Yeah well i got my first guitar about 12 years ago. Been playing ever since. I made my chops into 2 studio albums, and also played some live. Without sound like a complete smuck, i can play rhythm really well. Nothing is too fast or too wild for me. BUT, i completey SUCK at solo'ing. I struggle with even the easiest sounding solos. Fade to black intro solo? Suck. One intro solo? Suck.

Anyone else here have the same issue as me? I feel like a complete noob when i watch those 14 year old kids on youtube, shredding like malmsteen after playing only a year. How do i get over this bump? I really try, but its like... my left hand just wont coorporate.
Well, maybe it just isn't your thing... I mean, what's wrong with playing rhythm? James got by pretty well If rhythm's your thing, stick with it... These YouTube may be able to play these crazy solos, but I bet half of them can't play rhythm if their life depended on it. There are many styles of guitar-playing, and solos aren't the be all and end all.
for rent
just start running through scales 24/7 just play them slow then build up speed it will help your tequenique or however the hell u spell it a lot
right... so you can't cope with the speed or what? But you can play fast rhythms? You need to get a different style altogether when you're doing lead guitar, but try and transferr some of the techniques you use when playing rhythm into playing lead.

For instance, if you can tremolo pick rhythms well, try tremolo picking on higher strings, and with less aggression (don't wanna break a string), and there you go, one soloing technique nailed.

Pretty much the only techinques rhythm doesn't cover is the unique ones, like tapping and sweeping, which just require a lot of practice in those specific areas, you can find online lessons easily, and remember, be patient, it will take a while.
you just got to practice. I can play solos written by other bands but I am bad at applying the scales into solos. It just sounds too mechanical for me. Just keep working at it, rhythm is very important too. I'm not good at rhythm really I need a metronome most of the time i play too.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
Maybe you're just not a lead guitarist, some people just really arent meant to do that kind of stuff.

Hell, I know guys who've been playing for 30+ years, and I can play faster than them, but it doesnt neccesarily mean I'm better than them.

So regardless of how "fast" these youtube kids are, I can almost guarentee you're a better guitarist.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Gakusey
Well, maybe it just isn't your thing... I mean, what's wrong with playing rhythm? James got by pretty well If rhythm's your thing, stick with it... These YouTube may be able to play these crazy solos, but I bet half of them can't play rhythm if their life depended on it. There are many styles of guitar-playing, and solos aren't the be all and end all.

Ofcourse theres nothing wrong with playing rhythm. I just want to be able to play some nice solo's too. I dont need to be shred king or anything. But some solos seem SO easy, im embaressed i cant play them.
Quote by ShredNChunk
I struggle with even the easiest sounding solos. Fade to black intro solo? Suck. One intro solo? Suck.

if their so easy how come you cant play them.. how about stop trying metallica.. and learn some green day or something..now thats easy

lay off the fast stuff.. solos dont have to be fast
Hey I'm in a similar postition, you just gotta learn it real slow with a metronome and then when you can play it 5 times in a row right then you speed it up a bit.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
Quote by Gakusey

You're right, theres nothing wrong with just rhythm guitar, however if sum1 wants to expand their musical proficiency i don't think you should try to dissuade them.

TS, a major issue with alot of new lead players is they forget to stay in time with the music when they improvise. I duno how good you are at this but it might be an area you might want to analyse if you cant get things to sound good. Practice simple licks to a metronome and once u have them down, try to expand them in new and innovative ways. Also, make sure you know your scales inside and out. Pentatonic minor, natural minor and blues will probably start you off pretty well.

Also, remember with good vibrato you can make even a single note sound emotive, so practice this well.
Last edited by Atreideslegend at Jul 30, 2008,
I think u should just start with easy solos...like

What I Got - Sublime
or
Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers

just trust me..easy stuff like that can go a long way...they arent fast but they sound great
Im not completely untrained. I tried to skill up my lead playing over my entire "career". So i actualy know adequate enough about scales, modes, key notes etc. I know HOW to play it. I just cant transfer it to my left hand.

On another node, i got the troy stetina heavy metal lead 1 book. im trying that right now. It says it normaly takes about 4-6 month to complete. I had it for 6 months now, and i still havent completed the 2nd solo in the book. When i learned playing guitar in my early days i was a fast learner. And still am. But as soon as it involves solos/lead im a very slow learner.
practice

choose an easy solo and just practice it till you nail it

surely practicing solos will help you get better at them ?:]
practice......eventualy it will come.

Dont say you can't...because you can....even if you are missing hands...you could still find a way..........that what guitar playin is about.
Quote by ShredNChunk
I really try, but its like... my left hand just wont coorporate.

Yes it will cooperate.

Now, that that's out of the way, the question is why?

There's really nothing to go on to tell you that. "practice", isn't much of an answer.
I'm sure you'd know that by now. But, clearly what you're doing when you practice
isn't very effective getting you anywhere. So, rather than spend more time just
continuing on with more of your "practice", you might want to have a look at how
you're practicing. I'd say the most likely cause of your problems is there.
Quote by ShredNChunk
Yeah well i got my first guitar about 12 years ago. Been playing ever since. I made my chops into 2 studio albums, and also played some live. Without sound like a complete smuck, i can play rhythm really well. Nothing is too fast or too wild for me. BUT, i completey SUCK at solo'ing. I struggle with even the easiest sounding solos. Fade to black intro solo? Suck. One intro solo? Suck.

Anyone else here have the same issue as me? I feel like a complete noob when i watch those 14 year old kids on youtube, shredding like malmsteen after playing only a year. How do i get over this bump? I really try, but its like... my left hand just wont coorporate.
Forget about soloing for a while and devote your time and energy to learning every melody you possibly can, including jazz, classical, torch songs, standards...everything. Your soloing will get orders of magnitude better if you'll do this.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
The fact that your making it seem like a big thing probably isn't helping, giving you a mental block.
You just need to break it up into small manageable chunks, one phrase or one bar at a time, maybe even less.

But start out slowly, maybe have a trawl through the suggest me a song thread to get some easy solos in songs, dont want to end up getting this thread closed.

I get myself into a rut, listening to the likes of Dream Theater then trying to play a John Petrucci solo then putting the guitar down about 15 seconds later, but a couple of weeks ago I learned the first Erotomania solo and it only took me about 2 hours.

Good Luck!
Quote by ShredNChunk

Hi Mate, dont get too disheartened, I busk and started as a rythem guitarist (which took time to develop my own rythem feel) and over time I bought a looper and began looping rythems and then applying basic pentatonic /blues scales. I have been playing for about 15yrs and I set myself little goals and I also play the fade to black solo and just stick with the notes of the Bminor pentatonic scale and I am a self taught guitarist but I also get an acceptable version of the lead intro for fade to black and I develop my own version and thats how I do it because thats an opportunity to express me and not to become a clone of someone else. So my suggestion would be to obviously listen to the rythem on a particular song and imagine what could fit in their and then use your scale to play whats ringing in your head...also I break the guitar up like a mixing desk and think of it in terms of high, mids and lows for e.g. highs would be strings 1 & 2 (e and b) and 3 & 4 (D and G strings) mids and lows obviously (A and E), by doing this I can break the lead guitar up and just apply various cleches (everyone uses) to get a similar sound. Anyway mate thats what I do and it may work for you but keep going and if you have the desire to become good at lead well it is inside of you and just keep persisting as its just waiting there for the right trigger for it to come out and when its does you will be surprised and then you can express whats been inside you more freely rather than having to think too deeply!

cheers mate and rock on
shaggs
Focus on thinking quickly and cleanly. Lots of other activities can help develop this as well (idk, martial arts?)

Of course you can't just go out kickboxing and expect to play fade to black intro perfectly.

Personally I'm on the fence on rhythm and lead (not saying I'm godly at either..), and I find that solo at the beginning to be just a lot of patterns/muscle memory and such save for maybe one part that might take a little to learn. Your fingers will figure it out after it while.

A good song with some cool little solos is "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" by the Arctic Monkeys. Idk if that type of music is up your alley, but the solos are easy.
Be thankful you've got a really solid sense of rhythm. If and when you do learn to solo better you'll sound great because your timing will be impeccable.

Remember that lead work isn't all headcrushingly fast runs and sweeps. Playing fast doesn't mean jack shit if you can't play slowly and make it sound damn good.

Don't worry about playing other peoples solos so much. Get really gnarley at improvising instead. Record a short backing track with just one or two chords and jam over it. Record yourself doing that to see how it sounds in retrospect and to pick out cool licks you might have played, and to pick up on things you still need work on.

Put a lot of attention into phrasing and using tension and resolve effectively.

Also, when you practice technique, it is imperative you do it perfectly. Go as slowly as you must to get it absolutely flawless, then take it up by two BPM, get it flawless there, take it up 2BPM, etc. (Your metronome is your best friend here.) However don't do it for hours at a time, do 30 minutes to an hour tops of really intense focused practice a day and it'll be sufficient. Spend the rest of your time practicing improv, learning songs, whatever.

I don't know if you're into them, but Tool has a lot of songs with great leads and solos in them, plus some damn fine rhythm work. Check out The Pot, Prison Sex, Rosetta Stoned, and Schism to name a few.

Also, of course Pink Floyd has amazing lead work that isn't crazy fast. Comfortably Numb, Echoes, Money, and Dogs are all fantastic.
My lessons in sig. If you want to see where I got with a few years of following that stuff you can check the rolleyes smiley in my sig - it's just practicing left hand technique for you and knowing your scales all over the neck, i think.