Has anyone heard of these , had experience with them, knows someone who has had experience with them, or even knows someone who might possibly know someone else who has had experience with them????? I'm thinking about getting a humbucker or two from this series. They only cost $117 which looks like a freaking bargain to me.

Thanks
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
They're hand-wound, I've heard nothing but good about them, and they are not wax-potted which seems good considering they're "Antiquities." Are you looking for the honk of vintage pick-ups? And from the looks of it, you have a Spider. Not trying to diss your amp, but you should save that money for a tube amp.
actually, theyre machine wound on the machines that gibson used. seymour duncan says he never hand winds a humbucker in a video i saw. he said you can't wind a humbucker by hand which is bulls**t. I hand wound 8 of them and they work great. Lindy Fralin hand winds, CorduroyEW hand winds (sorry cord, dont know your real name)... hundreds of botique makers hand wind but SD uses automated machines, despite their age. Sounds to me like he's trying not to trip on his d*ck for not hand winding anything to fatten his bottom line
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
yea, tube amp + dorm room = unhappy roommate.

anyway, i'm really looking for a pickup with the cleanest cleans that you can get, and it seemed logical to go vintage. i won't really be needing anything high resistance, i've got my strat for that. Um...i can't really think of how to describe the tone i'm going for...think maybe White Summer/Black Mountainside by zeppelin. my playing style is rather...odd? does that help?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
actually, theyre machine wound on the machines that gibson used. seymour duncan says he never hand winds a humbucker in a video i saw. he said you can't wind a humbucker by hand which is bulls**t. I hand wound 8 of them and they work great. Lindy Fralin hand winds, CorduroyEW hand winds (sorry cord, dont know your real name)... hundreds of botique makers hand wind but SD uses automated machines, despite their age. Sounds to me like he's trying not to trip on his d*ck for not hand winding anything to fatten his bottom line

no, these are hand-wound. if they aren't then they are lying and should be sued because it says all over their site and all over their ads that the antiquity line is hand-wound. thanks for your help btw.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
hmmm... now i have to find that video...

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Yea, on that link I posted the guy says, "I hand wind each single coil pickup using a "scatter wind" process that captures the original winding patterns in a way no machine can duplicate."
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wow, missed that you're using a Spider. I don't recommend a pickup swap at all.

Why don't you grab that new amp coming out from Blackheart, the Little Ant? It's like 1/2 a watt, or something. Quiet enough to crank without pissing your room mate off.

would that make any sense though? i mean, would it be too quiet? and wouldn't be a good a good deal of money for something that i would replace eventually anyway? or would it actually make sense for a long term sorta thing?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
^ that's for a single coil not a humbucker. Seymour says never hand wind a humbucker. I'm gonna dig up that video if it kills me now...

are you looking at the singles or the humby's?

The Little Ant would be a GREAT practice amp. Aweshum tube tone at a low volume. I don't see how it'd be a waste. As long as you aren't expecting metal out of it, I say it's a great investment. And you could always invest in pick-ups later on.
Quote by bored_maniac33
would that make any sense though? i mean, would it be too quiet? and wouldn't be a good a good deal of money for something that i would replace eventually anyway? or would it actually make sense for a long term sorta thing?

Well, the 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt, I forget how much it is, should be half the volume of a 5 watt tube amp. Not going to be that quiet. Probably at conversational level of volume.

If you don't like your Spider's tones right now, new pickups are not going to make a noticeable difference.
You will hear a difference with the Little Ant, though. You'll need a cab, though. Just get a Lopoline 1x12".
http://www.premierguitar.com/magazine/Issue/2008/Aug/The_Pickup_King_A_Video_Interview_with_Seymour_Duncan.aspx

watch the second video. it's automatic but there's a lady there watching and assembling at the same time.

Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Jul 30, 2008,
ah, ok. it'd be the humby btw.

yea... see, i'll only have like $150 to spend, which is just enough for me to get a neck pickup, have it installed, and have a little left over for strings and stuff. i'm just going to have to wait and think about it.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
^ do you have a soldering iron? swapping from one pickup to another is easy... old wire out, new wire in... dont keep the iron there too long and dont burn your skin...

check it out i'm like dr seuss