Page 1 of 2
As the title says, my new amp is here.

It's wonderful, such a huge step up from my crappy Spider II.

However, I had to leave my Strat at the shop for a set-up, so I have to use my crappy Ibanez Gio for about a week. :|

Questions - Whenever I engage the Boost or Brightness (Channels 1 & 2, respectively), the amp emits a loud hum. Is it because of the crappy guitar, or is it normal to have this occur? If so, anyway I can stop or lessen the hum?
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

However, I had to leave my Strat at the shop for a set-up, so I have to use my crappy Ibanez Gio for about a week. :|

Questions - Whenever I engage the Boost or Brightness (Channels 1 & 2, respectively), the amp emits a loud hum. Is it because of the crappy guitar, or is it normal to have this occur? If so, anyway I can stop or lessen the hum?

Pics or it didn't happen! As some say...

Anyway, I'm not sure about the hum. Maybe a noise gate?
If you don't know what it looks like, I pity you. It's your standard run of the mill YCV50. It's big and blue. It sounds great, and you offered me no help. Thank you.

EDIT: Directed at Hirschberger.
Fine i'll help lol. just get a noise gate.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Thanks, sorry, I'm just agitated that I can't play my Strat.

How much do noise gates run for?

its alright dude i understand, strats rock.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ISP-Technologies-Decimator-Noise-Reduction-Pedal?sku=150368

runs about 123.99 on MF
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Dude a noisegate isnt going to fix anything.
I think it's like a fan, or something running in the amp. THat's what it sounds like to me anyway.
But then again, a noisegate through the loop could help a bit, but i doubt it will fix it all.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
hmm... do you have humbuckers? if not could be the single coils. If it's not single coils could be your electrical supply. try turning off lights and computers and tvs to see if that helps.... also try standing in a different spot.
congrats on the new amp! how much did you nab it for?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

Have you tried different gain and EQ settings?

That hum sounds pretty weird. Furthermore, that sucks, because the boost sounds great. I just leave it on all the time.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Have you tried different gain and EQ settings?

That hum sounds pretty weird. Furthermore, that sucks, because the boost sounds great. I just leave it on all the time.

I find moving my treble and mids around will lessen the hum, so like as long as both aren't maxed it is alright.

Something dawned on me. How far from the computer would I have to be? 'Cause I know if I'm too close, it could cause humming. I know it didn't hum in the store when I tried it.
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
hmm... do you have humbuckers? if not could be the single coils. If it's not single coils could be your electrical supply. try turning off lights and computers and tvs to see if that helps.... also try standing in a different spot.

Nah, it happens with humbuckers too.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I find moving my treble and mids around will lessen the hum, so like as long as both aren't maxed it is alright.

Something dawned on me. How far from the computer would I have to be? 'Cause I know if I'm too close, it could cause humming. I know it didn't hum in the store when I tried it.

That would've been my next question. Definitely move your amp away from your computer. I try to be at least 5-10 feet away from any electronics or fluorescent lights.
My Blues Juniour hums a bit when the Fat switch is off.

Maybe in your case there is something in the boost part of the circuit not shielded properly?
CRT Monitors, Hard drives, TVs, Power adaptors for EG phone chargers, modems, pedalboards etc and even radios are bad - try move your guitar and amp away from these sources if possible.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
CRT Monitors, Hard drives, TVs, Power adaptors for EG phone chargers, modems, pedalboards etc and even radios are bad - try move your guitar and amp away from these sources if possible.

+1

If you still have issues, I'd wait until you tried it with your Strat just to make sure it's not the Gio before investing in any pedals. In fact, I'd bring it back to the shop and show them the problem, first. It's possible you have a microphonic tube in there - or another problem.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna haul it to my jam space (garage) after and see how I fair. The stuff can be around, but turned off, right?

EDIT: I'm thinking maybe the grounding might play in. The amp is currently sitting on carpet, whereas if I move it, it shall be on thick wood.

Oh, and slats, you said something about a microphonic tube? If I just get new ones next time I go in, I can install them myself, can't I?
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at Jul 31, 2008,
Hum: You did say it was a crappy guitar you're playing with it until you get your Strat back; maybe it's not grounded properly.

Edit: Grats on a tasty amp!
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
EDIT: I'm thinking maybe the grounding might play in. The amp is currently sitting on carpet, whereas if I move it, it shall be on thick wood.

Haha. That has nothing to do with grounding, my friend. You've got the wrong idea.

Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Oh, and slats, you said something about a microphonic tube? If I just get new ones next time I go in, I can install them myself, can't I?

You could...but why should you? You just bought it brand new from the store, amiright?
Quote by MrCarrot

yeah, i've heard that. i need to figure out how to manage that with my own rig, seeing as how i have no room. at all.

Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna haul it to my jam space (garage) after and see how I fair. The stuff can be around, but turned off, right?

i think so, aye.

Quote by forsaknazrael
You could...but why should you? You just bought it brand new from the store, amiright?

agreed. i'm sick of people saying, "don't take it back, it's an easy fix!". you take it back because, if it's not the easy fix said internet "expert" envisaged, you may very well find that you've voided your warranty by attempting to solve the problem yourself.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 31, 2008,
Well, I dunno if this matters, but I did buy the floor model at L&M.

Meh, well I think I should be in the clear. If I have any more questions/concerns I will ask.

Thanks everyone!
if you bought the floor model, i'd definitely be taking it back. you buy the floor model to get it a bit cheaper, and perhaps not in as 100% pristine COSMETIC condition as a totally brand new one. you don't expect to get fobbed off with a faulty one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I knew I shouldn't have bought the damn floor model. They said they just got it in, but whatever. Any ideas as to what tubes are good? I play the blues, classic rock, classic metal, cleans, etc.
yeah, i mean if it didn't do it at the store and does it in your house, unless you're really unlucky and it broke on the way to your house, odds are there's something in your house wiring, or something causing interference in your house, which is causing it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I haven't tried it yet, I kinda need to eat breakfast, and stuff. But I will get back with the results sometime today.

Yeah, when I was in the test room with my Strat and this, it didn't hum except on pickup positions 1 3 5 like usual, cause of the SSS and inadequate shielding.

Mmm, Rice Krispies time...
Alright, well.

It still produces massive feedback in the garage, of all places.

I think it's the wiring in my Ibanez Gio.

However, when I was carrying the YCV up to the garage, I heard like a metallic rattle inside the chassis somewhere... any clue what that could be?

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
The rattling isn't a problem, like mentioned, that's the spring reverb. Not a problem. I leave mine in the car, it rattles around a bunch, still works decently (I say decently because it's not that great in the first place. )

I still think you should take it back - do you know if there was any kind of warranty on it at all?

Also, you need to clarify -
hum and feedback are too very different things. Hum is exactly what it sounds like, and the latter term refers to a high pitched squeal.
It's definitely a hum that increases in intensity when the boost is engaged.

There is the two year Traynor warranty on it, but my dad will be right pissed if it's not working and he has to drive back to L&M, since we have to go out of town to get there. And what with soaring gas (not G.A.S. lawl) prices, it's kind of a pain.
The garage have florescent lights? The rattle like said, is the reverb springs, that's fine and normal. Try the strat and let us know what happens then.
Does it make the hum without the guitar connected? Does the volume knob effect it when it is plugged in? (Does the hum go away when you turn the volume on the guitar to "0"?)
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
It's definitely a hum that increases in intensity when the boost is engaged.

There is the two year Traynor warranty on it, but my dad will be right pissed if it's not working and he has to drive back to L&M, since we have to go out of town to get there. And what with soaring gas (not G.A.S. lawl) prices, it's kind of a pain.

Email Traynor, first, see what they say?
Hmmm, the DC filaments should keep it quiet when you aren't playing, my ycv40 is dead silent when I'm not playing.

However, many things can screw up your signal chain. Bad ground in your guitar, cheap cables, cables that are bundled up, crappy wah.....
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Page 1 of 2