I have a Gibson SG Special 3 (the SG special model with 3 humbuckers), and i have an old Marshall Valvestate 40V Model 8040 and also a Digitech X series Metal Master pedal. I've only been playing for about 4-5 months, but I really want to get the tone from Hangar 18 by Megadeth and the tone from Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria. Is it possible to get either of these tones with what i currently have? and if not, would i be able to get them from one of the mid range Line 6 amps ($400-$600)? I am considering getting one of those because of their versatility, but i would really like some advice here.
your Marshall Valve state should be pretty good, and as you said you have only been playing for a few months, so worry more about playing then your tone. There is also an ultimate settings thread check that out. Also what line 6 amps were you looking at?
i was looking at something like a Line 6 Spider Jam 75W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp, something with a bunch of effects that i can mess around with, as well as a large 12 inch speaker to compliment the darker tone my SG gives... but again, im not really sure. I am trying to focus on my playing, but its always alot more fun when you can rock to a song you really love and actually have it sound similar. (like i've been doing with Stricken by Disturbed)... so yeah. any ideas about those tones? the overdrive setting on my marshall doesn't have an EQ for midrange so i'm kinda stuck not really knowing what to do
You might want an eq pedal, or if you want a new amp, look at the line 6 flextone. It beats the spider in every way.