could someone tell what chords i could use over E Aeolian(N. minor)
i know i can use Em and Am but what others can i use and why can i use them.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
The most common chords will be Em Am and Bm.

All the basic chords are Em, Fdim, Gmaj, Am, Bm, Cmaj, Dmaj. You can also add their 7th and so on.
Hello
Natural minor scale step pattern
W H W W H W W
So E minor scale = E F# G A B C D E

build triads using these notes by stacking thirds from the scale
First Triad = E G B = E minor
Second Triad = F# A C = F# º
Third Triad = G B D = G Major
Fourth Triad = A C E = A minor
Fifth Triad = B D F# = B minor
Sixth Triad = C E G = C Major
Seventh Triad = D F# A = D Major

Because the step pattern in the minor scale is always the same (W H W W H W W) you will always get the same intervals in the same chords. Which means in any natural minor scale the diatonic triads are always going to be
i; ii º; III; iv; v; VI; VII (where lowercase = minor; upper case= Major; and º=diminished)

Also note that these are the same diatonic chords used in key of G Major only in G Major G Major is obviously the tonic.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jul 30, 2008,
edited for accuracy, don't listen to what i said previously, i was thinking of a different mode (phrygian)
Last edited by z4twenny at Jul 31, 2008,
to make a diminished chord do you flat the perfect fourth of the g major scale?
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
Quote by z4twenny
please note that you can also use a "F major" because the notes F-A-C are in the scale, depending on the context though it may not function as an F major
^^That is wrong. There is no F in E Natural Minor.
E Natural Minor = E F# G A B C D

Quote by Jaxoo
The most common chords will be Em Am and Bm.

All the basic chords are Em, F# dim, Gmaj, Am, Bm, Cmaj, Dmaj. You can also add their 7th and so on.
^^Fixed

One Vision showed how to get the Diminished chord.

Here's some basics on Triad Construction if you're interested.
The following is basic chord construction. Understanding this will help you recognize and construct triads. As usual all numbers refer to the major scale.

A triad is two intervals of a third stacked on each other. And there are two different types of a Third Interval (Major and Minor). This creates four possible combinations for stacking two thirds. These combinations form four different triads they are Major, Minor, Augmented, and Diminished.

Major Triad = Major Third + Minor Third (1 3 5 the distance between the 1 and 3 is a major third and the distance between the 3 and 5 is a minor third. This creates a distance between the 1 and 5 of a Perfect Fifth)

Minor Triad = Minor Third + Major Third (1 b3 5 the distance between the 1 and b3 is a Minor third, the distance between the b3 and 5 is a Major Third. This creates a distance between the 1 and 5 of a Perfect Fifth).

Augmented Triad = Major Third + Major Third (1 3 #5 the distance between the 1 and 3 is a Major Third, the distance between the 3 and #5 is a Major Third. This creates a distance between the 1 and #5 of an Augmented Fifth)

Diminished Triad = Minor Third + Minor Third (1 b3 b5 the distance between the 1 and b3 is a Minor Third, the distance between the b3 and b5 is a Minor Third. This creates a distance between the 1 and b5 of a Diminished Fifth).
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jul 30, 2008,
B7 also works well with E minor even though there's no D# in E minor.
Quote by 20Tigers
^^That is wrong. There is no F in E Natural Minor.
E Natural Minor = E F# G A B C D

my bad, you're right i don't know why but i was thinking E phyrigian. i edited my previous post for accuracy
Read this. It's definitely the most organized and helpful chord-key guide I've ever read, and whaddayaknow, it's right here on UG!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401