I've been watching a few interviews and stuff from my favorite bands because I can't get enough of them. I watch them and I have just started to think to myself..."I won't be anywhere near that good." I am happy with my guitar playing so far. I know enough theory to make my own songs but... I lack the creativity. I can't make up the riffs for the genre I want and again I think..."I will never be in a band as good as that." Okay, so I guess the main thing I am moaning about is making a chord progression and soloing. I have made a few songs but their not the style I want it to be. This is really a rant and I had other things I wanted to say but I really forgot since its nearly 3 in the morning. So this isn't just me being whiny...
Could someone please give me some song making tips and soloing over them? Or to help my creativity?
I really ain't a noob at guitar it just seems I have hit a wall. Any help greatly appreciated.

- Lou
Quote by Fryer Mike
Well good for you. The first stage to recovery is admitting your problems.

Thanks for answering my question...
Quote by St.Loony
Thanks for answering my question...

Sorry. Honestly, what I did when I hit that wall is I found a hard song that is JUST (or even a little beyond) my skill level, and really sat down and took a but crack at it. I didn't learn all of it, but it absolutely took down the wall.

Good luck!
Quote by Fryer Mike
Sorry. Honestly, what I did when I hit that wall is I found a hard song that is JUST (or even a little beyond) my skill level, and really sat down and took a but crack at it. I didn't learn all of it, but it absolutely took down the wall.

Good luck!

Maybe I should do that. But it's not really my playing. It's more my music making I need help with. Thanks for the suggestion though
Learn theory?

Take advanced lessons?

Try playing a bit of piano or bass, it will give you another view into musical composition.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
Learn theory?

Take advanced lessons?

Try playing a bit of piano or bass, it will give you another view into musical composition.

I know enough theory to right songs

I do try

I started off with bass and play bass while writing. But I completely fail with piano
well learn more, you cant say you know all the theory you need to know yet cant write the genre you want. if you can hear it in your head and cant put it down then thats because your theory isnt up to speed.

also listen to more bands and more genres of music. that tends to spark up ideas easier.
Thing is really, you kind have to know what you would like it to sound like. Kind of like visions you get in your sleep, however creepy that may sound. Also waht helps me decide is not only listening the music of people, but studying it too. Kind of like trying to figure out a lot of people and all their different styles of playing. Then take what ever you like and try to use it. By that I DON'T mean stealing their ideas and their work.
Gear:
Gibson Flying V
Jackson RR3 w/ Zakk Wylde EMG's
'89 Marshall 8240 Combo Amp
Marshall MG10 CD
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell
Quote by FlyingV666
Thing is really, you kind have to know what you would like it to sound like. Kind of like visions you get in your sleep, however creepy that may sound. Also waht helps me decide is not only listening the music of people, but studying it too. Kind of like trying to figure out a lot of people and all their different styles of playing. Then take what ever you like and try to use it. By that I DON'T mean stealing their ideas and their work.

I try my best to do that. But I end up writing somethign that soudns excactly like another songs. I know what I want to sound like but... I don't know... I just can't seem to get it.
Quote by St.Loony
I know enough theory to right songs

I do try

I started off with bass and play bass while writing. But I completely fail with piano

Depends on what you are having trouble writing for..

Listen to classical music, listening to music other than what you are trying to write to give you new perspectives/ideas to adapt to what you are writing.

Learn more theory.

Write lots of songs, even if they are simple, and listen to them intensively to find what you like and dislike about them.

Take a composition class.

Scales, Modes, learn them.

If you are having trouble with chord progression and solos then it seems like you need to learn more theory.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪