yes, the name is from Dostoevsky's book. The Brothers Karamazov was excellent. If you haven't read Crime and Punishment or The Idiot, they will read a little more smoothly and will give you an idea of Dostoevsky's style and overall beliefs. I read those two, as well as Notes from Underground, before the Brothers K and I think that made the Brothers all the better.

Sorry for the off topic.

Back to your regularly scheduled distortion pedal discussion.
Drew
To Ivan: Yep, read both of those . Crime and Punishment especially remains a piece of genius literature as far as I'm concerned. The Idiot was good also. If you're into your Russian literature, I definitely reccomend Solzhenitsyn. Obviously he's more modern than Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy, but IMO he's no lesser in standard.

To Gilmourish:
four people have endorsed the Metal Muff
one each have endorsed:
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Digitech TL-2
Protone Body Rot
Line 6 Uber Metal

Tbh, your question has been answered a fair bit . One further piece of advice that I'd offer is to read reviews on harmony-central.com of the ones you're interested in.
Quote by adamrandall

Squigglymetal!