Hello there, new to this website so i hope this is the right place to post this.
Any ways im trying to get to terms with tapping and im really struggerling.
Im trying to learn Rose for the Dead by funeral for a friend
and its my left hand tapping im struggerling with, do you littlerly just tap the fret, or do you do more of a hammer-on-pull-off in one motion?

Any advice you guys can give me will be of great help! thank you
i use my pointer and ring finger for the left handed part. that song was the first tapping i learnt.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I'm also learning how to tap, and I might not be the right person to take advice from, but from my short experience, its better to do a hammer on pull off motion, but a really big pull off. I've prob got it wrong, but i hope I could help anyway
Quote by mattvl
Are you right or left handed?

oh yeah. that probably would've helped. i was just assuming he was right handed.
Alright, I will try and help.

The concept of taping is the same as Hammer-ons/pull-offs. The only thing is you are using your other hand. So when you do the initial tap, slam your finger enough to make the note sound. Then when you are going to the next note you kinda throw or pluck the note with that finger. What I mean is you can make a flick motion away from your hand or towards the inside of your hand.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-XMr12RJIIY

He is a good teacher maybe he can get it better then me.
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
Alright, I will try and help.

The concept of taping is the same as Hammer-ons/pull-offs. The only thing is you are using your other hand. So when you do the initial tap, slam your finger enough to make the note sound. Then when you are going to the next note you kinda throw or pluck the note with that finger. What I mean is you can make a flick motion away from your hand or towards the inside of your hand.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-XMr12RJIIY

He is a good teacher maybe he can get it better then me.

thats good advice but doesnt apply to the song he's trying to learn.
Give me a second to look at the song...

Edit:

So you mean that type of tapping. It is basically the same concept only you are trying to avoid the pull-off part.

Slam you finger down on the string then lift off with basically straight up. That is the tricky part though, not lifting at an angle.

You do this for all fingers by the way not just your picking-hand.

If any of this makes any sense.
Last edited by Nacho Cheese! at Jul 30, 2008,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxRPQXHp9VA

This video helped me some, really simple. I had the same problem and some of it you just need to try until the motion and rhythm clicks. To answer your question though, you hammer on with your right hand and then pull-off. Remember that when you pull off, its not just taking your finger off, you have to pull downwards to get the sound. then you have your other two fingers of your left still stationed on their frets. With your ring or pinky finger (whichever you're fretting with you to the next pull off) do another pull off with to the best of your ability. Now really, do this slow and gradually build up speed once you get it, if you start off really fast you'll just get annoyed, trust me. Once you get the motion down, it's simple. Feel free to PM me if you're still at a loss, i spent hours on youtube watching lessons so i know where your coming from
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Ah thanks alot guys! and yes im right handed
so does the right hand follow the same motion of a hammer on - pull off?
Quote by Nick7uk
Ah thanks alot guys! and yes im right handed
so does the right hand follow the same motion of a hammer on - pull off?

Both hands are to do the same motion.