Hey guys, thanks for coming in here.

So, here's the drill. My brother had an old Zevilla (it's a spanish brand, I'm Puertorrican) acoustic guitar lying around, so I fixed it up, changed the strings and bought a book. So far I've learned quite some chords, the major scale and the chromatic scale and so on. I've done mostly notepicking on the book, and I want to try and buy an electric guitar to pass what I know of the book and to do the Part 2 of the book (covers Power Chords, Bar Chords and other stuff).

I went to samash.com and guitarcenter.com and I got interested in the Squier SE Special Stratocaster w/ SP-10 Amp (link to it: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Stop-Dreaming-Start-Playing-SE-Special-Strat-Pack-With-Squier-SP-10-Amp-104486238-i1177837.gc ) and I was wondering if it was a good buy, or if I should look into other thing. I'm going to be trying some jazz, blues and then proceeding into rock later on (when I get a better amp) and I was wondering if this would hold me off for a while, or if you had a better recommendation for a value pack in the 200-300 bucks range. Anything at all I need to know, just drop it in (my father is a musician and I played the saxophone before so I know 2-3 things, but we're basically nude on guitars).

Appreciate much your help and thanks for your time guys.
squires are alright.

wats ur budget?
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
I would try and find something different than a Squier. It might be good for a little, but a crappy guitar makes many think they play like crap. If you need to get one, try to get an Ibanez and then a cheap amp with it instead or something instead of a pack.
the thing with that package is that the only thing that will be okay in that package will be the guitar
so why dont you get a squier guitar by itself and look for a cheap amp (that will hold you over til later) and get cables,amp and so forth with better brands
my friend has a fender 15 watt amp that cost him around 50-75 bucks
get a 200 dollar guitar and then get the rest of the stuff with the 100-150 you have left
youll be happier,trust me.
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
Think about spending more money on the amp than the guitar. Better amp = better tone. Jay Turser makes great beginner guitars for good prices.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Alright. What you guys told me is basically what the majority of the reviews said wherever I read something (good guitar, rest is crap esp. the cables and the amp.)

So, knowing I'm going to get everything individually, what would be a good starting guitar and amplifier, and some good cables to hold me over I can fork some real dough?

Maybe this Guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-with-Tortoise-Shell-Pickguard-102545761-i1166294.gc

Any reccomendations on the amplifier and some cables, and anything else I might need to start with.
Quote by TheShehanigan
Alright. What you guys told me is basically what the majority of the reviews said wherever I read something (good guitar, rest is crap esp. the cables and the amp.)

So, knowing I'm going to get everything individually, what would be a good starting guitar and amplifier, and some good cables to hold me over I can fork some real dough?

Maybe this Guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-with-Tortoise-Shell-Pickguard-102545761-i1166294.gc

Any reccomendations on the amplifier and some cables, and anything else I might need to start with.

For cables, get either Live or Monster. My monster has lasted since the beginning of my playing, and my live was broken when I stepped on it on accident. For amplifier, just get a nice 15 watt Marshall or the like. You'll eventually need to invest in a bigger amp if you get more serious, so don't worry too much about the size for now.

Get an extra pack of strings and then if possible, have the guitar fixed at a guitar shop (one of my local ones sets it up for around $50) because it can fix buzzing, set the action, and fit the guitar to your playing style.

Get an amazing strap, and make it nice too. I have a $20 planet wave strap that is comfortable, and it puts all other straps to shame. It hurts if you don't have a good strap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JAY-TURSER-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-JT-300-w-MAPLE-NECK_W0QQitemZ280188291769QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2385QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

IMHO, this guitar would be a better deal than a Squier.

On the other hand, that tortoiseshell pickguard looks pretty sweet on that Squier......
IDK, they both look like they have the same specs except for the pickguard. You could just buy a tortoiseshell pickguard and put it on the Jay Turser.

But it's all up to you.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
I bought an Ibanez Grg when i started and i still use it. Played a squier and an actual American Stratocaster. And i wouldn't touch anything with the name caster or single coil crappy distorted pickups. Still it's your fingers, your preference.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
I say get a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and a microcube. Monster prolink cables are quite good for the price.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well, good gear=/=good player, but it helps a bit.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Alright. I set up a small possible buy for now.

The Fender Squier Standard Stratocaster I posted earlier, a Roland Micro Cube and some Monster 6 Feet Cable.

Now I am toying with the guitar (the amp. and the cables are quite in stone) but the only thing I am playing with is the guitar. I guess I'll go do some live shopping to test their sound and tone, and decide.
I would suggest the Xaviere guitars from guitarfetish. People say they're perfect starter guitars and give you much more bang for your buck than a Squire. Comes in a lot of styles too.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaviereguitars.html

Xaviere guitar $170-$220
Microcube $125
Other stuffs $20

Comes to $315-$365. Fits pretty well into your budget.
^ Good one!

Another option is the Squier Classic Vibe series: Strat, Tele, or DuoSonic.

The Tele is unbelievable tasty!
www.rondomusic.com

They have some good guitars for pretty good prices. As for amp, I had a Fender Frontman 15 when I started and it was ok. Not good for metal, lol, but blues, jazz and rock it would probably do ok with.
Quote by MaXiMuse
My teacher says Starter-packs are a waist of wood, steel, electricity and overall: Money.
So buya seperate guitar and amp according to him

i'd agree.

get a yamaha pacifica 112v ($200) and roland microcube ($130 i think? something around that, anyway). That'd leave you $20 for a cable, picks, spare set of strings and a strap. if you buy from a local store you might manage to get those thrown in for free, with any luck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?