Whenever my band plays a song like Cowboys from Hell, our guitars sound muddy. When both guitars both play a certain part of a song at the same time, like the chorus in Cowboys from Hell, the melody is unclear. Why does this happen?

Some possibilities I thought of:

1. We have different tones? I have a Peavey XXX and he has a Marshall DSL50.

2. Lack of a bass player? We don't have a bass player, but we are looking for one.

3. Room acoustics? We play in a basement that naturally has just a bit of reverb.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Coming Soon)
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish and Chips

Guitar Rig 3
hows your eq set up?
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Maybe you or the other guitarist has to ajust the eq settings.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
If you play exactly the same thing note for note, sure it'll sound muddy, unless you get yourself the same rig. Try stuff like Maiden's guitar harmony, where you play the same thing with one of the guitarists playing an octave higher than the other, could be interesting or at the very least less muddy, have the one with the more bassy tone do the octave higher stuff, the other will still cut through the mix with a trebly punch.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
OK here are the EQ settings:

My friend's Marshall DSL50:

Bass: 10
Mid: 0
Treble: 10
Presence: 9

My Peavey XXX (Active EQ + Dano Fish N' Chips):

Bass: 4
Mid: 5
Treble: 7

Dano Settings (hz):

100: +10
200: +6
400: -10
800: -15
1.6k: -7
3.2k: -4
6.4k: +7
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by neon10th at Jul 30, 2008,
Going to have to establish a "high" guitar and a "low guitar"... His scooped mids on the Marshall is going to mud everything out, especially if you're in a basement. If that doesn't help let me know. I've been playing in a praise band for 2 years now in a room that doesn't have that great of acoustics, we encountered the same problem so it could be a number of things.
Quote by neon10th

Dano Settings (hz):

There's your problem.
Keeping it real since '92
So how can I fix it? I know it should have something to do with my friend's DSL50, because I know it's bad to set the EQ settings Bass: 10, Mid: 0, Treble: 10.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
It's not neccessarily bad, Marshall's invented scooped mids pretty much, it's what scooped mids sound the best on. But he's going to have to change up his eq or you'll always sound muddy together. Depends on who's playing lead of rythym. But I suggest the lead play with a higher eq so he can be heard over a lower toned rythym... If you alternate leads you'll have to play with it for a while.
Gear:
ESP: LTD EC-256
Ibanez Roadstar II
Indiana(Acoustic, idk the model)
Boss Distortion DS:1
Boss Delay
Ibanez Chorus

Coming soon?
Traynor YCV40
Well I have the advantage when it comes to leads, because in my amp, the mids are turned up, and on the EQ, the mids are cut out, so when it's time for me to play a solo, I simply turn off te EQ and I can cut through the mix so well. Also, how should my friend change his EQ?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by I.Crossfire.I
It's not neccessarily bad, Marshall's invented scooped mids pretty much, it's what scooped mids sound the best on. But he's going to have to change up his eq or you'll always sound muddy together. Depends on who's playing lead of rythym. But I suggest the lead play with a higher eq so he can be heard over a lower toned rythym... If you alternate leads you'll have to play with it for a while.

its bad when you turn the mid control down. you can only get a decent scooped mid tone if your amp either has a low Q on the mid control or if it has a control specifically for scooped mids - because normally the actual mid control filters the entire midrange, and you never want the entire midrange scooped. a countour know usually allows you to scoop a select band of mids so that you still have the scooped tone but you also have enough midrange frequencies to cut through the mix without sounding muddy.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by neon10th
Well I have the advantage when it comes to leads, because in my amp, the mids are turned up, and on the EQ, the mids are cut out, so when it's time for me to play a solo, I simply turn off te EQ and I can cut through the mix so well. Also, how should my friend change his EQ?

tell him to try this setting

Treble - 7
Mids -8
Bass - 7

it works well for me switching between ryhthm and lead playing.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Lead should be more determined by skill in which the person can play... Not really the sound. Figure out which one of you enjoys it more/is better at it(I play rhthym in the praise band because I enjoy playing harmonically to the lead/using effects and whatnot). Then have the Lead keep the higher tone setting the whole time... Is your basement carpeted at all or just concrete everywhere?
Gear:
ESP: LTD EC-256
Ibanez Roadstar II
Indiana(Acoustic, idk the model)
Boss Distortion DS:1
Boss Delay
Ibanez Chorus

Coming soon?
Traynor YCV40
Quote by neon10th

Give your friend a huge slap in the head; that EQ is terrible. Yours isn't much better to be honest but 0 mids?

Change both of the EQs completely; mids = tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
OK thanks for the honest feedback. How do you guys think I can improve my tone EQ-wise? It took me awhile to fool around with the Dano EQ. The settings I have make the amp sound so much darker, and it's clear, too. Someone told me the boost the midrange up high, then cut some of it out and shape the mids to my liking, and so far, my settings sound nice.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
tell your friend to match your EQ, yours is far better.
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you scooping your mids on the EQ pedal?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
That is terrible EQing on the Marshall.
Try: Bass-8
Mids-4
Treb-8,9

Something like that. idk about presence though. How ever that should go, he can figure that out.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you scooping your mids on the EQ pedal?

Yeah, he is. Then he said he turns of the EQ for solos to get his mids back (4 isnt a whole lot, but still ) But yeah, tell your friend to turn his bass and treble down a bit, and add some more mids. I can't imagine 10 0 10 sounding very good at all...
If you're using the Ultra channel, I suggest you turn the mids a bit more.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by neon10th

Dano Settings (hz):

lol, i've never even played in a band or had any experience playing with a group of people and i know the problem. add more mids.