I failed a chemistry course a year ago that I don't really need but that would be useful to have, so I have decided to study during the summer to retake the final exam this fall. I got stuck on this question early on, any help solving it would be appreciated.

Cholorine has two naturally occurring isotopes,

35Cl (35 would be the mass number), isotopic mass 34,9689 amu (Da) and
37Cl, isotopic mass 36,9659 amu.

If chlorine has an atomic mass of 35,4527 amu, what is the percent abundance of each isotope?

thanks in advance
its infinity.
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
You can't call something "fairly easy" if you can't do it yourself

I'm sorry - I can't do Chemistry. Good luck in Chemistry though
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

We're geeks in guitar, not geeks in Chemistry!
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
I said it was fairly easy because for anyone who has studied chemistry it probably is. I just started out though, and I am not very good at it.

aww, I've seen harder questions than this answered here, so I am sure there's someone out there.
Quote by visionen
I said it was fairly easy because for anyone who has studied chemistry it probably is. I just started out though, and I am not very good at it.

This is bloody killing me, I'm taking chemistry and I should be able to do this, but alas it's summer and my mind is switched off.
The answer is Jeff Loomis.

I'm kidding, I dont know, Chemistry hurt my brain when I took it.
i cant remember exactly how to do this (mostly because i have a headache and it would take a lot of effort to try to remember), but could you not find the difference between each of the isotopic masses and the atomic mass, take these numbers as a ratio to each other, convert it to a percentage?
probably doesnt work, but sure worth a go. sorry i cant be more help
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Musuc Man JP6, fully loaded
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
its a fairly simple problem actually. you more or less have to get them to average together to be that number. ill do the numbers in just a minute..
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
Quote by blynd_snyper
This is bloody killing me, I'm taking chemistry and I should be able to do this, but alas it's summer and my mind is switched off.

I know how you feel. Perhaps its not that easy, I sort of assumed it should be though because its the first chapter.
Quote by ZoSoII_13
its a fairly simple problem actually. you more or less have to get them to average together to be that number. ill do the numbers in just a minute..

thanks!
i got a ratio of about 3.12:1. so thats what, a little less than 25% Cl37, little more than 75% Cl35?
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
sorry, 32% and 68%. again, sorry if thats wrong, but i havent done chemistry in a few months!
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
its about 76% of the smaller isotope and 24% of the larger one. thats not exact, but its close enough
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

Quote by el-gilberto
sorry, 32% and 68%. again, sorry if thats wrong, but i havent done chemistry in a few months!

the first one was right
ah sh1t, i was right first time?
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
Quote by ZoSoII_13
its about 76% of the smaller isotope and 24% of the larger one. thats not exact, but its close enough

Thanks

Quote by el-gilberto
ah sh1t, i was right first time?

yup
ok, so 35.4527 - 34.9689 = 0.4838 <---atomic mass - smaller isotope
36.9659 - 35.4527 = 1.5132 <--- larger isotope - atomic mass
these are the differences between isotope masses and atomic mass

1.5132/0.4838 = 3.1278 <---your ratio right there
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
Last edited by el-gilberto at Jul 30, 2008,
to find it, you set up a ratio of each isotopes respective differences from the original 354527. the first isotope is 4838 from that number, and the second is 15132 from the number. set up a proportion:

15132/4838 = x/1

x=3.12

therefore there is 312% more of the first isotope present than the second, and the resulting percentages are 75.7% of the first, and 24.3% of the second.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Quote by ZoSoII_13
to find it, you set up a ratio of each isotopes respective differences from the original 354527. the first isotope is 4838 from that number, and the second is 15132 from the number. set up a proportion:

15132/4838 = x/1

x=3.12

therefore there is 312% more of the first isotope present than the second, and the resulting percentages are 75.7% of the first, and 24.3% of the second.

high 5!! go team chemistry
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
2 sides of the atlantic, same process.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..