my very first guitar was a ****ty target les paul thing. i was considering making it into a metal machine. i googled for a tutorial but i couldnt find anything really good. anybody?
ur gonna need 2 do a hell of a lot of routing
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
haha i know dude i know.
its a giant piece of poop already so i really won't mind if i mess it up terribly
It's probably not worth the money to mod it. You could spend the amount to mod it on a completely new (or used) guitar which would be better than it. The body is probably made of cheap plywood and however much you mod it you can't change the body or neck, and if you did, you might as well just buy a whole other guitar.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
dont even bother, i'd just smash it against a brick wall and watch it's pieces go flying everywhere. then i'd go to guitar center and buy myself a gibson or epiphone les paul...
Quote by randomhero93
dont even bother, i'd just smash it against a brick wall and watch it's pieces go flying everywhere. then i'd go to guitar center and buy myself a gibson or epiphone les paul...

yeah i agree i may not smash but i prolly hamg on wall jst to keep but go gibson or epi
the main reason i wanted to do this was to get a bit of practice in modding. i already own a telecaster that i love very much and will continue to play if mr. target guitar gets destroyed

Quote by randomhero93

veeeeeeeery good idea.....
rondomusic.com has nice LP copies with LFR's on them although I heard you can contact him and get an OFR on it.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Quote by AgresiveNapkins
rondomusic.com has nice LP copies with LFR's on them although I heard you can contact him and get an OFR on it.

+1
there is another option, as long as you're open to spending a lot of money. Warmoth.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by randomhero93

yeah, screw donating it to a Salvation Army or giving it to some kid who can't afford a guitar. just smash it to pieces cuz its a crap guitar.
makes perfect sense.
lemme guess, does the 93 in your screen name refer to the year you were born, or your IQ?
OH YEAH WELL DOES T3H P IN UR NAME STAND FER "PRETTY BIG IDIOT" LOLOLOLOLOL!!! OMG I AM TEH PWNS + A BILLION TO MEEE !!LOL

(expected response)

Anyways, I would suggest you practice modding on an old guitar like that, but putting a floyd rose on it would sort of be a waste... It's like putting $5000 of rims and tires on your Hyundai. Doesn't make sense.

Although, if you really want to do it, you should. And you will have a nice floyd if you ever want to put it on something else.

Just post lots of pics !
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
step 1: don't
step 2: do not
step 3: repeat step 1 and 2
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Well, thats not entirely fair. I say of he really wants to he should.

Plus it will be a good learning experience.

He will learn not to waste money !
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
He has to learn/ practice on something...
I say you could do it and if you stuff it up it doesn't matter, people are saying "just go get a pre routed body"
He does not want another body, the one he has now is fine for practicing and after heaps of practice modding on it, it could become an awesome guitar.

All you really need is templates and a router, its not actually that hard to do.
Here we go,
Step 1. Make your templates using plywood, mdf or anything thin and stable.
Heres the pictures off the floyd rose site... Use these measurements to draw the shapes on the the plywood or whatever.

Step 2. Clamp the plywood/ MDF to a horse or a workbench/ table, cut the shapes out with a router and use some files to level out the eges and to get right into the corne (depending on your router bit)

Step 3. Measure out where everything goes on the body, finding the correct placing for the bridge etc.

Step 4. With the same setup from step 2 clamp the guitar body to a workbench/ table or two horse (one may work) then using double sided sticky tape or small clamps which wont get in the way of the router clamp the templates you made to the body.

Step 5. Using a ball bearing router bit. Slowly go around the edge of the template going slightly deeper each time, then route out the rest.

Thats what your aiming for on the top^^

(sorry about the size)
Also if you want to skip steps 1 & 2 you could buy the templates for $18.75 US from http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Routing/Tremolo_Routing_Templates.html
Good luck man!
does it have an angled neck?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
crap guitars are better to practice modding on than pricer and nicer ones. you gotta start somewhere and a guitar thats essentially worthless is a perfect test bed for modding. plus it'll build confidence and ensure you know what you are doing when you decide to take a router to a real gibson to put a floyd rose on it and cut down the chances you end up ruining a perfectly good guitar.
^But is it wise to attempt something on a crap guitar when he can buy a new guitar with a decent FR for the same amount of money?

He's looking to spend 200 bucks on an OFR or a good LFR, then if he doesn't have the tools, he can expect to pay 300 bucks for someone else to do it, or buy the right tools for about the same amount of money or more. Then he'll likely have to refinish it, since the routing will undoubtedly scuff the guitar. Looking at abother 200-300 dollars for someone to refinish it, maybe around 100-ish if he does it himself, but he'll be clocking in A LOT of hours.

700+ bucks for this piece of crap? No thanks. I'll grab a Schecter with a good OFR.

Besides why the hell would you take a Gibson and rout it for an FR, when there are TONS of good guitars with OFRs for much less than a Gibson.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^But is it wise to attempt something on a crap guitar when he can buy a new guitar with a decent FR for the same amount of money?

He's looking to spend 200 bucks on an OFR or a good LFR, then if he doesn't have the tools, he can expect to pay 300 bucks for someone else to do it, or buy the right tools for about the same amount of money or more. Then he'll likely have to refinish it, since the routing will undoubtedly scuff the guitar. Looking at abother 200-300 dollars for someone to refinish it, maybe around 100-ish if he does it himself, but he'll be clocking in A LOT of hours.

700+ bucks for this piece of crap? No thanks. I'll grab a Schecter with a good OFR.

Besides why the hell would you take a Gibson and rout it for an FR, when there are TONS of good guitars with OFRs for much less than a Gibson.

i'm just saying that experimenting on a crap guitar is much more useful than smashing it to bits. sure he could just go out and buy whatever he wants instead of investing money and time into modding a crap guitar but if he's in this forum my guess is he'd rathey DIY it instead and thats where the crap guitar suddenly becomes useful.

nothing is stopping him from getting some other guitar with an OFR on it, but maybe he wants a gibson with an OFR on it. and if thats the case wouldnt you feel more comfortable trying it out and making your cuts on a crap guitar first instead of a making your first attempt at doing so on a brand new gibson? it's that sort of measure twice cut once thinking.