Ok, so everyone here should know the difference between magma and lava, if not here it is: lava is when the molten rock is on the outside of the volcano, magma is when its on the inside.

Now, heres the question.
seeing as oxygen doesn't chemically affect the magma in any way, and there are no differences(chemical or physical) in the two molten rock flows, why do they have different names?

I find it pointless.
It doesn't matter. Whatever we call it, it's the same stuff. So why argue?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
lava is when the molten rock is on the outside of the volcano

magma is when its on the inside.
Quote by burrit0

no ****.
tl;dr I presume.
I've actually always had a fantasy about jerking off into the mouth of a volcano, and I was always curious if I would be blowing my man milk into lava or magma.
Quote by ugsusheyftef
no ****.
tl;dr I presume.
You asked why they have different names, so I answered. You need to chill cuddy.
Quote by burrit0
You asked why they have different names, so I answered. You need to chill cuddy.

why would you give something a different name, if its the same thing?
Actually..

Lava is when the molten rock is above the ground, Magma is below.. It has nothing to do with volcanoes.
Last edited by Dog-- at Jul 31, 2008,
Quote by ugsusheyftef
Lava cools down and turns into rock, right? Magma just stays in the Earth all liquidy and stuff. That's the best I can really explain because I sucked hard at Science.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that the inside of the volcano would obviously be hotter than the outside so the same item just has a different texture/thickeness. so basically lava is thicker than magma.
I actually messed up, I didn't mean Asthenosphere, I didn't know what sphere I was thinking of, my bad! Just call it ground lol.
Quote by burrit0

Yep.

I'm assuming the difference in names is solely for stating it's status, whether it is in the earth's core and flow system or if it has surfaced into the atmosphere.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Dog--
Actually..

Lava is when the molten rock is above the ground, Magma is below.. It has nothing to do with volcanoes.

really good response.
But it still doesn't answer the question as to why they have different names.
Quote by evening_crow
Yep.

I'm assuming the difference in names is solely for stating it's status, whether it is in the earth's core and flow system or if it has surfaced into the atmosphere.

that actually makes a little sense.
thanks.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I've actually always had a fantasy about jerking off into the mouth of a volcano, and I was always curious if I would be blowing my man milk into lava or magma.

+1
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by paulvxD
Isn't magma the gunk in your foreskin?

hahahaha im hoping that was a joke
hahahahahahaha.
Quote by devilscruffs14
once i banged a 5 year old chick, i love banging older women.

HAHA
Quote by paulvxD
Isn't magma the gunk in your foreskin?

Smegma
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
liquid, hot magma!

Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Sorry.

They may name it differently just to tell the difference when discussing it (between geologists).

In Hawaii there is a currently active volcano (very slow one), and there are little holes here and there on the uppermost layer of hardened lava where you see the magma below, and geologists take samples of the magma. Now, if they were both called lava, for example, how would you know if they took a sample of the hardened rock from the surface (the hardened lava), or if they took a sample of the liquid molten rock underneath (the magma)?

Instead they say 'I'll take a sample of the magma, and you take a sample of that lava' or something along those lines. I don't think it has anything to do with the chemical makeup of the two.

Or another theory from me, since, yes, there are gases in the liquid rock (be it magma or lava), since magma is underground, it has no room to release the gases, but when it is lava, it can release those gases freely.
What video? I'm actually just genuinely interested in geology.. It's actually pretty fascinating when you get to the good stuff. I actually took a class called 'Physical Geography', where all we studied was Volcanoes, Tornadoes, Avalanches/rock slides/landslides/mudslides (all different!), Tsunamis/Earthquakes, etc.

Awesome class, we never watched a molten rock video where they featured this particular volcano in Hawaii, I think I first seen something about it on the Discovery channel around 10 years ago, I've known about that volcano for a long-ass time now.
Same thing with meteors.

Meteoroids are rocks floating in space.

Meteors are rocks flying through the atmosphere.

Meteorites are rocks in the ground.

Same stuff, just in a different place, right?
Quote by H^2

Wise words Trashfan.

trashfan
Quote by Chubbychunks
It's not going to be that great. Although particle physics does give me a hadron.
Quote by thrashfan
Same thing with meteors.

Meteoroids are rocks floating in space.

Meteors are rocks flying through the atmosphere.

Meteorites are rocks in the ground.

Same stuff, just in a different place, right?

Actually no.

Asteroids (assuming that's what you mean by "meteoroids") are rocks in outer space composed of mainly ice and soft rock/silicates. They are past the freezing line (certain distance from the sun which determines whether water exists as a solid or not). They're usually in the Asteroid Belt, the two clusters of objects along Jupiter's orbit known as the Jovians, and the Ort(sp?) Cloud

Meteors are rocks in outter space composed of hard rocks and dense metals and contain no ice. They are found before the freezing line.

Meteorites are meteors that have gone into the atmosphere AND reached ground on a planet.

That's the best i can describe them at the moment... Yes, i had astronomy last semester.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by metalwarrior40
liquid, hot magma!

Oh you f***ing got me!

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Magma?

EDIT: Oh ffs, I should read the thread first before trying to make a mildly witty reply.
Quote by chillininfl
dude, you don't even deserve her. women deserve respect. not rights, but respect. =]
Quote by GiantRaven
Having absolutely no body hair streamlines you. Means you can play guitar faster

so im in my second year of geology right now at uni, so il toss in my 2 cents

the stuff in the ground is differnt to the stuff above ground. when magma cools underground it cools slowly so it can big minerals, eg your granite kitchen top. A lava of the same chemical composition will cool much fater above ground and create ...dacite?... i think (my igneous petrology is alittle sloppy)

i think what im trying to say is magma produces intrusive igneous rocks, and lava creates extrusive igneous rocks. so it helps to call them differnt things because they create differnt things
Im all outa signature
to be specific.

i could call you a human, but that is very broad. if i call you a moron, thats less broad. that removes at least 2% of the human population. then i know youre one of the 98%.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by ugsusheyftef

Because it's not the same thing. Magma's inside, lava is outside. It's not the most difficult concept in history.