Page 1 of 3
All right! There are always people questioning about who the "top player of the time" is. Lets put it to an Ultimate Guitar vote! Lets determine who the most influential, or best, bass player of our current time is.

Due to the nature of any instrument, the older players that pioneered the style of playing will not be included, because where would modern bass players be without them?!

We are looking for players who are now, who are current, and who are making a hit on modern bass playing.

Post names here and after we have a good list set I will open a poll thread.

0) Pete Wentz... This is just so obvious that it does not even need to be considered to go onto the real poll when it is made.

Death.Prog makes a fairly relevant point. When we get the final 20 names down they will be split into two groups. One group will be the "older" or in the case of Burton, dead, bass players. The other will be the more upfront players, Flea for example. I will try and make the two polls as balance as possible. Then the top 5 from both of those polls will be put into a poll. From that we may do a final top 5 poll depending on the results of the final 10.

1) Steve Harris
2) Flea
3) Geddy Lee
4) Ryan Martinie
5) Cliff Burton
6) Les Claypool
7) Chris Wolstenholme
8) Stu Hamm
9) John Myung
10) Tim Commerford
11) Justin Chancellor
12) Billy Sheehan
13) Matt Freeman
14) Al Cisneros
15) Stuart Zender
16) Victor Wooten
17) Dirk Lance
18) Carlos Dengler
Last edited by TormentedRx at Aug 1, 2008,
Steve Harris influenced many, many metal bassists and he's still touring and creating music to this day. He definitely gets my vote; even his new stuff is very well-written.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Look, everybody here is going to say their own personal favourites; I myself would like to throw out John Myung because he influenced me, but I won't, because he hasn't influenced a large number of people.

I would have to say either Flea or Geddy Lee, because they're sort of the "iconic" bass players who are recognized by a majority of people.
I <3 Companion Cube
I believe Mudvaynes bassist-Ryan Martinie is the best bassist. i mean, his style is incredible...
i still say cliff burton is the best he perfected the bass solo in the 11 short years of playing bass. so my kudos goes to cliff. tho harris is one hell of a bassist too wish i could get my fingers to go as fast as his
I like Michael Manring, but seriously, he would not be as widespread as Jaco was, he's been here since the early 90's and he's the only one who uses all those crazy tunings.

but now Chris Wostleholme is the bassist I would throw forward. how many 'Muse tones' threads do we get here? who is mainstream, but can still do interesting basslines like Hysteria along with just holding down the lows with root note throbs like Starlight?I think he will be extremely influential on the next generation of bass players, hopefully including myself.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
These things never work out... No matter what the choice is, there are people who aren't satisfied.

Edit: What the hell, I'm just gonna say John Myung.
Last edited by ele1122 at Jul 30, 2008,
Pete Wentz

Oh no he didn't....

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Last edited by Jonnomainman at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by Jonnomainman
Pete Wentz

Oh no he didn't....

and now the thread is gone.

ignore this. please.

*begs*
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
and now the thread is gone.

ignore this. please.

*begs*
This thread was over before it started.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
This thread is pointless without a poll
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Necrotic
I believe Mudvaynes bassist-Ryan Martinie is the best bassist. i mean, his style is incredible...

This.

or Chris Wolstenholme.

I think Martinie has the best style, but Wolstenholme will probably be more influential.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I guess I could volunteer the names of whatever-he's-called from OM/Sleep and JFK from DFA79 or Stuart Zender

or I could be cynical and suggest the left hands of Daft Punk, Air et al
It's hard to say really
Steve Harris:

Awesome front man, which isn't often seen, and has the gallop down to a fine art.

Cliff Burton:

King of the metal bassists, lays down awesome underlying melodies which fitted the fast Metallica style perfectly.

Chris Wolstenholme:

Can fill up space to create an epic 3 man performance, but makes it sound good instead of just filling up space.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
No love for Tim Commerford? He just might get my vote. Flea is close for influence and Les Claypool for originality though.

EDIT: Forgot about Justin Chancellor. He has my vote over any other bassist.
Last edited by __Ronnie__ at Jul 31, 2008,
I'm gonna throw out some not to well known, but amazing bassists:
Tony Choy
Sean Malone
Roger Patterson and
Stephan Fimmers
I like how people are suggesting "modern bass players" whose prime cuts of material that they're renowned and respected for was recorded twenty or more years ago.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
I like how people are suggesting "modern bass players" whose prime cuts of material that they're renowned and respected for was recorded twenty or more years ago.

That's because most of the Modern stuff is root notes, you have to dig deep for the really good stuff. Since it's not well known, it's not that influential.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
That's because most of the Modern stuff is root notes, you have to dig deep for the really good stuff. Since it's not well known, it's not that influential.

You barely have to scrape at the surface to find good bassists and basslines. They're everywhere.
I'm glad no one has mentioned dream theaters bassist. I don't see how people can like his muddy tone.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I'm glad no one has mentioned dream theaters bassist. I don't see how people can like his muddy tone.

you just got Deliripwnt. sorry, it happens to the best of us.

First instinc would have me agree with Hippie Bass, but those bass players are hardly known at all.

Claypool would get my vote, he has an upfront bass sound, its highly good taste (yes thats an opinion) and you can still get Primus cuts from some modern rock radios.

Though Justin Chancellor should be dully noted as well...
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass

Though Justin Chancellor should be dully noted as well...

Yeah, requisite Chancellor namedrop here too.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Tim Commerford would get my vote. Although he is not the best player by technical skill, but as far as influences go he is the reason I started playing bass.
Quote by TormentedRx

1) Steve Harris
2) Flea
3) Geddy Lee
4) Ryan Martinie
5) Cliff Burton
6) Les Claypool
7) Chris Wolstenholme
8) Stu Hamm
9) John Myung
10) Tim Commerford
11) Justin Chancellor

Half of these players aren't modern(exagerrating), I know Geddy Lee has put out Snakes and Arrows with Rush, but the stuff that actually inspired many was done in the 70s-80s. His S&A lines weren't that inspiring. I don't believe he should be considered modern, nothing from that album made people go WOW LOOK AT THAT GUY.

Steve Harris...he's another one from the 80s. Inspired a lot of todays bassists, but once again, he's somewhat out of his best lines by now(At least from what I've heard out of the albums, pretty much all but the last one or two).

Cliff Burton...

Quote by TormentedRx
We are looking for players who are now, who are current, and who are making a hit on modern bass playing.

Died in '86 didn't he? This makes me question the point of the thread...Is it the most influental bassists, or the best modern ones? Because if its the latter of the two, he doesn't belong in the above mentioned. Music has moved into a new era, his stuff is no longer modern.

Les Claypool had his time with Primus, but he went on the Fancy tour with his Fancy Band not while back and made some pretty cool songs like Up on the Roof again. He's still making masterpieces as far as implementation of the bass goes.

But...I'll have to go with...

John Myung. Sure DT came out in 86. But he's made a lot of masterpieces within the past 10 years. MII:SFaM(Dance of Eternity, Home), SDoIT(The Glass Prison, The Test that Stumped them all), Train of Thought(In the Name of God), Octavarium, and Systematic Chaos(Constant Motion, The Dark Eternal Night) are all great albums with the bass implemented. He had his times back in the day, such as "Ytse Jam" for example, but he's having a lot more now, and I'm sure a lot more to come.

Quote by CLIFF_BURTON

I thought there might have been a glimmer of intelligence behind this bash, but...

The name said it all.
Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.
Juan Alderete of The Mars Volta, Big Sir and Racer X. My biggest influence.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by ChemicalFire

Nah, the percentages haven't really changed since the 60s.
95% crappy music
5% awesome music

The only reason we see more good stuff from the 60s is because it stood the test of time. And the reason we see more crappy stuff today is because the industry is shoving it in our faces.

Oh, and by the way, my vote goes to Geddy Lee as most influential. Rush is the musician's band and they reached ALOT of musicians.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Last edited by KKING911 at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by ChemicalFire
Chris Wolstenholme:

Can fill up space to create an epic 3 man performance, but makes it sound good instead of just filling up space.

Its actually a 4 man performance, there's Morgan Nichols playing the synths on the albums and he plays them live (there is the trumpet player, Dan, too. But I wouldn't count him as a member as he only plays on a few songs).

I agree on Wolstenholme, he can lay back in the mix and support the band, and he knows when to break through the mix with basslines like Hysteria and Time is Running Out.

A bit off topic but, is it just me or does anyone else think that Chris should have stuck with his Pedullas?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Page 1 of 3