I play a Tele with Seymour Duncan pickups (one humbucker). I am not interested in an amp with built in effects, I like my own (fuzz and octive and some distortion). A good clean channel is what I'm looking at... on a budget. Vox valvtronix 50w or Crate V50 tube? I have plenty of space to play loud I live in the country. My budget is $400. I'm not a metal guy... more of a psychadelic middle aged noise maker. I play my own stuff, I'm not looking for someone else sound. Yeah, I'm looking at used ones too, but every rusty Fender amp that looks like it was used as an ashtray is a "vintage" model and not a good bargain in my mind. Thanks.
Last edited by b2187101 at Jul 30, 2008,
Don't hate on the used vintage Fenders. The cosmetics of an ampreally don't matter, as long as it's all in one piece. Old Fenders sound amaaaaaaaazingly better than the present ones. All that aside, you might like the Crate V50. It can get pretty loud and it can also get pretty gainy (not metal gainy, think classic rock gain) and the clean channel is pretty decent. But if you want cleans, Vintage Fenders are THE way to go.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Voodoo cow. Thanks for your input. Didn't mean to disparage old Fender amps, I'm sure they are great. It's just the used music stores, pawn shops, etc. see the Fender logo on a 7 year old amp and they are charging pennies less than a NEW Fender amp. A 10 year old rusty cigarette burnt Fender amp that costs about as much as a New Fender amp isn't much of a bargain. I'm still trying to find the "little old lady getting rid of her son's things to make room for a quilting room" situation... but then I guess we all are.
^that fender amp is probably one of the nicest sounding ones you'll ever hear.

i'll reiterate what's already been said: ''COSMETICS DON'T MEAN A THING''

if it aint fallin' apart it shouldn't matter. old fenders will get you some of the best blues tones (assuming you like sparkly cleans and not too much gain) available
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by b2187101
Voodoo cow. Thanks for your input. Didn't mean to disparage old Fender amps, I'm sure they are great. It's just the used music stores, pawn shops, etc. see the Fender logo on a 7 year old amp and they are charging pennies less than a NEW Fender amp. A 10 year old rusty cigarette burnt Fender amp that costs about as much as a New Fender amp isn't much of a bargain. I'm still trying to find the "little old lady getting rid of her son's things to make room for a quilting room" situation... but then I guess we all are.

If you're serious about how you sound you won't get a new Fender. Quite frankly, none of the big name amp companies like Fender and Marshall aren't near what they used to be. Try looking on Ebay or craigslist or someplace like that, I've seen 70s silverface twins go for under 700 there. The new Twins are pretty good, but not as godly sweet as the silverface ones (plus they cost about twice as much). Yes, that 10 year old amp is a bargain. You're lucky they're not charging more for older amps than new ones. Buying guitar stuff is different from buying any other item in the world, you almost have to think backwards.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.