Ahoy! I have the Vox AD120VT, an amp infamous for it's major cut-out problem. I've noticed that just tapping on the top board of the amp where the volume/tone/effects are cause the amp to immediately be silenced, and then suddenly burst back into life. This suggests that there must be some fault with whatever's inside, so maybe a dry joint? But I've investigated and there isn't anything I could see that looked wrongly soldered, it just looked like some epicly complicated motherboard.

I rang Vox and they're all, 'why, hay thar! just send it to London and we can try and fix it!' which I consider a terrible idea seen as I'm in Manchester, that should cost, what, £100 both ways to post!? And if it comes back not repaired.. That's £100 down the crapper..

So my idea is to buy a new all tube head and wire it up to the speakers in the Vox. It's not got bad specs, what with the two 12 inch Celestion speakers. So is this a feasible task? Or am I going to have to buy a whole new amp?

That would suck some serious ass, considering I paid top dollar for the vox, I figured the top of the line model would be pretty much faultless, how wrong I was..
Yo Homes, To Belair
It's not a half stack by the way. It's the all in one thing. ->

So it would basically become a cab.
Yo Homes, To Belair
Technically, it should work. The AD120VT is wired for stereo but you should be able to wire them together for mono instead. As long as you know what impedance the speakers except and get an amp head that works fine with that, there should be no problems.

I don't know what speakers there are in there though, I'd expect them to have a fairly flat response (considering that the amp is a modeling amp) which might not be what you are looking for in a guitar speaker.
You'd be better off taking it to a shop in manc. for repairs.

Most places seem to charge 50 pounds plus the cost of any components for any amp repair.
Quote by johlin
Technically, it should work. The AD120VT is wired for stereo but you should be able to wire them together for mono instead. As long as you know what impedance the speakers except and get an amp head that works fine with that, there should be no problems.

I don't know what speakers there are in there though, I'd expect them to have a fairly flat response (considering that the amp is a modeling amp) which might not be what you are looking for in a guitar speaker.

Sweet, there're two 12 inch Celestions, and their impedance is 8 ohms. Sounds pretty standard, no?
Yo Homes, To Belair
Quote by BrianApocalypse
You'd be better off taking it to a shop in manc. for repairs.

Most places seem to charge 50 pounds plus the cost of any components for any amp repair.

I guess, but there's no certainty that it would be fixed. If it came back with the same problem I will have wasted £50+ that could have been put toward some cheap head that works for once.
Yo Homes, To Belair
Yes that does sound pretty standard. Wire them in series and you get 16 ohms, wire them in parallel and you get 4 ohms. Get a head that can handle either of those and you'll be ready to go.

Still, you might want to replace those speakers later on as they might not be suited for a regular guitar amp. You've got a nice cabinet though which should be just fine.