Page 1 of 2
ok, so im playing a show in two weeks. all i have is a hundred dollars, and i need a thicker tone from my strat, seeing as its a progressive/expiremental screamoish band (think fall of troy...)
i play mainly in a punk/funk band, so i dont really want to beef it up too much.

what should i do?
im looking at single coil sized humbuckers, but ive heard nothing but bad things about them.

anyone...?
i like the seymour duncan hot rails, its pretty good check it out.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

what amp?

maybe add a pedal.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
what amp do you have?
If you're in a tight spot and need a quick fix, i'd say some form of overdrive or boost?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by jj1565
what amp?

maybe add a pedal.

some ****ty crate. if my Orange Rockverb gets here in time, then ill have that (18th birthday present. ) although it shouldnt. i ordered it two days ago.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^if that is the case then I wouldn't do anything until after you settle in with new amp. Congrats btw.

thanks
but weve already presold 32 tickets. i dont want my guitar to sound like im hitting a cat with a baby.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
thanks
but weve already presold 32 tickets. i dont want my guitar to sound like im hitting a cat with a baby.

Hahaha.

If it doesn't arrive in time, could you postpone the show a day or two? Or is that next to impossible?
Your strat will still sound like a strat through an Orange (the beauty of a good amp), you'll need humbuckers if you actually want to beef up your tone.

Hot rails might be a little too meaty, try the JB jr. Imo, a lot more versatile.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Hahaha.

If it doesn't arrive in time, could you postpone the show a day or two? Or is that next to impossible?

this really popular venue right outside dallas asked us to play for them the first day they move to their new location... on the 15.

its supposed to take 4-6 weeks anyway.

Quote by al112987
Your strat will still sound like a strat through an Orange (the beauty of a good amp), you'll need humbuckers if you actually want to beef up your tone.

Hot rails might be a little too meaty, try the JB jr. Imo, a lot more versatile.

i know. i love the sound of my strat... im gonna put the single coil back in after i buy my Epiphone Les Paul Custom... i kinda dont have the money right now...
Last edited by xrawrockkillsx at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
you could always rent an amp as back up in case Orange doesn't come in.

that's what i would do.

the amp isnt the reason my strat doesnt sound thick enough...
Dunno how David Gilmour does it, but he gets one of the thickest tones ive ever hear on his strats without the use of humbuckers. I'm guessing use an OD in front.
Quote by PiperDawnsGate
Dunno how David Gilmour does it, but he gets one of the thickest tones ive ever hear on his strats without the use of humbuckers. I'm guessing use an OD in front.

active EMGs... its like 400 for the whole set.

id LOVE those.
well, then i'm obviously confused by your OP. You said you didn't want to beef it up too much and you had concerns over SC sized buckers.

I would think a SSS guitar would be fine for Punk/Funk so I'm not sure what to tell you outside of get a full humbucker.

I just think the Rockverb is prolly going to sound better than what you have now and you may not need to spend $100 on a new pup. Pedal might help. Don't know. Sorry.
^I'd try something like that. Play with your EQ, use your neck pickup, etc. You can surely tweak it closer without having to waste money on something you'll probably only use once.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
active EMGs... its like 400 for the whole set.

id LOVE those.

Actually he was able to get IMO a much more thicker tone using the black strat for his On An Island tour. His black strat uses i think fender pickups for the neck and middle, and a seymour duncan (not sure wat model of pickup) for his bridge. I recommend a good OD and just put your treble lower and bass settings higher.
what gauge strings do you use?
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
EQ, maybe a tubescreamer running at 100% volume and 0% gain to thicken it up a bit.
Maybe you could borrow a guitar from one of your friends? A guitar with humbuckers?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
^ +1

or depending on your soldering skill, maybe try wiring bridge and middle in series?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why?

He doesn't love them. And he hasn't always used them, d00d.

He's using his neck pickup, btw, for the majority of his stuff.

Actually he uses his bridge pup for most of his stuff. i thought it was the neck too because his tone was so full even with the single coils. Then i researched it, he uses bridge pup for basically everything, i tried it out and it yeah, its definitely the bridge pup to get his tones.
Mid Boost? you could put in the actuall guitar or you could buy an EQ and boost the mids on that.
Quote by PiperDawnsGate
Actually he uses his bridge pup for most of his stuff. i thought it was the neck too because his tone was so full even with the single coils. Then i researched it, he uses bridge pup for basically everything, i tried it out and it yeah, its definitely the bridge pup to get his tones.

o rly?

well, in any case, I don't think the EMGs are key to getting his tone. It must be those magical Hiwatts, then.
In responce to the EMG thing.

Quote by Gilmourish
As Pink Floyd’s stage shows grew bigger and more complex; David needed pickups that could handle the amount of radio signals and interference from the huge light rig on stage. The old single coil pickups buzzed and hissed too much, which was a problem as early as the Wall tour.
Each of his red Stratocasters (and the cream coloured) has low impedance active EMG-SA single coils with Alnico magnets, which he beefs up with two more tone modules: the EXG mid-cut/expander & SPC mid booster, - controlled with the tone knobs. David mainly use the EXG feature on rhythms as it helps define the notes, especially with a mild overdrive. The EXG is like a V-set EQ boosting the treble and bass. The SPC boosts the midrange producing a tone close to a humbucker. The SPC is where you really hear the Gilmour sound emerge. Turn it all the way up and you get that thick bluesy sound used on Shine On, Another Brick2 etc.
and a big muff rams head, wid overdrive afterwards, and either dimarzio fs-1 then switched to a seymour duncan. But yeh if u really want gilmour's tone which is mainly in his control and fingers.. use this site to give you pointers:

www.gilmourish.com
Not sure about this, but there's a Lace pickup (the red one i believe) that's suppose to be a thick, high output pickup that will rival a humbuck thickness and output wise. Maybe drop one in your strat for the gig, and then change it out for your pop/funk gig?
Quote by thellamaking
In responce to the EMG thing.

Right. That's why he uses them, because of the noise issues. Not because he likes them.
Here:
Quote by Gilmourish.com
The guitar [The Red Strat] stayed as David’s main axe for the Momentary/Delicate tour (1987-’90) and the Division Bell studio sessions and tour in 1994. It’s also seen on countless TV- and guest-appearances throughout the 80’s and 90’s. David also used it on a couple of songs on the On an Island recoding sessions and tour, but commented that he prefered the Black Strat as the EMG pickups sounded “too much like humbuckers and not so much as a Strat”.

So yeah...
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why?

He doesn't love them. And he hasn't always used them, d00d.

He's using his neck pickup, btw, for the majority of his stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFrg_Ka8-II

arent those the emgs?
id love to have a tone like that...

Quote by PiperDawnsGate

every video ive seen of him live he has the neck pickup selected...

Last edited by xrawrockkillsx at Aug 8, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Maybe you would, but Gilmour doesn't. And they don't sound quite like single coils to me.

And yeah, he's using his neck pickup in that vid. Which supports my theory.

..i said i wanted them... not that david gilmour wanted them...

i also said i wanted a thicker tone out of my strat...
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFrg_Ka8-II

arent those the emgs?
id love to have a tone like that...

every video ive seen of him live he has the neck pickup selected...

Yes those are the emg's, but having those pups isn't going to get you that tone. Unless you have a mixed gauge set of strings, a bunch of custom modded and made effects/racks, along with that hiwatt, and gilmour's fingers, you will not get that tone.

Have all the videos of him you seen live been Shine On or clean songs? He mostly uses the bridge pup for everything dirty, especially just to get that feedback. Trust me i used to be a Gilmour fanatic and read up a lot about him and his gear.
EHX Knockout EQ?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Best way to thicken your tone for metal without comprimising your funk and punk tone is to get a compressor pedal.
Not taking any online orders.
You could try using the bridge and middle pickups with the tone rolled all the way off and plenty of overdrive, lots of reverb and a bit of delay if available. Might help if you play a bit harder as well.

Not saying this would be the ideal solution but you don't need to buy anything so maybe give it a go.
Page 1 of 2