Page 1 of 2
i am looking for a good bass amp that is loud and is 100-300$ i am also looking to get a good bass between 100-300$... and i want to get a good distortion pedal that would work for well for guitar and bass. any suggestions??
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by smb
Have you read this?

What kind of sound are you after? Try some Ibanez/Squier/Yamaha.

I think what he's looking for is better than the amps listed there. That thread is for beginners.

Quote by tbirds1013
and i want to get a good distortion pedal that would work for well for guitar and bass.

My Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive works great on my electric guitar, and even better for bass. I've tried my guitarists pedals but they just don't cut it for bass.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I think what he's looking for is better than the amps listed there. That thread is for beginners.
Sure, but I'm more thinking of basses at this minute. And who says he's not a beginner?

I'm not one to say "you need this bass and that amp" but I prefer to make a couple of suggestions, see how the guy reacts, find out what he wants to play and what he wants to sound like and help him make up his own mind rather than be told what to think.
i am a beginner... this will be my first bass... i want heavy distortion.. and i was looking at the ibanez grs200 does anyone know if that is active or passive?? and i heard peavey makes good amps... i wont normally be playing with drums thanks for your help and any suggestion is helpful, but dont suggest any squiers... i have a squier guitar and i hate it

never buy a squier!
i want to spend around 600$ for a bass, amp, and distortion pedal. i want to spend more on the amp then on the bass because i know im going to want to upgrade to a better bass in the next year or 2 if i keep playing and if i get a good amp i wont have to buy a new one... i want a sound like a7x, sevendust, seether.... and other heavy metal like godsmack

never buy a squier!
Last edited by tbirds1013 at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by tbirds1013
i am a beginner... this will be my first bass... i want heavy distortion.. and i was looking at the ibanez grs200 does anyone know if that is active or passive?? and i heard peavey makes good amps... i wont normally be playing with drums thanks for your help and any suggestion is helpful, but dont suggest any squiers... i have a squier guitar and i hate it

Just me, that's not what bass is for, you do distort basses, but not heavily, that isn't what they are for. If you want a good distortion pedal, I'd check out the Ashdown Hyperdrive, an mp3 demo of it is on my profile.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
well, you could get a peavy.... i think its millenium (not 100% sure though) which seems to be a good bass from what ive heard. as for amps, you dont need a whole lot of volume, so something like a laney rb1 or a warwick amp. as for distortion/fuzz/overdrive, the boss odb-3 is good quality, however theres also the ehx muff wich can be modded to give a better bass response, although digitech make a very versitile bass driver.
Quote by tbirds1013
but dont suggest any squiers... i have a squier guitar and i hate it

The Squier basses are far superior the guitars, I'm assuming you have a strat, becasue I have only heard bad things about them. Take a look at the Vintage Modifed and Classic Vibe series, they've been said to top Mexican Fenders. As far as Ibanez goes the GSR200 or SR300 would be safe bets.
I use my Ibanez gsr 200 for avenged sevenfold and other metal - Killswitch engage, seether, soad ect, and its does the job well. For an amp, i don't think you'll get a giging amp with your budget.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
For basses and amp, head to the FAQ. And you will still need to upgrade your amp first, as no $300 amp will be that great, tone or power wise.

I would recommend you skip on distortion while you begin, as it is likely to distract from your playing greatly. Distortion tends to cover up sloppy playing with an 'insane' sound, which makes you sound like a mess when you play with others.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1

never buy a squier!
i am looking for a bass amp with between 75-200 watts in the 300-400$ price range

never buy a squier!
No, Line6 amps have terrible effects. I know, I've got the big brother of that particular amp.

Take a look in the FAQ for a list of good starter bass amps.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
The Squier basses are far superior the guitars, I'm assuming you have a strat, becasue I have only heard bad things about them. Take a look at the Vintage Modifed and Classic Vibe series, they've been said to top Mexican Fenders.

This, because its true, VM's and CV's are brilliant and usually better that MIMs
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
all of the amps in the faq have like 20 watts and 8 in speakerss... i want something like 75-200 watts with good effects any suggestions??

never buy a squier!
Quote by tbirds1013
all of the amps in the faq have like 20 watts and 8 in speakerss... i want something like 75-200 watts with good effects any suggestions??

No such thing. There is no amp with good built in effects. The only good effects are seperate effects to be honest.

Why do you want 75-200W if you're just starting out?

Regardless, can you give us an idea of what speakers you want in it? 10", or 15"?
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 sounds perfect for you - great little amp. Check out the Laney Richter series - good bang for buck.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Quote by Stan_da_man
Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 sounds perfect for you - great little amp. Check out the Laney Richter series - good bang for buck.

Apart from the fact Line 6 amps sound horrible in general. The effects are average, and the normal tone is awful.

You may also notice that the only bass amps with effects are Line 6 and a couple of other awful gimmicy amps. Not one amp worth the price tag has them. Effects distract from bass playing, as you just learn to make funny noises. You have to leanr to play normally before you experiment with effect. Tom Morello used to be your classic 80's shreder before he starter his signature style. Picasso could paint normally very well before he made his style.

Really, $300 will not get a you an amp that can compete with a drummer. £300 barely will.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
You could give Ashdown a try. The Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 is pretty close to your price range and it has the wattage you are looking for also. On M.F. it runs for $380 so you could save for a little longer to make up for the little bit of extra.
If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.
-- Frank Zappa, The Real Frank Zappa Book
Quote by gm jack
Apart from the fact Line 6 amps sound horrible in general. The effects are average, and the normal tone is awful.

You may also notice that the only bass amps with effects are Line 6 and a couple of other awful gimmicy amps. Not one amp worth the price tag has them. Effects distract from bass playing, as you just learn to make funny noises. You have to leanr to play normally before you experiment with effect. Tom Morello used to be your classic 80's shreder before he starter his signature style. Picasso could paint normally very well before he made his style.

Really, $300 will not get a you an amp that can compete with a drummer. £300 barely will.

Have you tried the Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110? I can guarantee you have not because whilst Line 6 guitar amps (mainly Spider) may be bad, their bass amps are certainly not. The Studio 110 is a great little amp and I would fully recommend it. Just because you have beef with me in another thread dosen't mean you have to drag it over to another one.
Quote by Stan_da_man
Have you tried the Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110? I can guarantee you have not because whilst Line 6 guitar amps (mainly Spider) may be bad, their bass amps are certainly not. The Studio 110 is a great little amp and I would fully recommend it. Just because you have beef with me in another thread dosen't mean you have to drag it over to another one.

Honeslty, I don't read names. I just look at avatars. I never noticed.

I have tried it, as it is one of 4 brands of bass amp my most local shop stocks (Fender, Warwick, Ashdown and Line 6).

The Fender were the 15W deals from the packs, so I never tried them. the line 6 just didn't stand up to the equivelent Warwicks or Ashdowns, and I would never buy an Ashdown in my life.

The amp just didn't feel as solid as the Warwick or Ashdown, and it felt gimmicky and plastic. As soon as I stopped playing with the effects, I realised the Line 6 had no appeal whatsoever.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Why am I arguing with you? I can't win. You'll say go for a Warwick amp each time, even if they don't sound as good as the Studio 110 I played...
i played the 300 watt version of the line 6 lowdown 110 it sounded really good... i am probably going to get that... does anyone else have suggestions about and amp like the line 6 if so post it

never buy a squier!
could you get a good bass tone out of a 10' speaker??? and i like playing sevendust, a7x, seether, and other stuff like that... and i dont know what size speaker i want.

never buy a squier!
Quote by tbirds1013
i played the 300 watt version of the line 6 lowdown 110 it sounded really good... i am probably going to get that... does anyone else have suggestions about and amp like the line 6 if so post it

I've got that.

One of the worst amps I've ever used. Seriously, seriously bad.

Well, it's good for a rubbish, bland, muddy tone.

And it sounds alright with my Yamaha. But everything else - ****.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

The Studio 110 is different from the normal Lowdown amps IMO.

For your first bass, an Ibanez SR300 would be perfect for you - very good basses for starting on and they are gig worthy. If you insist on a pedal for overdrive, don't buy a ODB-3 - get a Big Muff Pi.

The Studio 110 gives 75w RMS through a 1x10 speaker - that will be plenty loud enough for a beginner.

So to sum up:
Bass - Ibanez SR300
Amp - Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110
Pedal - Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by Stan_da_man

If you insist on a pedal for overdrive, don't buy a ODB-3 - get a Big Muff Pi.

So don't get a Bass distortion, get one made for guitar, and get a Line 6 amp...

...because that's good advice.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You don't realise the Studio 110 is not a Spider guitar amp...it's a very good bass amp, which I'm guessing you haven't tried.

Just because it's "made" for bass dosen't make it good. The ODB-3 is not good. The Big Muff works for guitar and bass and let's face it, would you call Cliff Burton's tone awful? Exactly.
Quote by Stan_da_man

Just because it's "made" for bass dosen't make it good. The ODB-3 is not good. The Big Muff works for guitar and bass and let's face it, would you call Cliff Burton's tone awful? Exactly.

I know, I have a Muff, but the sound pales in comparison to my Ashdown HyperDrive

Quote by DisarmGoliath
But a Muff is a fuzz and the Hyperdrive is an overdrive - fuzz and overdrive are completely different!
Quote by Stan_da_man
But a Muff is a fuzz and the Hyperdrive is an overdrive - fuzz and overdrive are completely different!

So why offer a Muff as an Alternative to the ODB3, as the ODB3 is a overdrive.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
So why compare them in the first place then?!

The Muff is THE definative distortion pedal for bass - I use distortion as covering all overdrive/dist./fuzz pedals.
Quote by Stan_da_man
The Big Muff works for guitar and bass and let's face it, would you call Cliff Burton's tone awful?

Yes. Oh, sweet god, yes. All he did was a step in the right direction towards more aggressive bass sounds.

The ODB-3 is certainly not an overdrive. It is a distortion, which is easily pushed to get some pretty fuzz like sounds (though not a true fuzz).

If EHX feel the need to release a bass specific Muff (no matter how much it sounds horrible), you know the normal muffs don't cut it for bass. the low end cut is more than slight (you will drop out the mix if you engage it in a band situation), and it quite frankly as such a poor range of tones availible without cutting the low mids as well as the lows, that you have 1 Big Muff sound.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Aug 7, 2008,
Quote by tbirds1013

Its passive but its a great bass, I have the 5-string version and I love it. Peavy does make good amps I'm not sure how the lower end ones sound but the mid-level ones are good.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by Stan_da_man
So you would call this awful then?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KpxOmksHrY

Do you notice something?

He's lost in the mix when the guitars come in.

In fact, if he wasn't playing up near the 22nd and 24th fret, you wouldn't be able to hear him at all.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Page 1 of 2