Ok, I posted this is guitar basics but didn't really get a clear answer, so here it goes.

I'm trying to play this riff from Master of Puppets..

|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3------5\4---5\4---5\4---|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-0--3\2-0-3\2-0-3\2---|

Anyway, its an easy riff, and I have no problem playing it, but I'm concerned I'm not using good techique for getting riff of unessecary noise. I use my picking hand to mute the E string when I play the A string notes, but when I release the A string notes to play the E string notes, I can't get a good techique for silencing the a string notes from ringing out.

If I'm supposed to use my picking hand to mute the A string, I can't seem to do it, if its just a matter of making sure I release those A string notes when a way that makes less noise, I can practice that slowly and work it up, but I need to know that is the problem. I'm not pulling off on accident or anything.

The thing is, I'm not even sure I'm doing anything wrong, it doesn't sound bad, its just with high gain you hear that hum and what not when playing that riff, in addition to hearing the notes, but the notes are louder of course....

I don't know if I'm explaining this well, hopefully someone understands me.
palm mute the E string the whole time and after playing the A release pressure off your finger. thats how i play it.
....................................................................................................................................................................................
Hm Ok, well it doesn't matter if its accurate tab or not, this would apply in any situation when playing those low strings with distortion. I just want to get a handle on proper techique here.
Quote by hXc metal dude
palm mute the E string the whole time and after playing the A release pressure off your finger. thats how i play it.

Yeah, I do that as well, but it doesn't stop the vibration of the a string. It seems like a minor thing because its not that noisey, but I'm a perfectionist and I have to know if I'm not doing something correctly.

Also, I do palm mute the E string when I play the A string notes. Not sure how I'd mute the A string with a fretting hand finger though.
Basically, I'm trying to dampen the A string with my right hand after playing it so they don't ring out and make access noise when I'm playing the E string notes.

However, quickly dampening the A string and then going back to the E string is really difficult for me. I can do it, but its awkward and sometimes I accidently mute the A string before, making the notes palm muted instead of just dampening it after I played them open.

Not sure if I'm having such a problem with this because of my hand position or not
Bump for the afternoon crowd. More advice or input would be appreciated. I can manage to lift the fingers of my fretting hand just enough to dampen the string without making noise, but I don't know if thats an acceptable way to go about it or not.
Not really sure... Im guessing you can palm mute both the E and A string at the same time, when your doing normal palm muted power chords?

This is what i do. I mute down both strings when playing the E:0-1. Then i lift my palm up to do an open A:2, and bring it down again on both strings to do the next E:0-1. Hope that makes sense.
Quote by ShredNChunk
Not really sure... Im guessing you can palm mute both the E and A string at the same time, when your doing normal palm muted power chords?

This is what i do. I mute down both strings when playing the E:0-1. Then i lift my palm up to do an open A:2, and bring it down again on both strings to do the next E:0-1. Hope that makes sense.

Yeah that makes sense, but to my knowledge the E string isnt supposed to be palm muted? Making dampening the A string hard to do with the right hand, for me.

I notice that if I'm very careful when lifting off my fingers on the A string notes they won't ring out, but a lot of people have said to use the right hand to dampen it. I'm pretty confused. Oh well.