Couple questions. 1, I cant hear my bassists amp. Its a 90 watt and when I and the drummer get going, we cant hear anything. Is a 90 watt enough that we should hear it while were playing? 2, our timing was all off. Im playing ryhthm so shouldnt I be following the drummer? It seemed like he was trying to follow me and so was our bassist. For all you experienced band members playing guitar, do you (as a rhythm guitarist) set the pace or should the drummer set the pace?
well u should agree on who's settin the pace but really that is what drums are for

but, when im trying to teach my drummer something he hasn't heard I make him follow me I guess

oh and if your bassist is turned all the way up then maybe he needs to play the bass a little harder
1. How loud is your/other guitarists amp/ how hard does your drummer hit?
2. The drummer should set this time. Have you ever seen a rhythm guitarist strumming crotchets before the start of a song?
If your drummer isn't very good at keeping time, get him to practise with a metronome.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
the amp? yes, that should be enough for a small practise. if anything it should be you that's hardest to hear, so something is up. is the gain too low? maybe it's just plain broken.

as for keeping in time, try coming in one at a time; drums then bass then guitar and getting a feel for the groove before playing. try and tap your foot to the rhythm if you're not already. that always helps me. could just be that one of you is simply a bad timekeeper, which happens when you're used to playing on your own. try playing with a metronome at home (writing a simple drum part in guitar pro and putting it on loop also works well).
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
For the bass thing, there could be several problems. 90w should be enough to at least be heard practicing. So make sure you bassist is turned up... or on. Make sure your drummer is not playing like his drums only make sound if he breaks his sticks on them. And as a guitarist, turn down, your shrill sounds come out much more clearly than us low end.

Drum should be providing a good beat, and you should be giving riffs that sound good (not solo level of lead shredding mind you) if your on rhythm. The bass should be connecting the solid beat and the riff.
1. turn your guitar down

2. drummer keeps beat.. just tell him that, and he's understand

3. don't play songs they don't know.. tell them to listen to the songs at home (if you are doing covers) and then have them prepared for the next practice.. learning songs at practice is never good
as for my amp, i was turned up way to loud at first. I couldnt even hear my drummer playing. I turned down and then it was much better. I do tap my foot to the beat. I used to be a drummer so i know what hes gonna do and when. As for the bassist, i have a feeling hes not plucking those strings hard enough. I noticed that when we would just screw around and jam. If he uses a pick all the time then its alot more noticeable. Our drummer hits plenty hard though. He slams them pretty good. I think part of the problem could have maybe been that i was to loud the whole time. We used to try and jam with my line 6, 15 watt and I'd have that thing blasted with my ear up to it cuz the drums would drown me out. Now, i think im just wanting payback cuz i can drown him out with eeeez. I'll turn way down next time and go from there. As for the bassist, should he be using a pick all the time or just pluck the hell out of those strings? I told him use a pick and he said your nto supposed to for this song. I dont know, i cant tell the difference in tone; its just louder.
a lot of bass players are very defensive about their slant on the finger picking/plectrum debate, so I wouldn't advise asking him to change his style. by bass player won't stop finger picking even when his fingers start bleeding.

honestly, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to do whichever he likes. it's a problem you should try and solve; if you think volume is a problem now, it'll be worse when you get to decent sized venue.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
Quote by Lin
a lot of bass players are very defensive about their slant on the finger picking/plectrum debate, so I wouldn't advise asking him to change his style. by bass player won't stop finger picking even when his fingers start bleeding.

honestly, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to do whichever he likes. it's a problem you should try and solve; if you think volume is a problem now, it'll be worse when you get to decent sized venue.

we were at a point when we were just jamming one day and had his amp was turned full blast. It still wasnt very noticeable. He contimplating getting a bigger amp so when we get to do bigger venues someday, he'll have the equipment. We'll see how our next practice goes. I'd like to hear how him and the drummer sound alone and go from there with my volume.
Your bassist needs a louder amp, 90watts isn't even close to cutting it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You're a team. You and the drummer need to turn down (hit softer... whatever....) so that you blend. It's that simple. The problem I see in the future is not what is going to happen when you play larger venues. The problem in the future is going to be when you get a singer. With a drummer whacking the living crap out of his kit and your guitar amp screaming in everyone's ear, and the bass player with his 90W amp, playing with a pick, and cranked to the tits and still not loud enough.... good luck hearing your singer.

As far as bigger gigs. It doesn't matter HOW big the gig is. You DO NOT NEED big @ss loud amps. I played a large outdoor festival when I was 17 through a little 10W solid-state Peavey Decade amp. *Plenty* loud enough.

But how? Drop a mic in front of it!! It has to go through the PA anyways, right? The bass amp will probably have a direct out. Even if he was playing Wembley Stadium, he'd run a direct out from his amp to the PA and be good to go.

The problem with big loud amps and drummers who can't control their levels is this.... Give a soundman a good well-balanced and not-too-loud stage volume, and he can mix what comes through the mains so it sounds great everywhere in the room, and have full control over the mix. Now, throw in Buddy Wannabe and his 25 000W custom tube blaster amp cranked to the tits. Now the guitar is the loudest thing in the room. Even without the PA, the guitar is blasting right into the center of the room and is making people's ears bleed in front of the stage. The best the soundman can do now is damage control. At best, he can make you sound listenable. At worst..... he will hate you because the audience will think that he can't do his job, when the problem wasn't his to begin with.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
If you're bassist with a 90 watt amp cannot be heard on full blast then he's not the problem. Turn your amp down and tell your drummer to play softer.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Go to your bassist amp and look at the knobs.

Try turning the Bass equilizations up some. It should help cut through everybody. Also, try elevating his amp. Closer to ears means it'll seem louder.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by trey-col89
If you're bassist with a 90 watt amp cannot be heard on full blast then he's not the problem. Turn your amp down and tell your drummer to play softer.

I will do that. We were in a small @ss room so being to loud was pretty easy.
The bassist needs a bigger amp. 90 watts will not be heard in a band setting. At least 150 or 200 watts is going to be necesarry. Preferably 300 watts or more.

Remember that bass amps are naturally quieter compared to guitar amps. A 300 watt bass amp isn't overkill like a guitar amp with the same.
Quote by CurbstompBass
The bassist needs a bigger amp. 90 watts will not be heard in a band setting. At least 150 or 200 watts is going to be necesarry. Preferably 300 watts or more.

Remember that bass amps are naturally quieter compared to guitar amps. A 300 watt bass amp isn't overkill like a guitar amp with the same.

Hes looking into getting a bigger one anyway. Hes only been playing for 3 months so its his first amp. The room we jam in has a half stack (if that what you call it for bass amps) in there. The only reason we didnt have him running through that was because my friend had music going through it, just to get us used to playing along with the song and get the beats down. Now that i think about it, that half stack might not even been for bass. I think it might have been for keyboards or something. Either way, when he hooked up to it just screwing around, it shook the damn house. We just couldnt have him and the music going through it at the same time.
People follow drummers

Tell your bassist to play whichever way is most comfortable and hope to god (even though i don't like THAT much) that it is with a pick so you get that volume boost you need
I don't know how you can't hear a 90 watter.
My bassist uses a 30 watt amp and he only needs to go half way to get over drums.
90 watts isn't much power at all for a bass amp. Have him crank his Mids and Treble and to leave the bass flat. The human ear picks up those frequencies easier so he'll cut through better. Make sure you guys soften up too.
Tell you bassist to turn it up, as for timing give it time then as the band comes more comfortably playing together things will gel better
Quote by Stop Messin'
Every pic of Jimmy Page taken looking up at him. He looks like a 10 foot tall GOD!
U need to turn down, and bassist needs to play harder
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by axemanchris
Buddy Wannabe and his 25 000W custom tube blaster amp cranked to the tits.
CT

I know him. He works in the local supermarket stackin' shelves.

Believe it or not, that's one of the reasons why Motorhead's original guitarist Larry Wallis left the band, because he had much louder gear than anyone else and used to practice at full tit, which pissed the other guys off.
And for all those of you that said, 'Larry who?'.... that's my point entirely.
Perfect. Just.... perfect.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.