Page 1 of 2
I went down to my local guitar store and i asked him for an overdrive to try on a Peavey Windsor 100. I told him i wanted more heavyness out of it and he tweaked some settings and told me about contour, etc. I liked the tone, it was SO nice. He knocked $40 off the head, and the matching slant cab was on sale for $300.

All in all, I bought a Peavey windsor 100w tube head and matching 4x12 slant cab for $713. I am going to get a tubescreamer possibly later on to crank it a little more. I'm so happy

I only put down a little bit of money because I get paid on the tenth and he said he'll hold it.
i give you a 1, failed to show pics X(
and also 713 you could get a hell of a lot better as stated, and the cab is just a failure.
>_>

What could I have gotten better? it's brand new with a 5 year warranty..
Oh yeah, I thought the tone WAS a little on the lighter side though.

Would I get a "heavier" sound more suitable for hard rock, if I swapped the tubes?
the reason the cab was on sale is because they blow
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
Heres why there stating that the cab is a bust...

Cheap guitar gear comes and goes like the wind... You will out grow that cab so the warranty is pointless...

Should have gotten a good 2x12 cab by avatar... It will last you alot longer possibly a lifetime..
Do you guys really think it's that bad?

I can take the money back that I put down on it..
It was really an impulse buy.. I wasn't planning on buying anything today.

I could get a used randall 100 and genz benz 2x12 for $650..

BAH. I'm regretting putting down money for it.

dude congradulations on getting the mg of tubes

i would listen to this if you werent an 08er
the windsor heads are built like crap. I went through three in less than six months and I finally picked up to blue voodoos that kick ass. GC sells the head for $300 and then you have to put up another $300 to put better tubes and to fix the poor craftsmansip.
Rig:
'91 Eric Clapton strat w/ MT-2 preamp and piezo bridge system

Lotus '62 Strat replica
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Pearly Gates Pups
Epiphone Sheraton STOCK
Epiphone Tom Delonge ES-333

Epiphone EJ-200CE

Traynor YCV40T
Traynor HEAD
Wow you guys just made him shoot himself!

The guy comes to tell you about his new gear which he paid his best money for and you just make him feel like he got screwed.
You dont tell someone who just bought a new amp that its the worst thing he could buy, thats just cruel.

I have no experience with peavey cabs and you might be right, but I just dont think anyone would like to get such comments on his new gear.
Would you guys think this is a better buy? I was gonna get it originally.

Randall RH100 G2 head, genz benz g-flex twin 12 cab. for $650.

-OR-

a 1991 peavey 5150 with original cab, same price^^
to be perfectly honest, i liked the sound coming out of it, but its not worth what im planning to pay for it..

I didnt even try the clean tone!
Quote by injected

now i was going to offer advice (again)

but no
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
now i was going to offer advice (again)

but no

Pretty please
Man don't listen to these guys. It's a GREAT EL34 amp for the price a bit muddy maybe but nothing a EQ couldn't fix.

It's a fine amp if you had a better cab
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
im either buying it with the cab or not buying it at all though..

and im buying a 6L6 100 watt version, not the EL34 120 watt ones.

I think im just gonna end up buying a used one. !
I'm not worried about the amp. I'm worried about people on the forum being brainwashed into thinking tube = God. So much thats it's not called an amplifier anymore, just a "tube". An amp is all it is, with any amp. A little off topic, but also people recommending small tube combos with overdrive pedals for bedroom metal players. What a load of bollocks.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jul 30, 2008,
The 6L6 version can have the tubes changed out to whatever you want look it up I think is it the windsor studio
?

EDIT: this is from the peavey marketing claim thingy

"Class A Power Amp can use various octal power tubes including EL34 (stock) 6L6GC 6550 6CA7 KT88 KT66 or any variation on these types?

so it might come with 6L6s but you can change em' to El34s 6CA7s KT66s whatever you want
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by Epiphany521
Wait, you own a Valveking?

IRUNEEEEE
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Wait, you own a Valveking?

IRUNEEEEE

lol ownd. And to the ts, I think this should be your choice about keeping the amp. The only suggestion i say is to return the cab...and get a 2x12. That would do wonders
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
The forum gets worse every day.
true.

sad, but true.

Quote by Epiphany521
horrible post.
either be specific about what's wrong with this choice or just don't post.
insults serve no one except your ego.

Quote by injected
join date discrimination is stupid.
the length of time a person has been a member of UG
has no direct relationship to the knowledge they possess.

it doesn't surprise me you've just turned away a possible reply
from a different UGer who might have given you an intelligent response.
learn from this mistake.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
join date discrimination is stupid.
the length of time a person has been a member of UG
has no direct relationship to the knowledge they possess.

it doesn't surprise me you've just turned away a possible reply
from a different UGer who might have given you an intelligent response.
learn from this mistake.

its more of the fact that his post was unhelpful in every way and he just wanted to say "lol that sux lol"
Get your money back and think about it more man seriously, try some things out and take in some opinions. You said you could get a 5150 half stack, that would be leaps and bounds ahead of anything else youve mentioned.
yeah, but its used and its the first generation(1991)

id probably try it out before hand anyways.

I just didn't know you guys thought the windsor was that bad.
Quote by injected
its more of the fact that his post was unhelpful in every way and he just wanted to say "lol that sux lol"
exactly. focus on that, not the join date, k?

On Topic: dunno much about Peavey Windsors. sorry i can't help.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by injected
yeah, but its used and its the first generation(1991)

id probably try it out before hand anyways.

I just didn't know you guys thought the windsor was that bad.

Makes no difference, i have a 5150 block letter version which destroys. Lots of metal bands have used 5150's and its great for evh type stuff aswell obviously. If you want a useable clean channel find a 5150II.

Check out youtube lots of videos to give you a good idea.
1. The Peavey Windsor, (although I don't like it) still has a decent O.D channel. The problem with it is that you could have got a used 5150/6505 for the same price, which is infinitley better.
Hm.. I see a Peavey Ultra Plus, with a B-52 AT412 cab for 700. I'll consider that too.. anybody have experience with it?
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
I'm not worried about the amp. I'm worried about people on the forum being brainwashed into thinking tube = God. So much thats it's not called an amplifier anymore, just a "tube". An amp is all it is, with any amp. A little off topic, but also people recommending small tube combos with overdrive pedals for bedroom metal players. What a load of bollocks.

Something I noticed about this site as well.

Anyway, to the TS, if you like the amp, buy it, don't let others tell you that it sucks. Contour is just a mid scoop knob, turning it up is just like scooping your mids, it will give the amp more bass response but just like scooping on any amp, it won't have the balls to cut through a live mix when its engaged.
I find that amp to be a good punk amp, but there are practically no cleans to be had. I'm sure you are now aware of that fact. If this what you want though, congrats. I would not get that amp personally, and like many have stated there are much more versatile amps to be had at that price. Better is subjective.
Why do you NEED a halfstack again? Believe me, i recently got one, 120w tube amps are completely unneccessary. You could get much better for 700. What kind of music do you play?
Page 1 of 2