i am about to setup the neck but i have a question
should i loose the strings before i do it? or adjust with strings tuned
last time i did with strings tuned i stripped the trus rod nut so it was because of the strings being tuned?
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
can anyone explain how is than adjusting while tuned striped my old truss rod nut(now with a new truss rod nut)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
can anyone explain how is than adjusting while tuned striped my old truss rod nut(now with a new truss rod nut)

In english please?

I think you've missed a word out or summit and I cant put my finger on it.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by anarkee
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=914160

Jon, here's the other thread litus had on his original problem. It explains it all in there.

Cheers babe.

And to the threadstarter, to avoid repeating what happened last time -

Detune the strings a little.
Use the correct sized Allen/Hex Key.
Make sure it is secured into the nut properly.
Turn firmly but if you encounter any resistance, do not force it.
Turn only a quarter at a time.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
i've worked with and for a guitar luthier. Everytime there needs to be a setup on the neck, He'll take the strings off (he throws new strings on it anyways), straightens the neck by turning the truss rod a quarter of a turn each time and checking it with a straight-edge (remember to flex the neck a bit after the adjustment, or it wont do anything), throws strings on it, tunes it up, and then adjusts the truss rod from there, keeping it in whatever tuning you play in.

So in your case, keep it in concert pitch the whole time.

To check and make sure your truss rod is adjusted correctly (not straight though)

1. Fret the first fret, and take your other hand, put your thumb at the body joint, and another finger as far as you can get it towards the body, and take another finger and press down on a fret towards the middle of the fretboard. Make sure there's a small gap.

2. Repeat, but for the highest string

3. Set the action

4. Set the radius
Last edited by xero1123 at Jul 30, 2008,
thanks for all the help guys, but do you think i could strip the truss rod nut again? is just i am really scared of that kind of things since my las accident

also i adjuste the truss rod nut around 1/4 of turn and the neck is almost set to my preference, however while i was adjusting i keep hearing cracking noises, well not cracking but like the kind of sounds you get wrom wood streching in the nigth in a house made of wood, so the sounds i hear where from the wood streching or something is not right?

BTW the adjustment was made during night
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
keep adjusting about 1/8 today, i still fell scared and i still can hear the noises of the wood streching and that freaks me out but hey i not going to give up
the bass is almost but almost perfect, i am going to adjust it to perfection when i change strings in a couple of months
thanks for the help guys!
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
noises in the wood are normal. if you're still a little scared about it, you're doing fine. Just remember to flex the wood on the neck.
what is flex? sorry but i need an english class
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Last edited by litus at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by litus
what is flex? sorry but i need an english class

–verb (used with object)
1. to bend, as a part of the body: He flexed his arms to show off his muscles .

There you go. Not everyone here knows english is your second language.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.