I have an epiphone g-400 vintage sunburst. i think the stock string was .10, but when i bought it they gave me an extra earnie ball extra slinky(0.9) with it. i changed the strings, and now some strings buzz, mostly 6th. i tried to intonate it, and its messed up. help?
1. how do i get rid of the buzz?
2. when i intonate, the 12 fret (fretted note)'s sound changes as i press harder. When i intonate, how hard do i have to press? as hard as i can?
you wouldn't have to intonate it. You would just have to adjust the truss rod. Now that you've tweaked stuff that shouldn't be tweaked, i'd just bring it into a pro.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
^not really.

the lighter strings pulled less on the headstock. the neck is more straight and you are picking up fretbuzz.

you can try raising the bridge a little bit.

or you can measure neck relief.

either way you're going to end up intonating again at the end, but that was going to happen anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
you might have to replace the fret because it could of got worn down to far bring it to a guitar tech
^ that really doesn't seem to apply here either.

if you mean the 12th fret might be dead because he's having problems ringing out the note there. that's a bit of a stretch. if the frets are jumbo they will raise in pitch if you mash the note.

you need to learn to press the correct area and just until the not rings cleanly.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

My guitar is only 3month old, and my local store says it costs 100 bucks for set up!!@!!
ill just get a 1/64 ruler and try to adjust the action!
you dont need a ruler.

just raise the bridge a bit until the buzzing stops.

and if it's too high then, you'll need to measure neck relief.

if you want instructions then repost because i'm going off line in a few mins

to raise at bridge. loosen string tension a bit, then unscrew tops of bridge posts to loosen thumbscrews, pointed to by red arrows.
then raise the thumbscrews a little. and tighten it all up again.

if that doesnt help then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by jj1565
you dont need a ruler.

just raise the bridge a bit until the buzzing stops.

and if it's too high then, you'll need to measure neck relief.

if you want instructions then repost because i'm going off line in a few mins

to raise at bridge. loosen string tension a bit, then unscrew tops of bridge posts to loosen thumbscrews, pointed to by red arrows.
then raise the thumbscrews a little. and tighten it all up again.

if that doesnt help then repost.

thx! i think it will work!