Hi, I play a Epiphone SG special out of a Peavey ValveKing Royal 8, with a Boss MD-2 (Mega Distortion) I get an amazing sound of my amp on the first 3 bass strings but everything past that sounds terrible. I havn't changed my strings since i first got it (mid-june) but its been happening since the first week i got it. The sound i get out of the bottom 3 string is very BAD. Every time i try to fret a note it sound as if im bending the string slightly. I know it really doesnt sound like a big problem on paper. But its really makes me mad that whenever I solo, I get this crappy sound. Has this happened to anyone else? How do i fix this problem. Thanks.
It's probably the strings, but it's also the intonation. Take it to your local Luthier to get it set up. It usually runs about 30 bucks.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
It sounds like your technique, not strings. Practice avoiding that is all I can say.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
If playing just one note sounds bad(like me), it's probably a problem with your intonation. I do get the same and yeah, it really sucks when even one single note sounds like hell.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Possible issues.

If its cuz of buzzing-action/trussrod
sloppy- your technique
crappy quality-technique/amp equalizer

always get new strings wen u buy a guitar.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
This is usually a problem with either intonation or old strings. Intonation is pretty simple to adjust, just google for a guide on how to do it.
It is the tuning of each fret on the fretboard. Having good intonation means each note sounds as the right pitch. With a guitar, it is a close as possible, but not perfect, unless you have staggered frets (which are custom done).
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
intonation is... how do i put it.

if you have correct intonation, your guitar will be perfectly in tune anywhere you play on the neck. certain things like humidity cause the wood in your guitar to warp, bow etc. and it can make that impossible to do. a luthier can make the correct tweaks to make the intonation back where it should be.

it's not hard to do yourself, but takes patience. being a n00b lol, i would recommend taking it in.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Quote by theacousticpunk
It is the tuning of each fret on the fretboard. Having good intonation means each note sounds as the right pitch. With a guitar, it is a close as possible, but not perfect, unless you have staggered frets (which are custom done).

+10 haha. i couldnt think of how to put it. i'm half awake XD
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
oh and if your just practicing at home, I would recommend changing your strings about once a month.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)