You would need years of experience on sailing to sail around the world on your own.

My recommendation: work in a containers ship.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Yeah, I figured, which is why I guessed it would be good to get a job on a boat like you said.
Wouldn't container ships be huge and not really give sailing experience?
Edit: or were you just saying i should use that as a means of sailing the oceans
Huh???

Get a boat?!

On a side note, i know how to sail... sorta... i won't break the boat atleast!

But yeah, do you have any experience sailing??
Its easy if there's not much wind. Its a nightmare (but fun!!) when the winds are strong. A little scary too. The wind can almost blow a light sailboat over.

What i recommened you is to learn to sail on small boats/dinghys first. They're tougher to control in strong winds than a bigger boat (as they lack the stability of a big boat) but they're real fun and will teach you how to control the sails n boat fast...
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by BigBassFishing
Yeah, I figured, which is why I guessed it would be good to get a job on a boat like you said.
Wouldn't container ships be huge and not really give sailing experience?
Edit: or were you just saying i should use that as a means of sailing the oceans

I meant to explore the world on your own. Not to give you experience to sail on your own.
If what you want is to sail, well I don't really know. But starting to sail would be a good start .
Since I went to a navy school, we had sailing lessons for a year. It really isn't very easy. We were in some small boats in teams of like 10 students per boat. It was quite hard because we had to work in a team, pulling from ropes, going from one side of the ship to the other fast to give counter weight in waves or strong side winds.
Obviously, if you get a motor boat with an automatic sails system, it's going to be WAY easier.
Here's the kind of ship that we used:

I really loved sailing. My friends used to hate it . How can they hate doing team exercise in the sea?
Sadly, on the later school years, only those that picked the sailing specialization classes had those lessons.
I picked electronics.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Jul 30, 2008,
There are courses you can take to learn to sail. Pick up a sailing magazine and browse through the ads in the back.
Umm, you realize there's a boating class you can take? Your state should offer a sailing course. And since your location is NOLA, I'm guessing that means you're in Nawlins, so there should be a class like that offered by the Coast Guard.
But am I here? I find it hard to tell
I do a good impression of myself
But what's normal now, anyhow

Quote by LordBishek
I'm going to hunt her down and throw copies of the God Delusion at her until she breaks.