So I have had a Dunlop Classic Crybaby Wah-Wah for about a year and a half now, and though I don't use it as much as I should, I try to throw it into use whenever necessary.

One problem I have had is finding a satisfying tone on my amplifier that also allows for the wah-wah pedal to give off a good tone.

I have been able to get the pedal to really go at it and have loved it, but that's when I am using a tone is basically treble and overdrive heavy, which isn't what I play with.

I play with a slightly overdriven but clean tone (similar to Warren Haynes's tone), and whenever I the play the wah-wah with that (or a similar EQ set-up), the Crybaby makes me want to cry because it sounds like complete ****.

I'm happy with using the pedal as a tone assister such as the way Frank Zappa does with simply having it on and slightly open, because that has worked fairly well with all of various amp settings, but whenever I'm trying to rock my 'baby the sound isn't satisfying.

Any help or suggestions?
you need a different wah i suppose. if you're into more vintage tones i say Vox V847a

if you've got a higher budget than $100 there are others, but as a stock pedal i don't think you'll beat it for $100
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
The circuit of the Vox and Crybaby are essentially the same. Its a sideways step at best making that change.
the stock sounds of those two pedals are NOT the same though. but what would i know, i only own both.

the crybaby is more of a tone sucker and not quite as good at vintage tones IMO.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Do you mean the bypass signal?

Then, yes, the crybaby is a tone sucker (they both are, but the crybaby much moreso), but either one should be modded for a true bypass anyway. When engaged they are voiced the same. I have also owned both.
Mod it. There are plenty of sites that show you how to do some very simple mods that can make a big difference. If you still don't like how it sounds, you should probably look into getting a new wah.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
the vox v847a has a buffered bypass, works very well and technically does suck some tone but hardy any at all. ionno, maybe it's just my ears but the vox handles cleans and up to mid gain great while the crybaby handles mid gain to higher gain great.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
The Crybaby Classic unfortunately uses SMD parts, tiny and a real pain to work with. The Original Crybaby is the wah to mod, can make it better than Fulltone or RMC if you want
Quote by slash_rocks2005
the vox v847a has a buffered bypass, works very well and technically does suck some tone but hardy any at all. ionno, maybe it's just my ears but the vox handles cleans and up to mid gain great while the crybaby handles mid gain to higher gain great.

You're probably the closest to answering what I'm looking for.

Thanks to everyone for the input, because I will most-likely end up modifying my wah-wah pedal when I have the opportunity. Today I took the pedal out of my effects "chain" (more like couple) so that I only had my BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver. The tone was incredibly breathtaking.

Anyways, back to the point:

I realize that the wah-wah pedal itself is tone-sucking, but I want to understand if the fact that it is effecting the overall tone has anything to do with the wah-wah's tone itself. Today I played only with the wah-wah pedal and I had my treble at ten. It sounded great. However, if I add any middle or bass it doesn't sound good. I understand that when I use the wah-wah and the BOSS together that the BOSS may suck the tone from the wah-wah, but I don't understand how the amp settings should effect the wah-wah pedal.
well the wah wah will derive it's sound from the amp and then shape THAT so it does make sense that ur amp's EQ plays a roll. apparently you have two things to consider:

1) your tone WITHOUT the wah on (bypassed) and

2) your tone WITH the wah on

both need to be acceptable to YOUR ears. i find that the crybaby robbed more tone while it was on (keep in mind this is an unmodded basic level dunlop wah) than when it was off, but still more while it was off than my vox currently does.

so if you go the route of an older crybaby model and modding it: power to that. but it'll take a lil work and tad extra money for parts but still come out cheaper than much nicer boutique ones.

but if you want a wah that'll sound great w/o modding it much from clean to mid gain, i say vox. you'll find, though, that w/ a vox wah, you WON'T want your treble all the way up or else your ears WILL bleed. i find w/ high mids, treble somewhere in the 3/4 or lil lower range, and half bass seems to work quite well w/ my wah. oh yea and of course on the neck pup. that makes it nice, fat and warm. on bridge it'll be a lil sharper remember that.

oh and hope this is helpin more
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
well the wah wah will derive it's sound from the amp and then shape THAT so it does make sense that ur amp's EQ plays a roll. apparently you have two things to consider:

1) your tone WITHOUT the wah on (bypassed) and

2) your tone WITH the wah on

both need to be acceptable to YOUR ears. i find that the crybaby robbed more tone while it was on (keep in mind this is an unmodded basic level dunlop wah) than when it was off, but still more while it was off than my vox currently does.

so if you go the route of an older crybaby model and modding it: power to that. but it'll take a lil work and tad extra money for parts but still come out cheaper than much nicer boutique ones.

but if you want a wah that'll sound great w/o modding it much from clean to mid gain, i say vox. you'll find, though, that w/ a vox wah, you WON'T want your treble all the way up or else your ears WILL bleed. i find w/ high mids, treble somewhere in the 3/4 or lil lower range, and half bass seems to work quite well w/ my wah. oh yea and of course on the neck pup. that makes it nice, fat and warm. on bridge it'll be a lil sharper remember that.

oh and hope this is helpin more

Yes, I really appreciate your help. I'm a complete n00b when it comes to understanding amplifiers and effects.

Will modifying the pedal for a true bypass also allowed for the Crybaby to work better with various settings also?
Quote by slayerfrk
zakk wylde wah

*slaps*

NO!
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Will modifying the pedal for a true bypass also allowed for the Crybaby to work better with various settings also?

True Bypass only affects the wah when it's off. Only difference when it's on will be a slight volume drop if you remove the buffer which most people do when switching to true bypass. Again though, the Classic Crybaby is difficult to mod because of the surface mount parts.
Okay. Well, for now I'll have to manage with it. I don't use the wah-wah often because of the tone-related reasons, so for now I'll have to play with it only when I'm in the mood for it and set the amp for the purpose of the wah-wah pedal.

Thanks to everyone for their input.