Hope some of you guys could offer some assistance...I've recently decided on taking up electric guitar again. I've been playing acoustic for about 20 years (starting when I was 9). In high school I went through a 3 year phase of playing mostly electric (an Ibanez RG-570 I think), which I eventually lost interest in.

Anyway, fast forward today and I want a Strat. I am torn between a 2008 American Standard and the American Deluxe. I am leaning more towards the standard at the moment. I'd like to spend no more than $1400...less is more.

My dilemma is as follows: I do not want s-1 switching on the deluxe, but I like every other "upgrade" that I see on it. Does anyone know if there is a version of the strat with deluxe features, but no s-1 switching? I could even do without the noiseless pickups if needed.

(And since it will probably be asked, I am getting a vintage 1972 (or so) Fender Twin Re verb from my Dad....I hear these are nice amps, right?)
Id look for an older american deluxe, from 2005 and before. Sometime in that era they changed to the s-1 switching. If you can find one of the older deluxe's youd be set.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
just get the deluxe, i rarely use the s-1 on it. its basicallyh like the 5 way selector in button form

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

have you tried any G&Ls? some of them might have features similar to the american deluxe.

other than that, either find an older one, or else just get the deluxe and ignore the s1?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well the main reason I am against s-1 switching is the more complex electronics (other than the fact that I do not need it). I have also read quite a few posts that the system might be prone to failure. I want something tough.

Have not tried G&Ls, but if the quality was as good or better than an American strat, I'd consider them.
oh yeah, the american-made g&ls are easily the equal, if not much better, than american strats.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by anitract
Well the main reason I am against s-1 switching is the more complex electronics (other than the fact that I do not need it). I have also read quite a few posts that the system might be prone to failure. I want something tough.

I've certainly had no problem with mine. And as others have posted it's not as if you're forced to use it. You might try it and like it anyway.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
I would get the American Strat, there's no point wasting money on the things you don't want to use. It would probably cost less to customise it to make it look like the Deluxe as well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
What do you guys think about neck sizes? I think I generally prefer necks that are thinner and not super-wide. Does any model stick out in terms of being super comfortable to play?
neck size is very much personal preference, to be honest...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?