I'm trying to buy a new amp and the person i'm buying it from says that it has a bad 60hz hum. I think that it could possibly be the fact that his strat's single coils are making the hum. Do you guys know of a cheap fix, or is this a lost cause?
An EQ with a decent number of bands?

Isn't 60Hz going to be some kind of subfrequency?

I was of the understanding that guitars start at 83.

Oh yeah, and once I dropped my first amp and the reverb started making low end hum.
yes, i believe that the 60 cycle hum is strat single coil specific but it could be all single coils.

idk

i don't have any hum on my SCs. Can you play your guitar on his amp? Also search on 60hz or cycle hum as I bet you will find a lot of threads talking about it.
If hes running single coils and your running humbuckers then you wont hear the hum. Its a single coil thing.
If the hum comes from the amp and not the guitar it's the filters (caps) gone bad in the power supply section of the amp.
if the noise really bothers you, you could shield your guitar or buy a noisegate
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
if he says that his amp hums, dont think that it'll stop if you use humbuckers.

it'll be something you;ll want to fix i'm sure.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
maybe i'm worrying for nothing, but when buying on line. people hate disclosing problems.

so, imo, if a guy says an amp hums. i would take it for fact, it's going to hum when it gets to the house.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

From the TS post I am gathering the guy who owns the amp currently has a strat with single coils and says the amp hums bad. A well shielded strat wont hum to bad but one with no shielding sitting next to a computer monitor will hum pretty bad. And bad hum is subjective some want total elimination of all hum, buzz etc. Most of us can live with a little. My 2 well shielded guitars with single coils hum a little if you arent playing anything and listening for it but is unnoticable when playing. So you may want more details on the "bad hum". Bad house wiring, computers, tvs, fridges, ac units, even some kinds of lights can all create noise on a guitar amp.
yeah, my thought was more that it seems like the guy selling it is mentioning a hum.
and if he thought his guitars were to blame, he wouldnt throw that in the listing and bring down his asking price.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah you are right. He said that his connection is earth grounded, but since he is selling it on the web i assume he's got other electronic devices sitting around close. The guy is selling it for a friend so he's obviously got no clue. I'm gonna go for it bcuz it's looks like a sick amp. exactly what i'm lookin for
If it has 60hz hum just unplug the guitar to see if it is the guitar or the amp. There is a simple fix for "strat" style 50/60hz hum (i live in Oz & here our mains are 50Hz not 60Hz) the fix is to cover the inside of the pickguard with aluminum foil. I used heavy grade professional kitchen stuff. Just got to make sure all the pots & output jack + pups have a good connection with it so they are all earthed together. I used contact cement to stick it on. I've done this on MIM's MIA's & strat clones with very good results.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
well guys i bought the amp off ebay. It's a vibroverb reissue. I've been waiting around for one forever. I couldn't decide i liked the vv tone but wanted a super reverb. Well a guy modded his, put in reissue oxford speakers. Normally the vv's come with 1 15 speaker, this guy had a cab built custom had it handwired and put in 4 10's!! i picked it up for 579 w/ shipping. It was too tempting to pass up, ya know? I'll let you guys know about the hum later.