So recently I've been really interested in Flanger sounds, and I was curious what Flanger would suit my needs the best.

I'm looking for a flanger that can cop really sublte flang (like how Stef from Deftones uses Flang in their songs [there's some really sublte flang in Minvera and Bloody Cape, for example]), more of an airy, smooth whoosh (like in the A Perfect Circle song "Sleeping Beauty" and "Ain't Talking Bout Love" esque flang ) and then more of an apparent, in your face flang (basically your typical "Unchained" sound and Alex Lifeson's Flang sounds).

Sadly, i've looked into their various rigs (among others) and come up with the fact most of those guys use various rack effects to produce their effects live, and sadly spending 500 - 1500 on a rack piece just isn't in the budget now (unless i wind up in a heavy touring band that uses a TON of effects). So i'm interested in some pedals that will give me those various flang sounds.

So far I've looked at:

- MXR Flanger
- MXR EVH Flanger
- Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress
- Boss BF-3 Flanger

Would any of those work for the applications i intend to use it for? If anyone has any other suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by ryangethinwilli
what does a flanger actually do?

Sounds like an airplane taking off.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by ryangethinwilli
what does a flanger actually do?

Flanging is a time-based audio effect that occurs when two identical signals are mixed together, but with one signal time-delayed by a small and gradually changing amount, usually smaller than 20 milliseconds. This produces a swept comb filter effect: peaks and notches are produced in the resultant frequency spectrum, related to each other in a linear harmonic series. Varying the time delay causes these to sweep up and down the frequency spectrum.

Part of the output signal is usually fed back to the input (a 're-circulating delay line'), producing a resonance effect which further enhances the intensity of the peaks and troughs. The phase of the fed-back signal is sometimes inverted, producing another variation on the flanging sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanger
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
er...any more suggestions, outside of the digitech flanger (i'm not fond of digitech pedals)?
I wouldn't buy the EVH Flanger, the only thing the extra button does is to set the knobs to the exact settings of Unchained... And as for the paint job...well it's just a paint job... I don't really think it's worth the extra cash.
If you really want to know the exact setting for this, ask to test both out, take a picture of the EVH settings, and try to match it on the original one.

Greetings,

Mesa.