I want to learn how to fingerpick and I would like to learn how to play using plastic finger picks because I think it will force me to use good technique. Is this a good idea? At the moment they seem really clunky but I'm sure I will get better at it. Also can anyone point me in the right direction for videos or pictures for picking technique with or without finger picks. I don't really want to get a teacher because I'm only doing this on the side really and I don't want to be a virtuoso at it or anything.

Mine look sort of like this:
I think the steel ones have a cleaner sound matched with a plastic thumb pick . You probably already know this but in case you don't, wear them on the bottom of the finger not on top!

I used to use picks once but now I use plain fingernails but some people have trouble with them not being strong enough.

A word on fingerpicking:

"if you want to do finger picking, the nylon string guitar excels. Because the strings are farther apart it is easier to hit a single string without touching the adjacent strings. While finger picking can be done on a steel stringed guitar, it is usually hard to learn on it without picking up bad habits like using the little finger of the right hand as an anchor or collapsing the wrist so it lays on the guitar body. We pick up these habits on steel-stringed axes because the space between strings is so small we need an anchor to attain better accuracy. These bad habits will often keep you from attaining the best possible tone and speed as your years of experience accumulate. Hence it is wise to learn finger picking on a nylon guitar using the correct right hand positions. Once your right hand learns the proper technique and you become accurate, then you can apply the techniques to steel stringed and even electric guitars with no bad habits slowing you down".
Quote by shoted
I want to learn how to fingerpick and I would like to learn how to play using plastic finger picks because I think it will force me to use good technique.
Who told you that? You can finger pick without using "finger picks." In fact, if you're just starting to learn fingerpicking, plastic finger picks will make it ten times harder. They're clumsy and can be a detriment to developing good technique if they're not properly fitted to your fingers. They don't give you the same feel of the strings. Save the picks for later, in case your nails are too weak to grow out or you need more volume.
Quote by sunshowers
Who told you that? You can finger pick without using "finger picks." In fact, if you're just starting to learn fingerpicking, plastic finger picks will make it ten times harder. They're clumsy and can be a detriment to developing good technique if they're not properly fitted to your fingers. They don't give you the same feel of the strings. Save the picks for later, in case your nails are too weak to grow out or you need more volume.

Ah well no one told me, it was just my silly logic I guess. That's why I asked to make sure. I just can't look after long finger nails too well.
Last edited by shoted at Jul 31, 2008,
If you can't manage your fingernails go steel finger picks, just like every pro. that uses picks. Nobody uses plastic finger picks. Their crap. All banjo bluegrass players use steel too.