So, I'm not looking for a practice amp... but a pre-amp (I'm going off to university and I do a lot of line-in recording)...

Yes, I don't live under a rock, I realize that Behringers are nothing but bad news (though I've never used any of their products myself)...

But if I'm pretty much always going to be using the line-out into my computer... Is a Behringer head still a terrible decision?

Some of them look pretty simple and hard to break down...

And I'm ashamed to admit that the prices are really the only reason I'm asking... I don't want to shell out 400+ for a used head that I'm only going to be doing low quality recordings on.
I've got the line-6 tone port... and the quality is VERY mediocre...

It does alright for the guitar "modeling"... but the bass stuff sounds pretty bad (with very little volume too)

EDIT: The line-6 is my input device for my computer, but I still use my amp before it because otherwise there is no volume or decent tone.
Just get a Line 6 Toneport, or a POD, or even a Digitech multi-fx pedal. Your money could be much better spent than on a head you'll never plug in to a cab.

EDIT: Okay, so you can still go for the POD or a Digitech pedal. Heck, even a Boss EQ pedal could do you better than a Behringer head.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Jul 30, 2008,
Also, isn't it counter-indicated to turn a head on without being plugged to a cab?
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
i have a digitech deathmetal pedal
what else would i need to record with it on my pc?

asking for myself and maybe to help TS get a cheap setup since digitechs pedals seem to sream out about there mixer output.
Behringer, has a hold on me,
oh my sound it just gives me pain,
BP80, will not make me die,
excuse me, while my bassline cries!

I'd just use a pedal or a toneport, like suggested.
as long as you refrain from using any effects whatsoever, a Tascam bass trainer might do. but I'd prefer just an EQ pedal.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Im going to have to agree with humanity with an eq pedal, this option will probably give you the best option for tone control. I own a behringer head and the tone control is a joke, im just using it for volume for band practice. You could also get a DI box like a sansamp if your after more "tubey" sound, but its gonna cost you more than than a stomp box.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
When I read the thread title "Behringer has got a hold on me... HELP" I was wondering if we were going to have to call in the exorcists of the bass forum.

But seriously, an EQ pedal or something like a BP80 (I use my BP200 for this as well) would work fine and come decently built and with a warranty and hardware that holds up.
personally i'd go with the Zoom B2.1U with usb interface etc...
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
if youre gona do low quality recording then get toneport. its simple to use, and it sounds awsome. go on the myspace link in my sig, all the recordings there are done through tone port.

EDIT: as for the EQ pedal, get the behringer one, ive got it and it sounds exactly the same as teh boss one but £40 cheaper and made of plastic rather than metal.
I use the Hartke Bass Attack preamp which I plug into my mixer, it works really well, the recording quality is awesome.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
TS, thinking about it, the recording quality will also depend on your computer's soundcard.

Ben has made an excellent point here, esp. if you own a laptop. Standard laptop computer sound cards are notoriously bad for recording, since they are not the best sound cards to begin with.
Buy a big -> wee plug, Plug your bass Straight Into the mic port, And stop acting like a big girls blouse!

Pre-amp my arse!

I recently knackered a set of PC speakers using my PC as a bass amp, that was through a zoom pedal 1st though, and plugged into the line-in socket, plus I may have Knackered them by playing music too loud, and they were cheapos...
Quote by anarkee
Ben has made an excellent point here, esp. if you own a laptop. Standard laptop computer sound cards are notoriously bad for recording, since they are not the best sound cards to begin with.

Not just laptop, the PC integrated main board sound cards are awful too, I've had exp with them, so we had to switch to drummers PC which has a SoundLib sound card (or at least I think so :S )
If you are recording via PC, 90% of the sound you get depends on the sound card. PERIOD.
when I purchased my Tone Port, I also got a new soundcard before it (I don't know the make, but it's works just fine)

EDIT:

But doesn't the Tone port become my sound card since it's got it's own driver and stuff?