http://youtube.com/watch?v=tEM3dW2oWW4

On "Paul Revere", they mixed the bass where it's backwards... it fades in then hits hard and immediately is muted, instead of hitting then fading away as usual. I understand it's not even a bass guitar too, but at the same time, can you make a bass guitar mimick this sound???
A: The drum track is played in reverse, there is no bass guitar in that song.

B: If you want to reproduce a reverse sound try a Boss Delay Pedal, DD-6 or DD-7, they have a reverse mode.
Something with reverse delay? I don't think you can copy it. It sounds more like a bass drum.

Edit: He beat me too it.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
Quote by Bertallica
there is no bass guitar in that song

I'm pretty sure I already explained that "I understand it's not even a bass guitar".

If you listen to it on a real system that is bass heavy, it has a ton of boomy bass, it's more than just drums, it lingers too much, it's the typical rap bass. It's probably keyboards or something. I don't really know how those rap boys get bass into their songs. It's definitely not normal drums though, but maybe you can attach an effect to a drum machine and get that lingering booming bass.
Or you can get Reverse Delay functions.

Or you can get a slow attack fade, though that probably won't work as well.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
How long have you been playing? I think you should be able to tell 2 totally different instruments apart.
Quote by Slay 'Em
How long have you been playing? I think you should be able to tell 2 totally different instruments apart.

WTF? I've been playing and listening to that album plenty long enough to know that it's neither a bass guitar nor a simple bass drum. It's some kind of effect and I don't know how they do it. When I play guitar I don't exactly study up on how to get boomy bass in rap tracks anyway, kinda hard to pin that down on inexperienced playing.

If you had ever heard this song in a car with a killer stereo you'd know that the bass on that track is no simple drum.

There is lingering bass that is typical of rap artists, maybe keyboard? I dunno, but you're not going to hear it well on those ****ty 2" PC speakers you've got turned on. Listen to it on a real stereo then tell me you know exactly what it is.

Regardless of what it is, I was simply asking if I could somehow get close with a bass guitar.
So you want the sound of a reversed drum sample, but from a bass? You'll be trying to milk a goldfish next
Quote by smb
So you want the sound of a reversed drum sample, but from a bass? You'll be trying to milk a goldfish next

Makes excellent cheese.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by smb

Silly Boyce. Goldfish don't make milk!

They aren't mammals!

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by smb

It's not a friggin drum. Listen to it on a real stereo. That's like saying all of the boom from Snoop Dogg's "gin and juice" is a bass drum. It's just not.

On a crappy stereo, all you are hearing is a bass drum beat. There is more to the recording than that!!! A good half second before you hear it hit, there is a booming rumble that fades in. There is much more to it than the simple hit that you're hearing on your PC speakers. If you were familiar with this recording being played on a decent system you'd know how it sounded.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by corndogggy
It's not a friggin drum. Listen to it on a real stereo. That's like saying all of the boom from Snoop Dogg's "gin and juice" is a bass drum. It's just not.
Hopefully my Harman/Kardon counts as a "real stereo" ...I've told you where the sample is from so go and listen to it and you'll see what sound is what.
Quote by smb
I've told you where the sample is from so go and listen to it and you'll see what sound is what.

Yeah, and I listened to it... i like funky music - uncle louie:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QpQWKZjNgXs

All I hear is a typical bass guitar and typical bass drum. I don't know what you're talking about.

After reading about it, my first impression was that this album had a remix come out with various samples, but I guess that's not the case. I still don't get the connection with the bass.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jul 30, 2008,
I'll heard this played on a car bass system plenty of times, I know exactly how it's done. It's done with a Roland 808 drum machine, most people call that type of drum sample a bass drop or hum.

For this song though, they recorded it, played it in reverse and recorded their vocals over it in the studio. The entire drum track is done this way, listen to the cymbals and hit hat, they're also in reverse.

But how can you reproduce this with a bass guitar? You're not going to be able to make your bass make that reverse bass drop sound.

Get your self an 808 drum machine or look for samples on the web and bass out to your hearts content.
That's a bass drum.

The reason it sounds boomy in your car is because car stereo manufacturers and rappers alike mistake that muddy BOOMHF sound for bass and boost those frequencies til you can't tell a bass guitar for a bass drum.
It's like Bertallica said, it's an 808 that's been reversed, along with the rest of the drum track. Simple as.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
On Paul Revere:

"I think that the whole concept of trying the drum backwards was a mistake, and then it turned into a record. Everybody was congratulating themselves on how creative they were, but in fact, it was really a mistake." - Russell Simmons.