hey wazup everyone.

ive been playing electric guitar w/ my friends custom strat he was making a while back.

and finally just picked up my own.

got a Al-2000, heres a pic...

well yea back to topic.

seems ive been spoiled w/ my friends guitar so the fret buzz, kinda muddy sounding pickups, and small details are getting on my nerves so wanted to start fixing mine up as well.

list of things im already going to do are..

- Graphite Nut
- Ez-Lock Tuners
- Square Orange Caps .022uF
- Change Toggle Switch
- Set of GFS Fat Pat Black Nickel Pickups

now heres where my questions come...

1 ) for pots..

read on a couple of places 500k is best for les pauls, just wanted to confirm that..

2) for my pot setup..

i would like something like this..

the srv circuit is this in guitarfetish...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/onsexcimatou.html

any idea how ill be able to do that?

or it isnt possible?

3) or instead for the pot setup

http://store.guitarfetish.com/guprgaourbeu.html

would that be any good. it sounds like it would be great but dont want to drill to make room for a 5th pot, and have no idea what he meant in his option 2, which he said..

"Option 2 is what I like- buy the 50K Audio pot from us (Search for item # F30). Now you just feed the output rom your toggle switch directly to the circuit, jack the on board gain pot, and use the volume pot as a Master Gain control- Now the entire signal chain becomes LOW IMPEDANCE- NICE!"

4) whats the diff between mono and stereo jacks?

sorry ahead of time if any of these questions are stupid.

and thanks ahead of time for any help.
500k is standard for les paul.

Mono is standard, one direction. Stereo is used with active pickups, it lets you split the signal between left and right.

For example, neck is left channel, bridge is right channel.

I like the SRV one better, but rather than not have the option of tone for one pickup, I would drill a 5th hole.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
kk thx for the info.

so getting a stereo jack is worth it right?

i think i read it need to be connected to a 9 volt battery, but mod chips need to be as well so I'll end up getting a 9 volt battery anyways and thats not a prob.

yea i was liking the srv as well, but i really rather not drill, so you think there should be another way i may set this up?

i dont know if its possible, but maybe have one of the pots as a push/pull? down would be bridge and up would be neck? and use that for tone?
Well, you have to be pretty good at wiring... nd to be honest I don't know a lot about this. I would wait till you get another opinion.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
kk well thanks for your help so far and yea actually im pretty comfortable w/ wiring and etc. just not sure how i would setup the schematic.

lol yea not gonna order anything yet. want to be sure what Im going to do 1st.
i believe that that srv circuit is also a push pull pot so in one position its a tone control and the other it activates the pot effects and lets you contrl them so youll still have a tone control and wont have to drill a 5th hole
Guitars
Agile 3100 Lp with Floyd Rose @ SD classic blues pups
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
Digitech Tone Driver Overdrive
dunlop 535q
Quote by TreeOfHalfLife
i believe that that srv circuit is also a push pull pot so in one position its a tone control and the other it activates the pot effects and lets you contrl them so youll still have a tone control and wont have to drill a 5th hole

yea i read that it was a push/pull pot

but i thought when its down it was just dead and did nothing, no tone or volume. and only thing active was the effects when pulled up.

if its how you say it is then awesome, that saves a ton of headaches lol

do you know how i would go about wiring it?
Last edited by AiL45 at Jul 31, 2008,
im like 90% sure that it will be a tone when the circuit is not activated, im sure someone with experience with something similar to it would know better. as for the wiring, anytime i got anything electronic from gf they provided a schem with it, i assume they would do the same for that showing you how to wire it into a normal lp wiring
Guitars
Agile 3100 Lp with Floyd Rose @ SD classic blues pups
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
Digitech Tone Driver Overdrive
dunlop 535q
kk thanks for the help.

anyone can confirm about the SRV circuit?

or any other comments?