My Playlist: http://riffhard.muxtape.com/

I decided to go all out and upload as many songs as I could. There are only 3 songs by Classic Rock artists, the rest are modern. I wanted to do a modern heavy list because I'm sick of hearing so many people talk about how nothing new is worth listening to.

Worried About You - This is one of my favorite songs of the moment. I like it because it keeps on building up throughout the song and it has such a great funky disco-y feel to it. Mick's voice is smooth as butter and Keith does some great harmonizing.

All You do is Talk - I like this song because it has a great melody and a very spaced out atmosphere. It reminds me a lot of Pink Floyd and other prog-rock bands even though it's very simple.

Devil's Daughter - This is just a sweet balls to the wall rock song by Silvertide. They only made 1 album and sorta disappeared after that. It's a shame because they were a great live and studio band.

Dirty Blvd - I gotta include the godfather of Punk in my list I like the lyrics in this song. Very underrated songwriter, he should be on top with Dylan, Cash, and Davies, imho.

Baby's Knocking me down - This is a garage-band out of Detroit. They're very Beatlesque with sort of a Stonesy swagger. I love the organ solo in this tune.

Give it Time - I like his mix of soul, blues, and funk. Very chill music.

How the Story goes - another modern British Invasion type band. Their sound is all over the place. They do anything from country to blues.

Stay with me[/B - Very catchy tune, love the fuzzy tone and Rod's voice.

Carolina Drama - I love songs that tell a story, and this is a very suspenseful story. Great songwriting skills in this.

All Hands against his own - Another bluesy garage band outta Detroit. They're very groovy and write great riffs. Very Hendrix-like

Walk On - A modern southern rock band similar to skynyrd and the Crowes. Has some cool guitar in it.

Mad World - My favorite song of all time. Whenever I listen to this song I have to stop everything I'm doing and just reflect on my life. It has great lyrics and the melody and piano are very hypnotizing. This is a cover. The original was done by Tears for Fears, but that version doesn't have the same effect on me.

Please enjoy!

-------------------------------

Previous Weeks:
BrainDamage 2008-06-25
DownInAHole. 2008-07-02
metalfan#3 2008-07-09
DayTripper1967 2008-07-16
psychodelia 2008-07-23

Up Next:
1. Andrewbiles 2008-08-06
2. gtrplyr54 2008-08-13
3. Iron_Dude 2008-08-20
4. ohhey9040 2008-08-27
5. Maet 2008-09-03
6. S.A.Dange 2008-09-10
Looks like a good list. Carolina Drama and Mad World are the only ones I recognized. I'll have to give the rest a listen.

"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
***Edited and stuck as usual***

Looks good, there are some songs on there I'm looking forward to hearing.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Just listened too it. Great mix!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Listened to this earlier today, I liked it a lot.

I was expecting the BRMC to be a little more...heavy given their name, but they still sounded good. The Silvertide song was great, and the Sights reminded me of The Beatles. I don't listen to much Lou Reed, maybe I'll check out some more of his stuff. Eric Lindell is now on my "bands to check out" list, and Stay With Me just reinforces my need for something by the Faces. The Redwalls song was my least favorite of the group. The Raconteurs and Black Keys are great, and I have an album by American Minor that I'm going to have to go back and listen to again. My band (well, our keyboard player and vocalist) did Mad World at out first show, good song.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Great selection, had forgotten how good 'Mad World' actually was. Kind of got caught up in the elitest attitude of hating 'Donnie Darko' when it gained a bit of popularity, but that makes me want to go back and re-opinion myself once again.
Really enjoyed the inclusion of 'Dirty Boulevard' as well, hadn't heard that before. The guitars reminded me of some kind of Springsteen track but Lou Reed knows how to do something different. Good track. You can hear that track really influencing The Hold Steady - with the exception of the actual singing at the end.

Just noticed it's my turn now! Will have to get crackin'. Got a good idea already of what will appear. I'll try and through in some old oddities if I can.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic