My Peavey XXX has this huge problem with the reverb. When the amp is still, and the reverb is up, everything is fine. But, the slightest movement with the amp causes a nasty metal clanging sound that reverbs when the reverb is turned up. When the reverb is down, nothing happens. This is the only real amp I got, and I love this thing so much, so can someone PLEASE tell if there is anything I could do to fix this problem. I really want to fix this so bad! This problem is ruining my day, and it is making me not want to play the guitar until the problem is fixed.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Coming Soon)
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish and Chips

Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by neon10th at Jul 30, 2008,
Pretty sure it's that it's spring reverb, and the spring is shaking around giving it that 'echo-y' sound. There should be a cover over the spring, you can try taking it off and making sure it's hooked up properly.
How do I access the reverb unit in my amp? I cannot even see it. It's hidden. Will opening the amp void my warranty?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
if you dont like, it get a holy grail reverb pedal or any other brand
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Quote by higherworlds
if you dont like, it get a holy grail reverb pedal or any other brand

That is not necessary, this problem only started to occur after I was being driven home, and the amp shook after a speed bump. The reverb was just fine before that.

I recently found out my reverb unit is an accutronics spring reverb, but I still don't know how to check the reverb unit because I cannot see it.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Well, I don't have a good camera with me, but what I see in the amp are the preamp tubes, power tubes, output transformer, digital effects unit, and the speaker. There is an area above these that is blocked off. I am guessing the reverb unit is in there. I just need to find a way to open it, but I am too afraid I might screw something up.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Opening the amp will likely void the warranty - especially if there is some paper/plastic seal somewhere (and there usually is). So you may want to email or call them first.

I used to build amplifiers when I was much younger...

The spring reverb units can be damaged if they are hit hard - especially if the whole unit is not itself suspended on springs tied to the cabinet. In some cases, the springs would just fall off and all you had to do was get them back like they should be.

In other cases the springs INSIDE the reverb unit itself broke or became disconnected mechanically. That can easily happen if the amplifier was laid on its side and the normal suspending springs allowed the reverb unit to lay on the inside of the case.

The Peavey support website is "down for maintenance". When it comes back online, you might want to try getting a manual. It may show the internals enough to help.
I have the manual already, but there was nothing on opening the amp or the details of the reverb. What do you is most like the issue with the reverb unit though? The amp shook after hitting a speed bump.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
OK, I guess I'll have to wait for the Peavey support to come back up and look for manual or call them for help. Thank you.
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
OK I was able to access the reverb unit, and the springs are fine. The only problem is when the unit moves, the four springs that hold the unit in place cause friction and produce noise. Is there a way to reduce the noise?
Ibanez RG350EX

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX

Digitech Bad Monkey

Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by neon10th at Aug 1, 2008,
It may be that the reverb unit is now hanging upside down on the four support springs. Look at it carefully to see if that is the case. If so, try rotating the whole unit upside down.

The unit should be hanging from all four springs, and the springs inside the unit itself should normally be on the bottom - where bottom is the down direction when the amplifier is in its normal position.

By the way, if you tilt the amplifier to try to aim the speaker up, it may cause the reverb unit to hit the inside of the amplifier.