I'm thinking about getting a (very) small tube amp so I can overdrive it without really pissing people off for practice and recording (mainly recording), which I can't with my 15W amp.

How loud are 5 watt amps? Because I've seen people saying they're actually still too loud to overdrive properly at low volumes, but I do live in an old house with very thick walls, and I'm not exactly planning to play in the middle of the night. If they are pretty loud, are there any good amps which are less than 5 watts? I've had a bit of a look, but haven't found anything.

For an example of the tone I'm looking for, think Neil Young, but quieter: vintage-y power tube overdrive. I do realise that I won't get exactly his tone with such a small speaker, but I don't want his exact tone, just something similar. Fender Champion 600s look quite good, and Neil Young plays an old fender, so I thought that might be a good bet, but I'd like some more suggestions on small (5 watts or less) vintage sounding tube amps.

My price range is £100-ish. I can save more, but I'd rather not spend too much more than that.

Thanks. Sorry if this is a bit of a garbled mess.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I'd like a combo, seeing as I don't have a cab or a need for one. Feel free to prove me wrong on that point if you have a really good suggestion.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by Ghold125
wait for the Black Heart Killer Ant

thats what I was gonna suggest

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Man I was just looking myself. I decided on the Fender Super Champ. Its 300$, had 2 6v6 tubes and 1 12ax7 pre amp. Has built in effects, this one it 15 watts, 2 channels. They have another the Vibro Champ, its the same thing just 5 watts, and I think you cant use a footswitch with the channels. This really seems to be the best bet.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075
dude i got a roland micro cube and im not sure how many watts it is but it still sounds good and you can put on classic rock dist., metal dist., brit combo, acoustic, and clean electric and another one. you can also put more gain to it if you want with any combo. a little bit of effects and its portable
Quote by Ghold125
wait for the Black Heart Killer Ant

+1
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by ricardando
dude i got a roland micro cube and im not sure how many watts it is but it still sounds good and you can put on classic rock dist., metal dist., brit combo, acoustic, and clean electric and another one. you can also put more gain to it if you want with any combo. a little bit of effects and its portable

not a tube amp, mate.

do as many wise men have stated and wait for the Killer Ant.
The Fender Champion 600 with it's 6" speaker is probably the quietest of the 5W amps. If that's the tone you're after and you're looking for lower volume, it's really a great choice.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Killer ant. I'm getting one the MINUTE they get delivered.
Providing I can get the cash, but they'll be in my local store in a matter of days!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
When is the Killer Ant supposed to be coming out anyway?

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
I just bought the Champion 600 a few days ago. I can't expect more from a small amp. What a sound!

For me, the only negative point is the speaker. It is a little too small and here is my question: If I want to put a bigger cabinet on it, wich kind of speaker will do the job? 10 inches? 12 inches? 30 watts, 10 watts? It says 4 ohms minimum.

Somebody can help me?

Sorry for my english, it is pretty bad!
The Champion 600 seems perfect. That'd be your best bet.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I would say Killer Ant. I heard a demo and boy, it sounded great!

Alternatively, I could see the Super ChampXD being alright, but it would still be loud.

Seriously wait for the KA, unless you're afraid having a 1w amp will do something to manhood/dignity.
Too bad the KA didn't come in a combo.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by slatsmania
The Fender Champion 600 with it's 6" speaker is probably the quietest of the 5W amps. If that's the tone you're after and you're looking for lower volume, it's really a great choice.

I got one, it's good stuff!