I've been looking for guitar multi effects pedal with amp modelling that would be good for direct recording into the computer, so preferably it has a usb interface built into it. I have a Zoom g2.1u at the moment, but i'm looking to upgrade as its gone slightly faulty on me and I don't want to buy the same one again.

My budget is £250 max. I want to mainly use it for recording my own music and I want one that can get a really good metal tone for progressive metal such as Dream Theater or Opeth.

I've already seen a few that looked good such as the zoom g7 or g9 and the boss gt8. Can anyone give me their opinions on them or suggest an alternative that they think would be better. Thanks in advance
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Boss GT-8 or some model of a Zoom pedal seem to be the favourites that people on here reccommend for multi-effects. I have no experience with both, however.
Vox Tonelab, though you might need an overdrive pedal to go with it. See if you can get a Boss GT-8 somewhere, it's around that price I think.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by jaffawoman
Vox Tonelab, though you might need an overdrive pedal to go with it. See if you can get a Boss GT-8 somewhere, it's around that price I think.

yeah sorry for my late reply back but I have seen the boss gt8 for about £200ish. The only thing thats stopping my buying it is that zoom g7 and g9 which both have built in usb inputs and valve preamps as well. Thanks for the opinions!
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Last edited by nikhil101 at Jul 30, 2008,
the Zoom G7 and G9 are great mfx pedals. for live use, i would go for either these or a Vox tonelab but for recording, they do well.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by leviticus_22953
the Zoom G7 and G9 are great mfx pedals. for live use, i would go for either these or a Vox tonelab but for recording, they do well.

Cool thanks. Since you said that the zoom g7 and g9 and the tonelab are good for playing live, do you know of any other multi fx that are good for recording rather than playing live?
Quote by thegreensquall
the digitech guitar workstation thing looks pretty cool. ive never used it, but it looks like it has a ton of features for amp modeling, tones, and direct recording. actually i just saw your budget...im not sure how much the digitech pedal is so i dont know...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I have used the Digitech GNX3000 and it's fantastic. I tried every multi effects out there before I bought and overall this is the one. The GT8 had the best effects and the Tonelab had the best real valve tone but the GT8 is very complex to use and the amp models were just OK and the Tonelab is restricted in its options and isn't so good at high gain. The GNX offers huge variety in amp models, good effects and is awesome at high gain. For you the real benefit is unrivalled computer interface for recording and all the software for recording comes with it. What's even better is that Digitech are phasing it out so you can pick one up dirt cheap right now. Actually, you could probably buy a new GNX3000 and the supermodels disc and still spend less than the GT8 or Tonelab. I'm afraid the Zoom just left me cold, as did the Pod XTL, which was very digital and fizzy.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by InanezGuitars44
the digitech guitar workstation thing looks pretty cool. ive never used it, but it looks like it has a ton of features for amp modeling, tones, and direct recording. actually i just saw your budget...im not sure how much the digitech pedal is so i dont know...

Yeah I had actually considered it but apparently i'd heard that the distortion on it was not too good? The GNX3 is within by budget btw.
Quote by thegreensquall
Quote by Doadman
I have used the Digitech GNX3000 and it's fantastic. I tried every multi effects out there before I bought and overall this is the one. The GT8 had the best effects and the Tonelab had the best real valve tone but the GT8 is very complex to use and the amp models were just OK and the Tonelab is restricted in its options and isn't so good at high gain. The GNX offers huge variety in amp models, good effects and is awesome at high gain. For you the real benefit is unrivalled computer interface for recording and all the software for recording comes with it. What's even better is that Digitech are phasing it out so you can pick one up dirt cheap right now. Actually, you could probably buy a new GNX3000 and the supermodels disc and still spend less than the GT8 or Tonelab. I'm afraid the Zoom just left me cold, as did the Pod XTL, which was very digital and fizzy.

Cool thanks for the detailed info I'll try and check it out and see.

EDIT: I might actually pick this up i can get it for £150 which is a really good deal considering the specs of it. And yeah I'm not looking for too many effects really just more good amp models because tbh I'm not much of an actual effects junkie. Oh yeah what exactly is the supermodels disc? Is it extra amp models for the digitech gnx series or something?
Quote by thegreensquall
Last edited by nikhil101 at Jul 31, 2008,
Boss GT-8

The arrival of the GT-10 means that Prices go down for the GT-8, which is still a quality unit.
I got mine for £169 and it's a complete steal even at that. At £150 I'd be quick because they won't last long at that price. It's cheap, which is great but in all honesty, regardless of price, this was the best overall effects unit I tried and I'd have spent twice that on it. If you try before you buy (and there's no real need to) make sure you either try it with headphones or through a PA speaker and keep in mind that the Superdisc patches offer a huge improvement on the factory settings. The Supermodels disc offers new amp models and artist patches that have been refined for the GNX. There are hundreds of them on the disc with some being absolutely incredible. I especially like the 5150, Engl Powerball and Rectifier patches. If you like distortions, the GNX will serve you well. The coolest feature is the warp channel so you can put one amp model on channel 1, a different one on channel 2 and then merge the two together on the third, warp channel, creating a whole new amp sound. The computer software means you can alter the ratio in which they're mixed with the click of a mouse. It really is that simple. I think the Supermodels disc costs about £60 but someone gave me a copy so PM me.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by nikhil101
Yeah I had actually considered it but apparently i'd heard that the distortion on it was not too good? The GNX3 is within by budget btw.
I have a GNX3 and love it. If an 8 track recorder/jamman looper with synced drum machine is something you'd use then the GNX3 is a great unit.

The drawbacks are no USB record and you need to buy an expensive SmartMedia card to get full use of the recorder. The FX and distortion are decent if you tweak it. The dual blended amp capability can be used to achieve some good tones. And you can record using coax SPDIF for a straight noiseless digital path (like USB). You will need MIDI to software tweak the patches and saving presets (a must for easy tweaking).
I dont think the GT8 has a USB out but the TD10 does.
The POD XT Live from line6 will stream audio down the USB line however if you want some good quality recordings you are better off getting a seperate audio interface of some kind such as the E-MU 0202 or 0404.
The Pod XTL is plagued with fizz whenever I've tried them and at £100 more than a GNX3000 it would be crazy, not least of which because it isn't as good. Of all the ones I tried, the XTL was the first to be dismissed. It's personal preference I suppose and I guess all of them will have some kind of flaw to them so you can only choose what suits you best at the time and what is the best value.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I keep hearing about this "fizz". Mine is just clean and sweet and I don't get it. It outperforms any modeling/efx amp i've ever plugged into by miles. Don't have alot of experience with other multi's, but fizz (or any unwanted noise) is not an issue with my POD xt live.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by moody07747
I dont think the GT8 has a USB out but the TD10 does.
The POD XT Live from line6 will stream audio down the USB line however if you want some good quality recordings you are better off getting a seperate audio interface of some kind such as the E-MU 0202 or 0404.

Yeah I've decided im going to go with Goadman's suggestion of the digitech gnx3000 and I might also pickup the E-MU 0202. But first I'm going to test out the built in usb recording interface that the digitech already has just to see how good it is and if I need to purchase a seperate audio interface. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote by thegreensquall
Any of the digitech rp series are amazing you can really create your own tone and they are not too expensive!