I wanted to get L&M to shield my guitar by adding the foil to it. However, the salesman there said that single coils will generate a buzz (which I knew) and said Fender already applies shielding to it? That can't be right? They actually shield it before they ship them off? Any idea?

My guitar is an '08 MIA Standard Strat by the way.
there's some shielding, but i dont know if it's through the whole cavity. you would need to look under the guard.

if it's not there, buy self adhesive foil and put it in urself.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah i think they are all "shielded" even the MIM. but it's not a complete foil line job. it's usually a certain amount between the pots and guard.

without doing anything, if you are getting buzz then go to stewmac.com spend $20 and take a half hour to line the cavity with self adhesive foil.

bottom of a mia...

i still opened it up and lined everything. i put it on a mim guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 30, 2008,
here is a link to foil lined cavities. note how he runs the foil over to the screw hole to ground it.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug06/images/guitarmain_l.jpg

and with a strat, there's really nothing you cant fix urself.
except maybe a neck. and even then you would just buy a new neck.

opening a guitar would in fact void a warranty.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

haha. it's not invisible. i guess if you ever sent out ur strat for work. i dont know what you would send it out for. then they would open it and see foil not from the factory.

if your strat is noisy then add shielding. it's just that simple.

but you know, it's ur decision.

maybe email fender if that makes you feel better. ask about this sepcific mod. and how it effects the warranty
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I don't think it should personally, but then again, I'm not a huge music corporation so...

The guy at L&M told me to call their repairman and ask. I might do that.
I dont think fender will ding you because you put easily removable foil tape inside the control compartment like they should have on a 1k guitar. Just like they dont void the engine warranty on a car because you get the windows tinted.
Quote by Tackleberry
I dont think fender will ding you because you put easily removable foil tape inside the control compartment like they should have on a 1k guitar. Just like they dont void the engine warranty on a car because you get the windows tinted.

Yeah man, that's what I'm thinking. It's not like I'm altering the guitar drastically.
you open it you void. and did you ever try to unglue tape? not easy.
to shield, pots and pups come off. if what you intend on complaining about is a bad pup or pot, then they would say, you altered something.

i'm not telling him Not to do it. i think he should shield his guitar.
i'm just not going to tell him that fender will honor it's agreement, when in actuality, they might not.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

haha i dont know man, when i buy a guitar, i never bother to send in the card.

if i want to return a guitar i'll know it before the usual 90 day return.

and if anything goes after that point, it's easy enough to fix.

i would think that shipping or bringing in a guitar to an authorized repair center so they can fix a faulty pot would cost way more in time and money than just buying the $8 pot and putting it in.

if you plan on returning the guitar then leave it as is.

if you plan on keeping or selling it, having it shielded would only be a plus.

if you plan on using the warranty card because you're having some issue with it, then wait until you're sure.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I love my Strat. I probably won't ever be rid of it. It just seems ridiculous, since I just paid it off so I own it 100%, and being scared to caress it, even. :|

I think I'll do what I please. Besides, if it does break, I don't mind taking it to the local repair shop.