Page 1 of 2
hey UG,
so im looking into a new amp, i have about $1000 to spend. i would perfer if it was a combo. i play shred(petrucci,vai,gilbert,satch) and fusion(guthrie govan,allen hinds,greg howe,richie,kotzen,frank gambale ect...) i need a amp with amazing cleans and a great overdrive for shred. i've tried the fender deluxe and deville there overdrive isn't great.i dont really like the peavey line. i have tried the mesa f-30 and the clean was great,the over drive i found for a rythem not really great for lead.
so if you have any suggestion please drop a line.
thanks
if you like the mesa f-30 for cleans and rhythm drive, why not get that and a pedal for lead?
Traynor YCV50 Blue FTW! it will also save you some money.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
well if your looking for some tubage, the Line 6 Spider Valve 212 40W sounded pretty good. bogner designed it, its not to bad.

That line 6 can get you any sound youll need or maby you might want a traynor?

i would also suggest a Traynor YCV80Q Custom Valve 4x10 Combo Amp, youtube em and check out the sounds. see if you find anythin you like
Quote by ibanezshred503
well if your looking for some tubage, the Line 6 Spider Valve 212 40W sounded pretty good. bogner designed it, its not to bad.

That line 6 can get you any sound youll need or maby you might want a traynor?

i would also suggest a Traynor YCV80Q Custom Valve 4x10 Combo Amp, youtube em and check out the sounds. see if you find anythin you like

nah i didnt like the traynor or the line 6
Definitely check out a Carvin MTS 3200.

Some of the best cleans you will ever hear coupled with an absolutely amazing lead channel.

Essentially the best amp you can buy for the money, combo is like $700 new.
i just went to youtube and checked out the carvin mts it sounds pretty sick but no clean channel video's thats the overdrive tone i've been searching for but i live in canada and shipping would be like 300+ cause of the weight and because its being shipped to canada it 3 times more expensive then shipping it to the US so :S
i just found a vid of the v3 and i found a fusion tone i wanted and the shred tone too!!!!
V3 is mine lol
does anyone know if you buy it from carvin.com if its tax already included into the price?
Dunno, but it's a decent amp.

My co-guitarist is selling his V3...100W halfstack for 1100.

Here's some GOOD clips of the YCV50.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/sum_ugly_man/
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/kool98769/

And the clips in my profile are done with a Traynor YCV40, and a reall really crappy computer mic. My co-guitarist is using a V3.
Actually the Spider Valve is a decent bit of kit and I can see its appeal though it has to be said that it wasn't for me. I was looking for an amp at a similar price and it's not easy as you're above the cheap amps but not spending enough for a really good one. I narrowed it down to the Spider Valve, Laney VC30 and Marshall DSL401 (I'm guessing at prices there as I'm UK based). The SV was versatile but some patches were still too digital and at the end of the day, who realistically needs that many options? The Laney was fantastic for the money but is limited and would need a pedal to beef up the drive. Ultimately I went for the Marshall as it offered (for me anyway before someone says I'm mad) a very good clean channel with a surprising amount of headroom, great OD1 channel for AC/DC type sounds and great OD2 channel for 80s type Metal. It does still need a pedal to reach modern high gain levels but as a package it's very good.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
I was looking for an amp at a similar price and it's not easy as you're above the cheap amps but not spending enough for a really good one.

yeah.

i'd take a look at the kustom coupe, and i haven't tried a carvin before, but i guess that one the threadstarter is talking about would be worth a try too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Dunno, but it's a decent amp.

My co-guitarist is selling his V3...100W halfstack for 1100.

Here's some GOOD clips of the YCV50.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/sum_ugly_man/
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/kool98769/

And the clips in my profile are done with a Traynor YCV40, and a reall really crappy computer mic. My co-guitarist is using a V3.

my teacher is endourced my traynor he uses the YCV40 i dont really dig it i need something with some heavy distortion, i no longer want to realy on distortion pedals i to have a amp thats guitar>amp.
Quote by Doadman
Actually the Spider Valve is a decent bit of kit and I can see its appeal though it has to be said that it wasn't for me. I was looking for an amp at a similar price and it's not easy as you're above the cheap amps but not spending enough for a really good one. I narrowed it down to the Spider Valve, Laney VC30 and Marshall DSL401 (I'm guessing at prices there as I'm UK based). The SV was versatile but some patches were still too digital and at the end of the day, who realistically needs that many options? The Laney was fantastic for the money but is limited and would need a pedal to beef up the drive. Ultimately I went for the Marshall as it offered (for me anyway before someone says I'm mad) a very good clean channel with a surprising amount of headroom, great OD1 channel for AC/DC type sounds and great OD2 channel for 80s type Metal. It does still need a pedal to reach modern high gain levels but as a package it's very good.

my same friend with the jsx, his little brother has a marshall dsl401 the distorion is horrible lol the cleans are decent.
Quote by Ghold125
a used peavey jsx

+1 on that

Very versatile amp, overdrive is surprisingly smooth and creamy for a high gain amp. cleans are super super clean. Only problem is that there is no reverb built in. Once i can afford one im selling my dsl for a jsx.
Quote by PiperDawnsGate
+1 on that

Very versatile amp, overdrive is surprisingly smooth and creamy for a high gain amp. cleans are super super clean. Only problem is that there is no reverb built in. Once i can afford one im selling my dsl for a jsx.

i only like the jsx for rythem also i dont really like to use signature heads especailly when i want this to be my last amp.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, I don't know whats at the upper end of the spectrum, but the Randall RG50TC gets pretty heavy, and has decent cleans.

not for me...im seriously thinking about the Carvin V3 but i can't try it out
Quote by tenaciousjp
my same friend with the jsx, his little brother has a marshall dsl401 the distorion is horrible lol the cleans are decent.

It's all personal preference obviously so just as I found the Randall horrible, so you can say the DSL401 is horrible. You're wrong, but I will certainly defend your right to be wrong

You want great cleans and really heavy distortion but I think you need to take a reality pill here because if you want a new amp on your buget that does everything fantastically well, I don't think you're going to find it. When I looked at the Randall for instance I thought the high gain stuff was pretty good but the rest of the amp was extrememly average at best, the Laney had great cleans and low level crunch but needed help for anything else. The Spider Valve did loads but a lot of it was very average and the Marshall gave me great cleans and very good distortion if you like that classic Marshall sound but didn't do very high gain. Guess what, I had to make a choice and find a way to deal with the compromise I had to make. Let's face it, if I could buy an amp that did everything genuinely well for that price, who'd buy anything that was more expensive? In our currency a new DSL401 would have cost me £450 and I had a limit of £500 so I bought an amp that was one year old, mint condition, never gigged and had a Celestion G12T-75 installed and a brand new set of JJ Tesla valves. That set me back £280 and the modifications have made a very good amp great. Now the only thing it needs is more gain for some of the modern Metal I play and that is easily solved with a good quality pedal. Why did I do it that way? Because on a very high gain amp, you'll never be able to give it good cleans if it doesn't already have them but an amp with a good clean can always be made into a high gain monster. Once my Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem arrives I will have a very good quality amp thanks to the modifications that will do everything from glassy cleans to face melting distortions and I'm still inside your buget by $2-300

That is why I object to you giving me a 'lol' for the amp I chose to buy. Whatever choice you make is entirely a matter for you and I won't laugh at you even if you choose a Marshall MG half stack. I have looked for something very similar to you and I assure you I looked into it very carefully so when I saw your thread I was happy to offer the benefit of my experience in the hope that it may help. I don't mind if you take my advice or not as it's your money but I do expect to be given a small degree of courtesy and respect for at least trying to help you.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by tenaciousjp
hey UG,
so im looking into a new amp, i have about $1000 to spend.
thanks

People that have $1000 aren't expecting to compromise. Except in Australia, sorry mates...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Doadman
It's all personal preference obviously so just as I found the Randall horrible, so you can say the DSL401 is horrible. You're wrong, but I will certainly defend your right to be wrong

You want great cleans and really heavy distortion but I think you need to take a reality pill here because if you want a new amp on your buget that does everything fantastically well, I don't think you're going to find it. When I looked at the Randall for instance I thought the high gain stuff was pretty good but the rest of the amp was extrememly average at best, the Laney had great cleans and low level crunch but needed help for anything else. The Spider Valve did loads but a lot of it was very average and the Marshall gave me great cleans and very good distortion if you like that classic Marshall sound but didn't do very high gain. Guess what, I had to make a choice and find a way to deal with the compromise I had to make. Let's face it, if I could buy an amp that did everything genuinely well for that price, who'd buy anything that was more expensive? In our currency a new DSL401 would have cost me £450 and I had a limit of £500 so I bought an amp that was one year old, mint condition, never gigged and had a Celestion G12T-75 installed and a brand new set of JJ Tesla valves. That set me back £280 and the modifications have made a very good amp great. Now the only thing it needs is more gain for some of the modern Metal I play and that is easily solved with a good quality pedal. Why did I do it that way? Because on a very high gain amp, you'll never be able to give it good cleans if it doesn't already have them but an amp with a good clean can always be made into a high gain monster. Once my Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem arrives I will have a very good quality amp thanks to the modifications that will do everything from glassy cleans to face melting distortions and I'm still inside your buget by $2-300

That is why I object to you giving me a 'lol' for the amp I chose to buy. Whatever choice you make is entirely a matter for you and I won't laugh at you even if you choose a Marshall MG half stack. I have looked for something very similar to you and I assure you I looked into it very carefully so when I saw your thread I was happy to offer the benefit of my experience in the hope that it may help. I don't mind if you take my advice or not as it's your money but I do expect to be given a small degree of courtesy and respect for at least trying to help you.

well doadman,
i have to say i have the need to vent a little. i understand you think your amp is more then able to give YOU the tone YOU want but i've had enough experience with the marshall DSL401 and i found the amp wasn't for me the amp was EXTREMELY noisy on the clean,OD1 and OD2...but who knows that maybe with my friends amp only. you were fortunate enough to get a amp you knew you wanted unlike me i want this to be my very last amp with the tone i want. but from what i heard from the amp i didnt like. but i do thank you for responding to my thread and i thank you for your help but you must understand where im coming from. the marshall dsl 401 that my friend has i dont like it. as said before it had extreme buzzing and thin tone, but that maybe the valves or whatever but from what i heard i didnt like it.
And I have no problem with that at all. As I said, you are entirely welcome to decide that the amp isn't for you, whether that is because the one you experienced was a poor one or because the Marshall tone isn't for you; either way, it is your choice. The only thing I objected to was your inclusion of 'lol' in your response because it seemed to imply that you were merely listening to a raving lunatic whose comments were beneath contempt. I think it would have been far more appropriate to merely thank me for my information but you'd had a poor experience of Marshall or you just didn't like the Marshall tone rather than simply laugh at me. It's not what you said that annoyed me, it's the way that you said it. Perhaps I read too much into your comments or the 'lol' was a typo, in which case I apologise for my outburst but that is why it annoyed me at the time, just so you understand.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by forsaknazrael
^That's actually a pretty weird range. It puts you in the range of some good used amps, but not yet into the versatile good tube amps. Yet it's still well above the more affordable amps.

agreed. it depends on what you want to play, and the situation (e.g. if you have a gig in a week you might not have time to save up for something better), but personally if i had $1000 to spend on an amp, i'd save up until i had $1500+ so i could get something kickass which'd do exactly what i wanted (thought granted you might get lucky second-hand).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^well its not it really being a signature series its that i just dont like it it wasnt for me i play on the jsx has all the time and he's even selling it. but i was thinking of a other rig that may or may not work. so i was thinking a fender deville then for a shred tone ill buy that vox satchurator. and for my fusion tone i'll get a xotic ac plus with a xotic ac booster with chorus and a delay...i dont know if that will work :S
maybe it's just me but if I had tht much money I wouldn't be hangin' around the forum I'D BE IN A GUITAR STORE TRYIN' OUT AMPS. TRY some out and pick one you like. Everybody has $1000 in these threads and ain't sure what to do - TEST EM OUT is the best way 'eh.... Everybody in here likes something different - like cars or women... Well not everyone - this place is actually crawlin' with CLASSIC 30 lovers. I can't stand Peaveys - NONE OF EM. So use your EARS.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by tenaciousjp
a friend of mine has a jsx i use it all the time and i dislike it

How can you dislike perfection!??

I was going to recommend the JSX but you've already shot that down...
Quote by i_am_metalhead
How can you dislike perfection!??

I was going to recommend the JSX but you've already shot that down...

hahaha yeah my friend sold the jsx today. i tried out the spider valve today..i have to say...its sick

i also tried the fender deville...that was sick too

the over drive channel on the fender was pretty good (with the more gain switch on) i was thinking put a bb preamp on top of that for a bit of gain or the satchurator what do you guys think?
The fender isn't renowned for good od. Why not look used, the Deville's go for $500-$600? Just as an example if you like that particular amp. You can get a lot more for $1000 on the used market, IMO.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I like how you like generally disliked amps (like the HRD's more gain setting) and dislike great amps like the JSX.

thank you,
i've tried the jsx and dont like it i dont like it for lead and if im going to be spending 1399 for the jsx i want it for lead( but i would need a od or dist pedal for lead possibly) so why spend 1399 when you can spend 600 for a amp with amazing cleans and a good od channel then with 400 to play with?!?1...i think i have made my decision LMAO
Page 1 of 2