OK guys.
To put this simply, me and a friend of mine are doing a dueling basses duo for our Higher School Certificate, and I'm looking for Riffs that can be easily manipulated, added to, taken from, pushed, pulled, and generally changed easily, yet still have an awesome sound.

The general stuff I'm looking at is things like Knights of Cyondia, by Muse, Second Solution, by The Living End, etc.

Basically, anyone have suggestions for things we can learn and possibly duel with?
I'm open to almost anything, although Id rather not a lot of heavy metal, and please god no country :P
I love to use Happy Birthday (yes, that happy birthday) for things like this.

but you should retranscribe dueling banjos for bass and use that! :P
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The bass breakdown in Metallica - Orion at 3:59 has a really cool sound, its not a simple line, but it does not sound like some wicked crazy shred. It is very chill and very open to being modified while still retaining the actual riff (in fact, in the song many variations of the same riff are played for a long time to make up that section of the song.)
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Maybe you should throw in some country, it'll be a nice little break.

then they could dress up like Primus in that video for Winona's Big Brown Beaver...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
but you should retranscribe dueling banjos for bass and use that! :P

This. At least taking parts of it, especially the beginning. It would be a great start. If you don't do it, i will!
Fler Ismaskiner!
The horn break in Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder.

I reckon you could rip a few good runs off that, or if I was there, i'd just play the whole damn thing.
I <3 that song.
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
Yeah, don't do actual bass parts, it'd be cool to rearrange horn, synth, banjo lines etc.
I recently made a tab of "In the Hall of the Mountain King." I do not know how good it is overall (have yet to go back through and actually check note for note, but it is alright. I love playing it randomly, its very recognizable.

I also play the Pink Panther theme a bunch.
Quote by TormentedRx
I recently made a tab of "In the Hall of the Mountain King." I do not know how good it is overall (have yet to go back through and actually check note for note, but it is alright. I love playing it randomly, its very recognizable.

I also play the Pink Panther theme a bunch.

The Pink panther theme is really fun to jam out.
Down from the Glen came the Marching Men
With their sheilds and their swords
To fight the fight they believed to be right
Overthrow the overlords...
any primus song with a good groove
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Ok, well, so far, me and the other bassist have simply been using bass riffs, and we have:

Opening - Second Solution - Living End.

We're doing the pre-chorus and the chorus to this, playing one part of the riff each, just to get our timing in sync, and to warm up, as such.

Solo - Wake Up - Rage against the Machines

This is the solo part for the other bassist. We decided we should each have at least one, maybe 2 sections, where we split from each other and show what we can do. This is his section (His 1st, anyways) to do this in.

Solo - Escape From HellView - CKY

This is where I come back in, and play the main riff of the song. Its an awesome riff, and shows moving up and down octaves. Ive rewritten a part of it, so that it shows more dynamics in music then the actual riff, and its a bit simpler (The 2nd part of the main riff was a bitch).

Solo - Cochise - Audioslave

Another solo (yes, pushing it, I know), again played by the other bassist. He plays the main riff, before moving into an A Key for me to play my next song.

Solo - Hysteria - Muse

I love this riff. Its so much fun to play, and it looks and sounds good when you see it played. This is going to be the last solo of the piece before we start properly dueling.

By now, its about 1:20 or so into the piece, leaving us at least 3 minutes for dueling.

Dueling Start - Mission Impossible Theme.

Ok, this begins like a solo. The other bassist begins playing the song, and goes through it once:

D: |---------------------------| |---------1-3---------------| Then return to the 1st
A: |---------1-3--------------| |-3-3-3-------3-3-3-1-2-| x1 part once again
E: |-3-3-3-------3-3-3-1-2-| x2.

Then I come in over the top and play another part of the theme in a higher octave:

G: |12p10------12p10------12p10--------------|
D: |---------12-----------11-----------10--10p9-| Etc, the rest of that bit of the theme.

Then, when I'm done with that part, I slide down the G string (Lol..?) and then we join and play the 1st part of the theme together once, before I keep playing it, and he plays what Ive tabbed as 2nd part an octave higher.

From here, we are not sure where to go. We think we're going to use a Pentatonic scale and a theme and variation to begin properly dueling and just keep that going until the end of the piece, which might be knights of Cydonia, we're not sure.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. keep it coming, its proving helpful.
It might be a bit more advanced then what you were looking for, but at least take some of the ideas in this piece an apply them to your own.
A Chick From Corea
Steve Bailey and Victor Wooten at there best IMO. It's actually one of the pieces I'm hoping to do for my HSC.
well, seeing as you need a core performance, and 4 other performances/musicologys/compositions, what else are you playing?
Quote by flea_is_my_god
well, seeing as you need a core performance, and 4 other performances/musicologys/compositions, what else are you playing?

Its a core performance, and 3 other items.
And Im doing:

Core - No idea, I'm still working on this one, but it's not worrying me (not in my trials, which are 2 weeks from now).
1st Elective - Miss Murder, AFI. I've adapted this one, cause I hated the down tuning, and so Ive added bits, taken bits out, got chords, scales, 'improvs' and other generally fun things for basses
2nd Elective - Bass Medley. What we've been discussing here.
3rd Elective - Muse Viva. I'm doing a musicology on the band Muse. I need to work on it a bit, but again, it's under control.

So Im mainly concerned about the Bass medley. Im working with both the other bassist and our guitar teacher to add more parts in, but Im looking for catchy riffs, that can be learnt in about 1 week or so. Also, they need to be able to be played around with (Ie, miss Murder is great for playing around with, Ive added so much crap into that riff its not funny (I'll Tab it at some point, but under Misc bands - not up for critisism about how thats not the way the band plays it)).

Anyways, just throw me some vidoes or songs, and I'll see what I can do.
Thanks for the help so far guys.

Quinny.

Ps, @ Mayano - No chance of me learning that in 1-2 weeks.. and it's too long, 5 Minute time limit. Lol. But thanks for the trying. Im also not that good. Im more the moderate skilled bass player.
If you can pull off slap, The Tommy the Cat riff sounds great and isnt as hard as it sounds, learn the Suck on This version,there's an excellent tutorial on youtube, it really helped me get it down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWew0hSRJ7U

fun fun fun fun, and impresses every time

I learnt it in a few hours,so you got time
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Well, we're just throwing some pieces together, and I'm writing the rest now. I'm a fair writer, so I'd say it'll all be good. but if anyone can think of any other pieces, throw em in. We'll pick and mix as we see fit :P

Thanks for the help guys.
Quinny