Whenever I do 3 string sweeps the g string rings out after my finger leaves the string. Can anyone give me some advice on how to stop this?
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Slow right down, and practise with distortion, as that'll highlight your mistakes.
people say practicing at 40 bpm is too slow
It is NEVER too slow!! Start there seriously, and when you can do it cleanly, right down to the millisecond
Move up
Quote by blue_strat
Slow right down, and practise with distortion, as that'll highlight your mistakes.

distortion masks mistakes
Quote by Sound Mind
distortion masks mistakes

Wrong.

You need to practice with both clean and distortion. The clean side will let you hear your dead notes more easily. The distorted side will let you know if you're muting properly or not.
Back to TS's question, I used to have the same problem. I found that muting the 3rd string with just a bit of my palm made everything perfectly clear. As with alternate picking, the thicker the string is, the more you have to mute it.

By the way, Avedas is right. Practicing sweeping both clean and distorted is the way to go.
Quote by Avedas
Wrong.

You need to practice with both clean and distortion. The clean side will let you hear your dead notes more easily. The distorted side will let you know if you're muting properly or not.

I agree actually. You should practice with a fairly clean tone most of the time. The biggest technical problem is coordination between the left and right hands, and distortion does mask problems here- distortion generally masks problems with articulation because of the compression.

But distortion does make it very clear that you are letting more than one note at a time ring, and that is important for sweep techniques.

Anyway, the answer to the original question is practice. It's not easy at first. Give it a few months. But I remember this problem and I bet you are too aggressively pulling your finger off the string. Instead of pulling the finger off the string just relax it so that you are no longer holding the string down- your finger should probably still be touching the string after the note stops sounding. This is really important in general for good technique.