Page 1 of 2
Alright guys.. I've narrowed my choices down to these two amps now.

There is no way I could try either of these amps before buying!

I play mostly classic rock, blues, metal, and a bit of modern rock.

My budget is about $700 but I want to spend the least amount possible.

Out of those two amps, which do you think is better?

Are there any better amps out there in my price range?
I don't know about you, but I like those styles of music, and if by chance there's a Traynor YCV50 Blue at L&M today, I"m grabbing it. I've heard better things about it than I have the B52.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I don't know about you, but I like those styles of music, and if by chance there's a Traynor YCV50 Blue at L&M today, I"m grabbing it. I've heard better things about it than I have the B52.

Yeah. That's the one I was really leaning towards.

Has anyone tried it?
The Traynor is a very nice amp for everything you play up until the really heavy stuff. An OD pedal would probably take care of that, though.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Well, what sold me is the fact it's 50w, has a 2-year even if you break it warranty, looks nice, has a master volume so you can play quietly with good tone if you need to, and the fact it can hook up to this speaker I just purchased.
It depends on what kind of metal you play, and how much you play it. If the metal isn't any heavier than say, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, or Early Metallica, and it's not really your main genre of music you play, you'd be fine with the Traynor, without a pedal. The Traynor excels at all the other genres you mentioned.

If you play more metal than anything else, I've go for a Randall RG50TC or a Mesa F-50 or something.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It depends on what kind of metal you play, and how much you play it. If the metal isn't any heavier than say, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, or Early Metallica, and it's not really your main genre of music you play, you'd be fine with the Traynor, without a pedal. The Traynor excels at all the other genres you mentioned.

If you play more metal than anything else, I've go for a Randall RG50TC or a Mesa F-50 or something.

I agree with this. If you're a rock guy get the Traynor, if you're a metal guy get something else like the Mesa or Randall.

I have a Ycs50 and it does rock and metal fairly well (IMO) and have no need for another amp although I have been thinking about what kinda cool tones I could come up with if I put an EQ in front (Perhpas an EQ would turn the YCV50 blue into a metal amp? I dunno.).
Well I've heard that the B-52 AT-100 combo is very versatile. Does the Traynor have this same versatility?

I am willing to get an overdrive pedal if I need to.

And yes, I am mainly a rock guy.
What about.... say, an Orange TT? I would love one of those babies, although I doubt it is giggable...
It's 449 new on ebay actually. It looks pretty cool to me. But I don't know if I could afford a nice cab to go along with it.

A 10 band EQ would do wonders for it I'm sure.
Last edited by Explorer125 at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by Explorer125
What about.... say, an Orange TT? I would love one of those babies, although I doubt it is giggable...

There is a video on youtube of Rob Chappers demo-ing a TT (along with a Rockerverb and Thunderverb) with a drummer. Its loud enough to keep up at half power, you'd definitely need a 4x12 though.
Quote by al112987
There is a video on youtube of Rob Chappers demo-ing a TT (along with a Rockerverb and Thunderverb) with a drummer. Its loud enough to keep up at half power, you'd definitely need a 4x12 though.

Cabs don't affect volume.
Quote by GeorgeWFletcher
Cabs don't affect volume.

An open backed cab will sound louder in a small room.
A closed back cab will sound louder standing directly in front of it.
The efficiency of the speakers effects volume.
Each doubling of the speakers raises the volume by 3dB.

Cabs affect volume a lot.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^This man speaks the truth. You should take notes.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Well, I think the Tiny Terror would suit me best, but I know I wouldn't be able to afford that and a 4x12 cab, not from Orange anyway. Are there any good budget 4x12's I should look at?

If I can't find anything good to match the TT head, then I will probably go for the Traynor.
^If you like the TT best (and you've tried it), get a 1x12 or a 2x12 for it. You don't need a 4x12.

Make sure it covers all your genres, first, though.

EDIT: And go with avatar cabs, on a budget.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^If you like the TT best (and you've tried it), get a 1x12 or a 2x12 for it. You don't need a 4x12.

Make sure it covers all your genres, first, though.

Well, I've seen it do metal, and that's the only thing I was worried about. RobChappers on YouTube has a demo of it with an overdrive pedal of some kind, and it plays metal well.

I have no Orange dealers near me, so I doubt I could try it.
Actually, there is one 8 miles away, but I don't know if they even have them. I used to go there all the time, and they never had an Orange... I sent them an email about it.

Anyway, How much is an Avatar 212 cab?
Well, I was worried about your blues, classic rock, etc. Unless you play mostly metal and aren't really worried about everything else. And go to avatar's website for their prices. You can also find their empty cabs on ebay and put in a speaker of your choice.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Well, I was worried about your blues, classic rock, etc. Unless you play mostly metal and aren't really worried about everything else. And go to avatar's website for their prices. You can also find their empty cabs on ebay and put in a speaker of your choice.

I was under the impression that Orange amps were MADE for blues, and classic rock....

Maybe I was wrong?

How do you guys feel about the Avatar G212H? I was looking at the orange one with the Celestion V30 and G12H30, and open back.

I think I would be happy with that rig!
^I have no idea about that amp, honestly. It's just worth trying to make sure it covers the spectrum from clean to all out gain at a suitable volume.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^I have no idea about that amp, honestly. It's just worth trying to make sure it covers the spectrum from clean to all out gain at a suitable volume.

Well, I researched a bit about Orange dealers in my area, and I sent one of them an email to figure out what they had in stock. I'll try one if I can. I probably won't be getting it for a while anyway.

I'll be sure to post pictures once I get it!!!
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I just bought the YCV50 Blue no more than an hour ago. It rocks. Completely.

Have you cranked that mofo yet?

How loud IS it?
^A 50 watt tube amps is LOUD. Way more volume than any normal human being will ever need, outside of very large gigs.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^A 50 watt tube amps is LOUD. Way more volume than any normal human being will ever need, outside of very large gigs.

I figured that....

I need an opinion from someone who has gigged with a smaller tube amp!

I am really worried that the TT won't be able to pull off gigs with a 212 cab, not to mention I couldn't even DREAM of gigging with a clean sound. I can't find any true headroom tests for it.
^You mean you couldn't dream of gigging without a clean sound? I think the tiny terror may not be the right amp for you, then.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^You mean you couldn't dream of gigging without a clean sound? I think the tiny terror may not be the right amp for you, then.

No, I mean I don't think there would be any way to gig with a clean sound, because of tube breakup.

I might not even need it, but it still would be nice to be able to do it.
Oh, I understand. Well, since you play blues, classic rock, etc, I was assuming you'd need some sort of clean sounds.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Oh, I understand. Well, since you play blues, classic rock, etc, I was assuming you'd need some sort of clean sounds.

Well, like I said, I am mostly a Rock player. I don't do clean blues that often, unless it's little wing...

I wish someone here had a TT.
By the way, I found out that the TT doesn't have an Effects Loop.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Can I still run a Wah, an EQ pedal, or an Overdrive through it?

Sorry for the double post by the way.
Page 1 of 2