Ive been playing since beginning of april and have gotten pretty good I feel. I used to mostly play the drums so i was always tapping to the beat of a song in the car with my right hand. My dexterity got extremely good with my right hand so I decided to do this with my left as much as i could and I got pretty good, which has helped on guitar. Any of you guys use any techniques either on or off the guitar that help build dexterity for a beginner? I practice walking my fingers up and down the fret board which has helped. Any other ideas?
yeah, dont put your thumb too high on the neck while playing, keep in near the middle, this will allow more movability in your hand
Just the usual things. Chromatic scales, then chromatic scales using hammer on and pull offs all the time using a metrenome
oh, try learning a song, then put on some headphones, play along and after a while youll get really good at playing along with it, that really helped me.
Trilling exercises between all the different pairs of fingers on your hand.

/thread.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by peacemoles
yeah, dont put your thumb too high on the neck while playing, keep in near the middle, this will allow more movability in your hand

Yea ive noticed when im stretched out across a couple frets high on the neck, i put my thumb behind the neck and push to keep pressure on my fingers. So my thumb is parallel with the neck but it starts to hurt like hell from pushing.
Quote by idburninhell
Masturbate with your left hand, It's fun AND it builds dexterity.

that just builds skill in your wrist action.
Quote by peacemoles
oh, try learning a song, then put on some headphones, play along and after a while youll get really good at playing along with it, that really helped me.

I find this to be rather enjoyable as well. I do an excercise called the chord crab, you shift positions while alternating different fingers in kind of a pattern. It's supposed to improve like independent movement of each finger.
Quote by guitarlover57
So what is this "pear", iv heard so much about? people on here keep talking about it and i have no idea what theyre saying,help me with this please!!