Hey guys Im just starting out writing and I was wondering what some experienced writers would have to say to some of these questions. All these questions are just preferences.

1. Where do you prefer to write?

2. Do you write a song in one sitting or do you write it in separate sittings? This does not include revising as (I believe) that it is essential to come back to a piece of writing later to revise it.

3. Do you type or of write everything out by hand?

Just interested in what you guys prefer.
1 - at home when im on my own so i dont feel bad about singing loudly lol

2 - One sitting, then yeh i go back n revise

3 - by hand, with a notepad and my acoustic nearby.
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by bigtimmy

+1
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by bigtimmy

I like your theory my good man i do pretty much the same thing
1. At a desk with a computer.
2.I go for 20 minutes, and they are generally done. Sometimes I come back and add verses. Sometimes things sit for a while till they find a home.
3.Type, I like clean, and erasing is messy.
Quote by Flow of soul
Hey guys Im just starting out writing and I was wondering what some experienced writers would have to say to some of these questions. All these questions are just preferences.

Wherever the idea strikes me

2. Do you write a song in one sitting or do you write it in separate sittings? This does not include revising as (I believe) that it is essential to come back to a piece of writing later to revise it.
I generally jot down any thoughts I have, then come back to them in the future, expand, and revise the third time I look at them

I mostly type now, but I prefer writing by hand if I have something nearby to use for it.

Just interested in what you guys prefer.

Thats it.
1: At home. Laying in bed.

2: Usually one sitting, though I try not to force anything. If I can't move on, I wonder around until my boredom trips over something worthwhile.

3: Pen and paper. I scribble out lines alot. It's good to have all that white space if you want to skip ahead in time for a completely seperate idea, or just jot down notes.
1: At home, in my desk or during classes and rarely in my bed (this one is usually after I lay down to sleep and then an idea crashes me)

2: One sitting. I hate changing things in my pieces. Rarely I write poems and then turn them into songs, this is the hardest thing for me.

3: When I'm sitting in my desk I write on word, but at classroom I write on the last pages of the pad of the class I'm having. When I wake up to write, I write it on A4 white paper (the one used to print) with a black, purple or red pen.
1. In my room, or in my studio.
2. I usally write in a couple sittings.
3. I write everything out.
1) I don't have a set place for writing, I'm always coming up with little phrases etc. wherever I go...however sometimes for inspiration I like to sit on my balcony in the middle of the night, and watch the city lights. But mostly in my room, on my couch.

2) It really depends on the song. Sometimes I'll start out with something and it'll just start sort of building itself, other times I'll only have a line I came up with while walking around the mall, I'll write that down, a few days later I'll complete a verse, then later on I'll add a chorus...etc.

3) Usually I either keep them in my head or type them out. Occasionally I will write them down but mostly it's a bunch of notepad files on my computer
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

1-anywhere, in class, at home, on a train, drunk in a gutter

2-i try to get it out in one sitting, most of my better songs where done that way, and most the time if i dont do it in one sitting i end up moving on to the next song idea (i got about 200 half written songs just laying round)

3-usaly write it out (take a folder/excercise book wher ever i go) or if theres no paper i type it up on my phone
1. Hmm, about midnight with my laptop. Its good except sometimes you're so jaded stuff sounds like ****e.
2. Yeah, one sitting. It sounds more collected that way.
3. My laptop.
Quote by Ponyexpress
Grammar Nazis scare the living crap out of me mainly because I'm half Jewish

MY SONGS:
[thread="985311"]A Love/Hate Relationship[/thread]
[thread="985301"](All) I Can See[/thread]
[thread="983897"]My Heart is a Hand Grenade[/thread]
1) i usually pen things down near my computer, or on my bed

2)no more than 3 settings, if it takes more than that, its usually not happening and your pushing it

3)most of the time i have a notepad and a pen,
sometimes i use Guitar Pro, but that takes more time
1. in my bed at like 3am..my best stuff has be wrote really late at night/early morning

2. all in one go, if i dont write it in one, i lose the feelinging and i cant pick up where i left off,

3. kinda a mix of both, it depends whats handy at the time
i design CD covers and Band Logos.
see my website for requests and exsamples of my work
Miss Morphine Designs
1. Home. My lovely big bed or the attic.

2. Usually one sitting. I find it hard to carry on with an idea after I've stopped it.

3. Either. Usually on the computer but I prefer writing by hand.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Acoustic songs I will do completely by myself at home.
Band songs I tend to come up with riffs/chords at home and maybe add a few lyrics then work on them to finish them with the band. Most band practices myself and our drummer just jam some stuff and if a decent rhythm/melody comes out I'll take that home and work on it.

Both.
Admittedly most of the time I'll get the intro and main verse section done, sometimes a pre-chorus/bridge and then come back to work on it more later.

3. Do you type or write everything out by hand?
Write by hand.
Once the song is in a more-or-less complete form I'll transfer it to my PC and tab it out to print off an official version.
I usually use this when we've done a recording to do the old "recorded-delivery-to-myself semi-copyright" thing.

In bed mostly. Anywhere the inspiration hits and I can get it out though. Most of the people I know have guitars at their place so I tend to be writing at friends houses as well. And music, in my room. Acoustic songs I write completely by myself (chords and then sort out everything else later) and band songs the same. I write all the instruments for my bands (Perfectionist Control Freak Multi-Instrumentalists ftw ) I tend to write a riff/chord progression and then record it and work out a riff or solo, countermelodies etc. The same with vocals, I tend to write everything, melody, countermelody, harmony. All in my room, all in less than day.

A song is never finished. However, I tend to write lyrics in one sitting (20ish minutes) and then a few days later once the lyrics have matured to me and I'm not completely against them I come back and write music. Normally from an idea I've had for a while, a riff that suits the lyrics. When I'm writing that I'll change the lyrics to suit the melody or vice versa. The melody is always made up relevant to the lyrics though, I try not to come in a preconceived notion of melody unless I have one that I think completely suits the lyrics.

Computer, my laptop is with me 90% of the time. However, if it's not, I'll write by hand. I prefer computer though, it's cleaner and I have a hard copy for copywright purposes (I save everything to disc every 6 months or so). But some of my favourite songs that i've written have been written on paper

However, even with all those things said. Sometimes it's breaking that mold that makes for the best songs.

I wrote "The Canvas" one of my favourite songs ever (about a friend of mine with Cancer) while in Geography class in highschool while sitting next to my girlfriend (of the time) after having a massive fight.

I normally like to be alone when I write, I'm not so self-conscious then and I'm enough of a perfectionist already without worrying about that as well.

I always go back and change my lyrics, but it's never on purpose. I tend to re-read my lyrics every few weeks or so and then at the end of each term I re-read all of them. (I save my lyrics dependant on the school term I wrote them in, I teach guitar so even though I'm not at school anymore, the school term still pretty much defines my life.) And when I'm re-reading them I tend to change certain lines, or discard the songs completely as useless.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Last edited by Auals at Aug 22, 2008,
1. I'll write anywhere where I have an idea, of late, that normally includes at home. I do however, get ideas all over the place so I keep my book with me everywhere I go.

2. I like and try to write everything in one sitting, it's hard for me to come back and write everything in a couple of days when the idea escapes my head. The last thing I wrote, I still haven't finished though, so it depends, I guess.

3. I like to write it out on my notebook I have for lyrics.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
1. I write anywhere I can find a piece of paper or a computer. Thats why I try to keep a recorder handy

2.I seem usually to bang out ideas in one sitting.

3.See above... It does not matter what I write on as long as the idea is recorded. I actually have never once used an acoustic to write a song becuase I'm not one of those, chord progression guys, more a of a riff/lyric-based writer.

I dislike writing in public. People always want to read what you're writing or whatever. I write in my study at home, and very rarely in my room.

It depends on what sort of piece it is. Some pieces require a bit of research, or more depth of thought. The poem I finished last night took me a bit of Friday, and a couple of hours on Saturday and Sunday. Mainly because I was using references from Greek mythology, Japanese folk tales, etc.
If it's a personal piece, obviously you know everything you need to about the subject matter, so I can do that in one sitting most times.

I write one-liners by hand. I type poems and songs. I have awful handwriting, and I'm extremely disheartened when I have to scribble out page after page.

So yeah.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.