Does bass guitar quality differ between the country that the guitar is made in? My friend says American made have the best quality, but I'm not sure if he's biased or anything.

Input, please.
Quote by ele1122
Bass quality differs no differently than guitar quality.

wait, what? You are saying that a brand has the same quality guitars as it does basses? If you are, lets just say Epiphone.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quality depends on the people making it more than the country it's made in.

Alright....that means...?
Quote by Royal Celebi
Alright....that means...?

I'm sorry, but what delerium said makes perfect sense. If an unskilled worker made a guitar in america and a skilled worker made one in china, whose would be better?
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I think he was referring to brand, but I'm not sure.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by Your41Plague12
I'm sorry, but what delerium said makes perfect sense. If an unskilled worker made a guitar in america and a skilled worker made one in china, whose would be better?

Alright, that made more sense.

So how would I make sure a guitar's quality is actually good if I was ordering online or something? I can't physically play it unless there was a place close by that sold the bass I was looking for...
Quote by srvflood
I think he was referring to brand, but I'm not sure.

Ok, in that case, usually American and European basses are the highest quality.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Royal Celebi
Alright, that made more sense.

So how would I make sure a guitar's quality is actually good if I was ordering online or something? I can't physically play it unless there was a place close by that sold the bass I was looking for...

You won't know. There's reputation, but there's always bad eggs even with the biggest companies.

EDIT: And buying without trying should be a cardinal sin IMO.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jul 30, 2008,
let's elaborate on Del's point.

if I ama master luthier, does it matter if I'm in Mexico while I make my basses? no. I still use the same woods, the same parts, the same time (probably more time really, I know very little Spanish ) but the only difference is the name. America is where most of the custom shops and famous companies are based. therefore, when people think of a custom American instrument, they imagine a 24 fret active j-bass made of bubinga and koa with a purpleheart stripe in the neck and a big red dragon painted on it.

when they think of a custom Japanese instrument, they think of some kid sticking a warmoth neck and an eb-0 pickup on his Squier p-bass.

so basically, American is but a name. you can get a good custom bass from any country.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You won't know. There's reputation, but there's always bad eggs even with the biggest companies.

EDIT: And buying without trying should be a cardinal sin IMO.

Alright. Thanks a lot.

Quote by the humanity

let's elaborate on Del's point.

if I ama master luthier, does it matter if I'm in Mexico while I make my basses? no. I still use the same woods, the same parts, the same time (probably more time really, I know very little Spanish ) but the only difference is the name. America is where most of the custom shops and famous companies are based. therefore, when people think of a custom American instrument, they imagine a 24 fret active j-bass made of bubinga and koa with a purpleheart stripe in the neck and a big red dragon painted on it.

when they think of a custom Japanese instrument, they think of some kid sticking a warmoth neck and an eb-0 pickup on his Squier p-bass.

so basically, American is but a name. you can get a good custom bass from any country.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.
My Indonesian-made Ibanez is perfectly fine. IMO, better than most American made Fenders I've played.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
well lets be subjective here
the answer you are looking for is this

china = poor quality controls, so try before you buy is mandatory
india = awesome quality control for the price, usually this basses are great IMO, some of the best basses i tried are made here
mexico = solid quality, nothing to great or fancy
korea = great basses, usually go around 400$
america = top quality controls, they have like some kind of guaranty
japan = top quality, usually some models are only avaliable in japan itself

disclamier: this is not intended to be racist but usually things are like that, and this doesnt mean every bass made in china, no matter who made it is going to be bad, but with big brands these rule seems to work in most cases

also try before buy, you could end up with a great bass made in mars
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by JobyByTheNight
wait, what? You are saying that a brand has the same quality guitars as it does basses? If you are, lets just say Epiphone.

epiphones makes quality basses, but the desing is just not for everyone(i hate those basses designs)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
well lets be subjective here
the answer you are looking for is this

china = poor quality controls, so try before you buy is mandatory
india = awesome quality control for the price, usually this basses are great IMO, some of the best basses i tried are made here
mexico = solid quality, nothing to great or fancy
korea = great basses, usually go around 400$
japan = top quality, usually some models are only avaliable in japan itself

disclamier: this is not intended to be racist but usually things are like that, and this doesnt mean every bass made in china, no matter who made it is going to be bad, but with big brands these rule seems to work in most cases

also try before buy, you could end up with a great bass made in mars

You forgot Germany and the rest of Europe. A lot of fantastic luthiers live and work in Europe.

An example for Germany - Warwick.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by litus

false.
Isn't Wishbass American?
well, North Carolinian. the South is it's own country almost.
and quality control at Gibson is terrible, they cut so many corners I'm surprised they haven't shortened it to les pal to save on the 'u'.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
false.
Isn't Wishbass American?
well, North Carolinian. the South is it's own country almost.
and quality control at Gibson is terrible, they cut so many corners I'm surprised they haven't shortened it to les pal to save on the 'u'.

i know but just in general, i put a disclaimer at the end
maybe my not so good english strikes again en people is not understanding me well
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Nutter_101
You forgot Germany and the rest of Europe. A lot of fantastic luthiers live and work in Europe.

An example for Germany - Warwick.

i have never played a warwick or any european basses so i did not feel like making an opinion on something i havent tried but most people seem to love warwick's quality
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400