Ok so I already know a bit about recording. I was planning on getting...
1.A Shure SM-57LC
2. Either a Tapco Mix 120 and a Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202 USB-Audio Interface or..... an inspire 1394

my questions are...
1. the guy at the store said that the inspire 1394 works as a mixer and an interface. would this be better than the other option?
2. Is this a good choice for beginners
3. Do these things usually come with the cables i need? if not, how expensive do they generaly cost? thanks for the help
1. Yes, basically.

2. Seems so.

3. No. Cables can get expensive, but they don't have to be. To a degree, you get what you pay for if you buy really cheap, but if you buy really expensive.... not so much. You should be able to pick up a mic cable for about a dollar a foot. (they're not sold by the foot, but $25 for 20 foot cable.... $60 for a 50 foot cable, etc.) And don't forget stands.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
stick with the 1394, it will come with a firewire cable to link to your PC, thats it...well in terms of cables.

youll want to get some XLR mic cables, stands, and a set of headphones if you dont want to get studio monitors. Musiciansfriend has a nice mic stand which comes with a 20 or 25 foot mic cable for just $20. I ordered two more last night just for the stands and cables TBH.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-MS7510-Mic-Pro-Pak?sku=270619

The mic was ...ok... not great but the mic clip broke soon after putting a mic in it so get a replacement clip if you can...I like the rubber ones from MF. The cable has been lasting me for 5 months now on the other stand I have and I coil them up every day after I use them.

zzounds has the standard 57 pack with a cable and stand for just $24 more which is worth it:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUSM57LC

but I think the Mic pack from MF has the better stand.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 31, 2008,