So I'm thinking about upgrading my Fender 15G (bout time, right?). And my price range is about $200 or so. So i looked in the sticky, and it said this:

Vox Valvetronix AD15VT (2/3 channel) (Euro, C): good range of tones (and just about sneaking into this price range)- can get into metal territory too, but is supposed to excel at rock tones.

Now, what does the 2/3 channel mean? What is a channel?

And is this a good amp? I play mostly rock, I have a Strat, and I've been playing for about 8 months...if any of those matter at all!
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.

An example of a channel would be clean and distortion.
2/3 channel. I'm not quite sure why it says 2/3 but it on the AD#VT series you can program two different channels into the amp. (like a clean and a distorted one)

And is this a good amp? I play mostly rock, I have a Strat, and I've been playing for about 8 months...if any of those matter at all!

I have the AD30 and it's great for rock. I recommend you get one.
Keeping it real since '92
high fives for actually reading the amp buyers sticky
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
But I have the 15G and it says that it has one channel, yet my amp can be either clean or distorted...

So this is a good amp? I wouldn't be wasting my money?
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Quote by Stolen Identity
But I have the 15G and it says that it has one channel, yet my amp can be either clean or distorted...

So this is a good amp? I wouldn't be wasting my money?

Valvetronix has good cleaner and classic rock end. Are you going to be playing a lot of metal?
No, not really, more rock, maybe some hard rock, but I don't get too far into metal. Metallica is as far as I go.
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
the 2/3 channel refers to the fact that not only can you instantly recall two saved channels but also instantly recall one of the factory presets by pressing the preset button.

The valvetronix are amongst the sweetest sounding solid state amps. the preamp tube is more noticeable in this amp than any other hybrid amp i have used. However, playing a lot of metal i find the amp sounds a bit too sweet, even on the metal settings. its still not bad but it just doesn't have the tight aggressive punch i sometimes wanted. i got great results out of the amp with an overdrive pedal in front of it set with a tiny amount of od.

I currently own a cube 30x and wish is sounded as sweet as the vox for styles other than metal, but for metal the cube wins. i still us an od pedal though to tighten things up. i have owned two of the valvetronix series and 4 different cubes aswell as just about every other popular practice amp.

Overall the valvetronix beat the cubes i would say, in every department except heavy metal settings and construction.
Valvetronix is nice at that price range, but why not save up? For 300-400$ you can get Crate V18 112 or 212, or for a little more an even nicer tube amp. However if you're going with what you have now the Valvetronix seems to fit your playing styles..
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
You've read the stickies and made a good, informed decision in your price range. Kudos to you, sir.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
The valvetronix is a hybrid, right? It has tubes and ss? Do the tubes require much maintenance?
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
It has one preamp tube, which makes very little difference to anything at all. You might need to change that one tube in maybe like 5 years? But it really costs like 10 bucks and you can do it yourself.

I think valvetronix is a good buy, but for rock i would also recommend a valve junior or something similar with an overdrive pedal (like digitech bad monkey). That's what i use for all my rock needs, and i don't plan to upgrade until i really need in a professional musical situation.

Actually, the 2/3 refers to the footswitch operation.

The left button on the FS-2 switches between the two saved channels. The right button can either control the effect bypass or switch to manual mode.

EDIT: I've got some soundclips up of the nu metal mode, if you're interested.
umm, if you look in the manual, doesnt it day that the tube is in the power stage, and that the preamp stage is all digital, then power stage being class A or AB depending on what amp model you select?
Quote by Stolen Identity
So I'm thinking about upgrading my Fender 15G (bout time, right?). And my price range is about $200 or so. So i looked in the sticky, and it said this:

on the valvetronix the channels are for storing settings - you can store amp settings to the 2 "channels", and theres preset/manual mode. preset will set the amp to the recommended setting for each model as you change the model, and manual uses the physical settings on the amp. I'm not too good at describing things, however.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Karrde
umm, if you look in the manual, doesnt it day that the tube is in the power stage, and that the preamp stage is all digital, then power stage being class A or AB depending on what amp model you select?

the preamp tube is after the preamp, and used a little in the power section. the power section is solid state though, the tube just gives it a little different feel. i think it works a little, it sounds fine to me usually. just waaaay too compressed.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008