I've decided that I want to get a compression pedal. I've been looking around at a few different types, and so far I've been looking at the MXR Dyna Comp and Super Comp, as well as the EHX Soul Preacher (one I've had my eye on the most).

I know Keeley also has good compressors, but I can't try any out since my moms trying to sell the car and doesn't want anyone in it unless absoultely necessary.

Thanks,

Chris
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Last edited by Chris_Parker at Jul 30, 2008,
Could someone fill me in on what a compressor does sorry for possibly taking your thread i just was never sure? But i agree with Adam its best for you to try it before you buy it.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
If you can find one, try and play with a Retro-Sonic compressor. I was actually more impressed with it than with the Keeley. Both are Ross compressor based circuits, but the Retro-Sonic has a bit more of an adjustment range and costs a bit less.

The Soul Preacher is yet another Ross compressor based circuit that works well, but colors the tone a bit and can generate a touch of noise when you start turning the knobs up. I like it a lot better than any other entry/mid grade comp.

If you're willing to shop digital, take a long hard look at the Nova Dynamics from TC Electronic.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
All right, I'll definitely keep an eye out. Are the EHX/MXRs genrally good, though? I have an EHX DVD with a bunch of demos, and the Soul Preacher sounded pretty good, I'm just not sure how it compares to the others. I plan on listening to those MXR/Keeley/Retro-Sonic/etc. demos, but the only thing I dislike with demos is that it's not with my guitars, amps, and/or pedals.

A compressor basically is an automatic volume control, decreasing output level when the input signal is loud, and increasing when it is quiet. It makes your sound a little more consistent, in other words. It keeps the attack, though, it doesn't make it like a signle picth/level. It just evens out the volume. It also adds sustain to the guitar without a lot of distortion (like in a Big Muff Pi).
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
The best compressor I've seen that is still in production is the sigma comp by cmatmods. It is dead quiet and works great for compression or as a clean boost. It's better than any EHX and MXR pedals I've ever tried. It ranks up there with the Keeley but it's not as spongey as the keeley. cmatmods also make another compressor and chad (the owner) tells me that it's got more of a spongey compression if that is what you are looking for but I haven't tried that one.

Quote by kylendm
Could someone fill me in on what a compressor does sorry for possibly taking your thread i just was never sure?

A compressor squishes down the spikes in your guitars signal and it boosts the quieter stuff so that it's all closer to the same volume. Good compressors will also have frequancy controlles.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 30, 2008,
i am a compressor junky!!!

i have 3 of them.

mxr dyna comp
boss cs-3
vox snake charmer

the mxr dynba comp is pretty much the industry standard and my personal favorite.
the boss cs-3 is a little noisey but has a boost in it and is fun to play with
the vox snake charmer is the quietest...

if my memory serves me right the keely comp is a copy of the old dyna comp..(ceramic caps etc.) there very very nice.

compressors level your guitars low and high freq's...by "squashing" the signal...

it would be worth your while to try before you buy...

good luck