I was wondering if most electric guitar starter kits have guitars that have wide frets, I have such trouble hitting very simple chords with my current rip-off guitar, and barred chords are pretty much impossible, and it just seems like every fingering to the the middle strings (A, D, G, B) barely touch and mute the strings above and below it. I damn near have to put my guitar to my chin to get the fingers right and they still mute strings if I move a little bit. So are most starter kits mini guitars or full size guitars? I'm hoping to buy one soon in a few days
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
I see you've only been playing for a little while, so maybe you just need practice. I have large hands as well as fat fingers so it was tough at first for me to play any chords. I practiced lots and eventually had no problems whatsoever. It's all in how you angle things. But you can get larger sized guitars. I've never seen any starter kits that are larger sized...most are regular and then some are 3/4 sized (usually for kids and such, like the Hannah Montana guitar I saw today).
Actually, they're just like any other electric guitar, but you can look out for a starter with jumbo frets, but I'm not sure of this.
Quote by Canucks486
Actually, they're just like any other electric guitar, but you can look out for a starter with jumbo frets, but I'm not sure of this.

That might work a little bet but i think the best thing TS can do is get a guitar with a larger scale. This means that the frets will be slightly more apart. Also look for guitars with slightly wider necks.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Oh ok, I think my guitar is 3/4 then, and yea I hope I can find one with wider necks and not thicker frets, what is the standard width of necks?

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
-Shopping list-
play bass. you sound perfect for it. look at the bass player from nektar, huge ass hands! but he is one of the greatest bassists ever
Uh, no offense to bassists but, is it any fun to be a bassist if you're most likely to never be in a band?

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
-Shopping list-
well ya its actually really fun. i actually like playing bass along with my favorite songs more than playing guitar. but im just better at guitar.
Quote by lithiumftw
well ya its actually really fun. i actually like playing bass along with my favorite songs more than playing guitar. but im just better at guitar.

hah, same here though i haven't played bass in about a year (i was the bassist for the concert/marching band while in high school) and i don't own one.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by XxDre09xX
Uh, no offense to bassists but, is it any fun to be a bassist if you're most likely to never be in a band?

Definately. There is so much more to bass than what 95% songs have as bass.

Still, don't go for it because you feel you are more suited to one physically. Anarkee (a bass forum mod) started playing bass after playing guitar for years. She is just over 5' tall, has tiny hands, and plays a fretless Stingray (pretty big necks, and the fretless means that is amkes it even harder for people will small hands). She has no problem at all.

All it will take is practise. Go as slow as you need. Once you have it learned, you will never find big hands to be a problem, and it may even start to help you.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Dude , bassists are more likely to get in bands as most people like the lime-light by playing guitar so they start a band as a lead or rhythm and then they need a bassist
Quote by BeastyBassist94
Dude , bassists are more likely to get in bands as most people like the lime-light by playing guitar so they start a band as a lead or rhythm and then they need a bassist

No one else likes rock as much as I do in my neighborhood, actually im the only one that doesnt like Lil Wayne, Young Jeezy, and all that stupid **** in my whole school so yea, I'm not getting in a band whatsoever

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
-Shopping list-
Buckethead has big hands. He plays terrific. Make him as your inspiration while having lotsa practice. keep it up!
If i can make a recommendation....take advantage of your big hands.

Jimi hendrix had huge hands too and hardly ever needed to play barre chords because he used his thumb to fret the root note. That way he could work little melodies in while he still kept the rhythm going.

Anyway, don't give up playing now. Keep practicing and you'll get better.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband